Converting from 12FG/FX30 to 18MZ/FX40

Peter G

Finally moving from my FX30 over to an FX40 and have successfully used the Futaba conversion software.

It has translated all my gliders over and even the switch positions, but it has changed the model type from 'glider' to 'motor glider'

This is even though motors are not used in my FX30 programmes and the motor page in the menu is set to INH (inhibited). 

I strikes me that it doesn't particularly matter what 'type' they are  in the transmitter as long as everything works as it did before. I just wondered if anyone has come across this and found a way of converting and retaining the model type?

I recently moved from 12FG to 18TZ. (The architecting business must be doing very well!) I didn't know there was any Futaba conversion software available, so I just copied everything onto an SD card, then copied it off again. I haven't noticed any problems, or any change in the type of my models. Is 'Glider' available as a type without the motor? It is possible that the newer transmitter are designed to be operated the way yours is now set up - as a motor glider with disabled motor.

It was an eBay bargain a couple of years ago when my fx30 played up a bit, little used and £395. Quite old tech now with a massive cf memory card but will do me for a while. It will keep me fit lugging it about, it weighs a ton!

My guess is that if your FX30 glider setup has MOTOR assigned to a Tx channel (in the Linkage menu), then the conversion programme has to assume you plan to use a motor. 

In the FX30 manual, for 4-flap Motor Glider, Tx channel 3 is shown assigned as MOTOR.  However 4-flap Glider recommends channel 3 assigned as AUX 6 and no function assigned to MOTOR.

So if you have a MOTOR assigned, you could try making that a spare function such as AUX 6 instead, then doing the conversion?

Thanks Nigel.

By doing exactly what you suggested, they now convert as gliders 👍

I am having to adjust things (mainly elevator) to get the throws as they were before, but phases, switches etc.  are all there as they were before so worth doing the conversion rather than starting again.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Pete, 

are you seeing much advantage in the fx-40 over the fx-30?

I'm thinking of finding an FX-30 to buy and don't want to restrict myself too much.

Hi Clayt, 

I’ve got an FX-30 you may be interested in.

In good nick. Hasn’t been used much since I had the pots renewed.

John

• Like 1