Gromit

'Welcome to F3f '.

Gromit

'Welcome to F3f'.

I am starting this thread in the hope of encouraging  more pilots into F3f.  With collective input from us regular F3f pilots about all aspects of this exciting, rewarding & fun discipline of our sport, I believe such a thread may achieve this. 

As an example, our giving hints tips & advice on models, model set up, ballasting, turn styles, etc etc  would be very helpful to anyone new to F3f.

Within my role as comp secretary of the Whitesheet RFC I am going to organise an 'welcome to F3f day' on our Whitesheet slopes.  All credit for this 'cracking' idea is to go to fellow Whitesheet member Graeme Mahoney. Graeme approached me with his idea during the recent English Open event.  With the English Open now having been staged I now have the time to organise such a day, plans are in fact already underway, i'l be posting more news in due course.

Ok, that's the introduction over, lets get this thread rolling 👍.

Stu, Whitesheet Competition Secretary.

• Like 3

Phil.Taylor

Cracking idea Gromit!

I would just like to say that if you have ever thought about maybe having a go at F3F - come along to a race & have a go !

You don't need the latest & greatest £££ plane to get started - I've seen folks having a lot of fun with cheap stuff & old stuff (*) - and putting in very respectable times. You will be made very welcome - lots of helpful advice - and you may find that it's all rather enjoyable !

Come along to a race & join in the fun 😊

Phil.

(* including me - I still love the cheap old stuff)

• Like 2

oipigface

Posted on Welsh Open 2018 thread earlier today:

At the AGM, it was suggested that 'taster courses' would be a good idea in order to attract new blood. The idea was to allow people to have a go without the competitive aspect looming over them. Stuart suggested that Whitesheet is considering an extension of their Open Slopes initiative in this direction, and I offered to lend a model and a transmitter ready set up and linked to my own transmitter via a wireless training system, so that people could get an idea of what flying a course is like without making a large initial investment. If there are other places than Whitesheet interested in this idea, let me know.

• Like 2

Martin Church

It would also help if people stopped hoarding models & moved them on at a fair price to new owners who are interested in f3f 😉

Even though I consider myself to be a good pilot there’s something that makes me feel incapable of entering a real comp.

Practice sessions that don’t just involve the privileged few in my opinion would be a real winner. 

• Like 1

Brett82

I've been involved in F3F for only a few years and in my time I have only ever been made to feel welcome. I'm sure it will be the same at any practice session or open fun day.

In terms of some advice for anyone thinking of giving it a try. Most people said to me don't try fly fast, onlyntry to fly smooth. The only times I have ever set really good times is when I flew really smooth turns and flew smooth between base' s.

And if you are worried about skill levels then practice on a familiar slope with a familiar model. Get used to the motion of turning tight, close in and flying along the slope with a model you know well, then progress to something quicker.

John T wrote an awesome article on how to try improve your times and practicing by pretending to fly along a fence without inputting controls. I read it before my first attempt and again after, it's worth the read.

Most importantly, if you give it a go then just try have fun.

• Like 5

Sloper

Good Idea but arnt we preaching to an already existing audience here on BARCS?

Better to promote, publish, and advertise on other more general forums, BMFA mag, Facebook, GBSRA website etc... Theres many a glider pilots out there that dont know BARCS exist

• Like 5

Gromit

You are quite right Rich, I have already thought of that. The 'welcome to F3f day' that I am organising at Whitesheet will indeed be advertised by / on the GBSRA, Facebook & the BMFA mag,  all Whitesheet members, (of which there are approx 100)  👍.

Stu. 

• Like 1

isoaritfirst
20 hours ago, Martin Church said:

It would also help if people stopped hoarding models & moved them on at a fair price to new owners who are interested in f3f 😉

Even though I consider myself to be a good pilot there’s something that makes me feel incapable of entering a real comp.

Practice sessions that don’t just involve the privileged few in my opinion would be a real winner. 

I could be quite grumpy about this post Martin. Not directly with you or your comments but that we as the F3f community have given you this perception.

How I see it;

The only difference between a international or a winter comp is perhaps a tighter organisation that requires you to be ready to fly when your slot comes around and possibly having to land in a designated area. Everything else is the same.

Conditions and slope style make comps easy or hard, not the comp status. Provided you can fly safely you will be made very welcomed at any comp, 

Having just returned from Asturias Open international which was a WC event, it asked no more of me than a local comp.

For the organisers however it takes a lot more effort. Their efforts are rewarded by pilots attending. 

Midland winter league comps are no longer being run due to lack of entries.

Being able to combine my holidays with flying now that my children have all grown up, allows me time to travel, as well as making costs much easier to manage.

I certainly could not have managed the same commitment when they were younger. Being old is the privilege. 

Also i'm hording until such time you give me a fair price 😉

What is free, to those that want it is help and advice.

This post is not directly related to Stu's effort s to bring the sport to the masses, but we do need to understand the perceptions out there, hence the thread "whats in it for me" so thanks for your view and hopefully we can use it to look forward.

Andy_B

Errr Michael ... your not running the midland league but me and Les are prepared to 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

isoaritfirst
19 minutes ago, Andy_B said:

Errr Michael ... your not running the midland league but me and Les are prepared to 😀

Very good, lets hope we get some entries and weather this year.

Martin Church
1 hour ago, isoaritfirst said:

I could be quite grumpy about this post Martin. Not directly with you or your comments but that we as the F3f community have given you this perception.

How I see it;

The only difference between a international or a winter comp is perhaps a tighter organisation that requires you to be ready to fly when your slot comes around and possibly having to land in a designated area. Everything else is the same.

Conditions and slope style make comps easy or hard, not the comp status. Provided you can fly safely you will be made very welcomed at any comp, 

Having just returned from Asturias Open international which was a WC event, it asked no more of me than a local comp.

For the organisers however it takes a lot more effort. Their efforts are rewarded by pilots attending. 

Midland winter league comps are no longer being run due to lack of entries.

Being able to combine my holidays with flying now that my children have all grown up, allows me time to travel, as well as making costs much easier to manage.

I certainly could not have managed the same commitment when they were younger. Being old is the privilege. 

Also i'm hording until such time you give me a fair price 😉

What is free, to those that want it is help and advice.

This post is not directly related to Stu's effort s to bring the sport to the masses, but we do need to understand the perceptions out there, hence the thread "whats in it for me" so thanks for your view and hopefully we can use it to look forward.

What bit makes you grumpy Mike the hoarding comment had a winky smiley for starters 👍

“I’m” 

happy to pay the going rate, my Jedi lift cost me £1500 but don’t tell the Mrs that though please. 

I am on the look out for something else I’m gingerly looking at hyperflight’s Shinto as a possibility. 

isoaritfirst

More than anything its the feeling that you can't enter a real comp, and i'm sure you are not alone in this thought. It certainly not the first time I have heard it said.

Some of this possibly dates back to the time when comps were over subscribed and a message was put out that large entries were creating problems.

Also possibly that winning is the reason for competing, when actually competing is the reason for competing and many small victories reside within a comp- 

• Like 2

rc-soar
9 hours ago, Sloper said:

Good Idea but arnt we preaching to an already existing audience here on BARCS?

Better to promote, publish, and advertise on other more general forums, BMFA mag, Facebook, GBSRA website etc... Theres many a glider pilots out there that dont know BARCS exist

Rich and all,

At last Friday's GBSRA AGM it was decided to create a new role of Digital Marketing bod, for which I've been co-opted. 

The goal is to use digital media to increase awareness of F3F, particulalry amongst existing saiplane pilots.

To do this, the initial plan is to

(a) populate the GBSRA site with content and
(b) share that - and other content - to relevant groups, primarily using Facebook. 

First I'll need to master the GBSRA CMS, so don't expect major changes overnight, put we should be able to make some progresss soon. We're fortunate that Mark T has offered to carry on as chief admin keeping things running.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Martin Church
14 minutes ago, isoaritfirst said:

More than anything its the feeling that you can't enter a real comp, and i'm sure you are not alone in this thought. It certainly not the first time I have heard it said.

Some of this possibly dates back to the time when comps were over subscribed and a message was put out that large entries were creating problems.

Also possibly that winning is the reason for competing, when actually competing is the reason for competing and many small victories reside within a comp- 

I guess I do feel like I’d just be getting in the way Mike. Hence why I think it’s a brilliant idea to host days like Stuart has suggested & good on him for offering his time.

It would mean a lot to me to be able to have a low pressure practice on an official course & learn the ropes again.

Jess

Great idea Gromit & Graeme I'll be there I need the excuse or should I say kick to fly the Radical 

• Like 1

Andy_B

The problem is Martin you can’t really have a practice without some if the established pilots to help you along .... kinda catch 22 .... but I never felt uncomfortable when I started and that was in the days of to many entries . Just jump in the more the merrier 

Andy 

• Like 2

Martin Church

Your quite right Andy, last year I’d pinned my hopes on the Winter League!

one comp too far away to travel too on my own was the result of those hopes 🙄 

Lets hope for good winds for this winters comps 🤞

• Thanks 1

Andy_B
43 minutes ago, Martin Church said:

Your quite right Andy, last year I’d pinned my hopes on the Winter League!

one comp too far away to travel too on my own was the result of those hopes 🙄 

Lets hope for good winds for this winters comps 🤞

Brett’s got the right idea jump straight in at the nationals. 

He even enjoyed Bridgend this year ....I think 😜

• Like 1

Brett82

Haha, I did Andy. I was so wet behind the ears at my first comp. 

If anyone happens to read this forum while wondering if they should try F3F then please read the rest of my post.

What Andy said is true, the first comp I flew in was the nationals. I had no idea what I was doing, I was even nervous to go on a base. The guys were awesome, I had so much help and advise. I crashed out in the second round but even so stayed for the rest of the day. Not because I had too but because I felt so welcome and part of the group I just didn't want to go home early, even though it meant I had to camp in a tent that night...

I even raced in my first eurotour event this year in HOH. I was really nervous because of its high profile but it took 10 minutes for me to relax and realise it was just like any other comp. Same as the Welsh Open, you read about them and see some of the best pilots from around Europe standing around you.

Then he cracks a joke and there's a bit of banter and the next thing you have just flown a good run and everyone is cheering for you. Even though you are slower than everyone else, they make you feel great when you set a good time for your skill level.

Like any flying it's all about trying to push yourself and improve your flying. If that makes you competitive then great, if not, it will one day.

Come along, have fun and push your flying to that next level.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Brett82

Oh, and if you want a second opinion, ask Mark T about the bag of nervous last year in Wales, standing on the flight line, then going on to set a sub 40. 

Best feeling in the world. 

• Like 3