Gromit

'Welcome to F3f '.

mtreble
4 minutes ago, Brett82 said:

Oh, and if you want a second opinion, ask Mark T about the bag of nervous last year in Wales, standing on the flight line, then going on to set a sub 40. 

Best feeling in the world. 

Absolutely. That was a very well executed flight that will stay in my memory forever. Many of the best pilots could not have done any better with that air.

• Like 2

Stefan Bertschi
On 05/09/2018 at 21:47, Brett82 said:

Haha, I did Andy. I was so wet behind the ears at my first comp. ....

.....I had no idea what I was doing, I was even nervous to go on a base. The guys were awesome, I had so much help and advise......

I even raced in my first eurotour event this year in HOH. I was really nervous because of its high profile but it took 10 minutes for me to relax and realise it was just like any other comp. Same as the Welsh Open, you read about them and see some of the best pilots from around Europe standing around you.

Then he cracks a joke and there's a bit of banter and the next thing you have just flown a good run and ....

Like any flying it's all about trying to push yourself and improve your flying. If that makes you competitive then great, if not, it will one day.

Come along, have fun and push your flying to that next level.

I really like Brett's post, as it captures the spirit of F3F really well.

We are quite a friendly although sometimes sarcastic bunch of people. And yes we are competitive (thats why we attend comps, endure the other pilots thermals and enjoy our aim to get better and better) but we are happy to share our 'wisdom' and enjoy watching a nice flown course no matter by whom.

When you start competing just don't put too much pressure on you. Don't aim for fast times (they willl come) but aim for flying as good as you can. Try to implement what you see from the so called good pilots (and keep in mind that all of them are up from  for a propper f..k up from time to time). Yes it's a comp and it's about ranks and time but try to find the joy in competing your own peer group and after some time your peer group are the best pilots.

Last but not least flying F3Fcomps is character building (a kind of like golf) and makes you a much better pilot (any comp flying does).

So everybody who is intrested and has a halfway decent plane (everything what was successfully flown in comps in the last 20 years) just do it

• Like 4

mikef
  • Have a look at what we've tried in F3K.  We put an piece in BMFA News, Gemma at the office did a poster and we combined a 'come and try' with a one day comp spread over two days to get the top guys along.  Look here:-

https://www.barcs.co.uk/forums/topic/8217-come-and-try-dlg-bmfa-buckminster-aug-11-12/

and here for the feedback :-

https://www.barcs.co.uk/forums/topic/8329-league-event-11th-12th-august-buckminster/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-159415

Might be some ideas there.

Of course there's no huge slope at Buckminster so it would be good to find an indoor space near the slope you're using to enable panel dicussions, presentations and have models to chat over.

Good luck and I hope you can find some new blood..

• Like 2

oipigface
29 minutes ago, mikef said:

there's no huge slope at Buckminster

Perhaps there should be.

F3F and other slope-based disciplines (e.g. F1E) have very little to attract them to Buckminster. It is not fanciful to suppose that a demountable slope could be built, that would have the advantage of always facing the wind. Scaffold poles and canvas. 150m long. I've never been to Buckminster, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't room there for such a thing.

satinet

You can lead a horse to water......

The problem is that I don't see as many people flying 3m mouldies as you used to. At my club I'm about the only person who still flies "decent" models.  Say 8 years ago there were at least half a dozen, if not more, guys who would think about having a go at f3f. When I was f3f league co-ordinator, as I recall, the first event I took entries for at Wales there were over 50 entrants (only 2 or 3 on 2.4ghz!). 

It's a pyramid. Say if you have a hundred people you might have 80 who would never enter a comp, 10 who might talk about it and 10 who might actually do it of which 1 or 2 might become stalwarts.  There's always a few maybes who like the idea, but in my experience (f3b, f3f, f3k, f3j), you could trim their model and make their packed lunch and they would still find an excuse not to do it. 

I don't think there's anything wrong with either f3f or the people it's just that you only get a certain percentage who are going to do it and if the overall mass of prospective people goes down, or the age demographics change you are going to get a drop in numbers.  Sloping has changed a bit - look at the number of very large and very expensive scale caravans models being flown now. It's not that people don't want to spend - think f5j - £$£$!   

However, it's good that people are taking their time to encourage other people to try it out. 

Bobbyr
12 hours ago, satinet said:

You can lead a horse to water......

But A Pencil Must Be Lead !!!

Bob