10th F3K 14 Day Duration Challenge 2018

cirrusRC

David won the 9th challenge.   Here starts the 10th challenge of 2018.

Breezy day yesterday but lots of lift.   40g of ballast.    Breezy week ahead. 

image.png.423458b5bb5105fafcf7d81da93031b1.png

David [6] : Simon J [1] : Mike S [1] : Simon B [1] :

This is a for fun challenge, anyone with a hand-launch glider that conforms to the F3K (up to 1.5m) or Mosquito (less than 1m) class can post a time.
Object: Fly your F3K or Mosquito class hand launch glider for as long as possible from a flat field, the person who's time is unbeaten for 14 days 'wins' and a new challenge starts.

Rules: Fly safely. No slope soaring.

Post your times as follows:-.
Pilot Name, F3K or Mosquito class, model name, length of flight minutes and seconds, plus date of flight. (Please do the posting within 48 hours of the flight)

Previous challenges since 2012 can be seen at www.f3k.uk and here at Barcs

Great result - I tried a few flights, founds some patches of lift, but was getting chucked around all over the place and bottled out! I would like to have a bit more experience with this plane in easier conditions (only second time I have flown it).

I've finally built the Hawk mini DLG given to me at the 2018 F3K Eurotour. Today I maidened it, after a small failure that was fixed at lunchtime I went to the Bentley polo field and trimmed some more until -

Tony M, mosquito class, Hawk, 5:45, 25/9/18

• Like 1

It wasn't so bad down here in Essex Paul, an almost cloudless sky, wind probably 5 to 8mph, gusts to 10 maybe. About 12C and I got the time around 4:30pm. There were thermals about, I caught the one that got me 5:45 but missed several others. I was really trimming and sorting out the model but as there have been no times for the mosquito class yet I'd have put the 1:27 I did around midday before the rudder linkage came off - that was an interesting launch! At first I thought one of the aileron linkages may have come off as there was a good fluttering sound as the Hawk went up. I carefully brought it back down and as the rudder was 90 deg over it acted more like a brake than rudder input so wasn't a problem. The rudder linkage won't come off again now!

Went out to maiden my CX5 this afternoon. Perfect day for trimming. After a couple hours of tweaking settings and slowly building up the power on launches...

Monz - F3K - CX5 - 23:15

I decided to call it a day after that one!

Cracking day yesterday, despite only some wispy cirrus clouds - the visibility was fantastic.      I hurt my back at the last comp,  so can't discuss launch at the moment,   was mainly flying my dads electric RES model,  but did manage a few javelin launches of my NXT.    First one below,  from 4 meters off the launch I went straight up to 1676 ft which is the highest I've had a DLG to date.  Over 2000ft was certainly possible.

height.thumb.PNG.fd1fa13bbdf9236fad87a9ca654d56d0.PNG

Nice work Monz.

image.png.a7a5dba8ccd4a69f8e90fdb3cf860f49.png

1 minute ago, Paul Gleeson said:

How do you see a 1.5m dlg at 1600ft!

Paul - the seeing/visibility was really good yesterday.    See this thread for more discussion.   

Damn, should have read this thread before flying.  Just did 20mins, but it’s not enough! I may not have been able to do better, but if i knew the target, you never know 🙂

Hadn't intended to fly today  but weather warmer than forecast and it looked really nice.   Light winds,   smooth but light lift.    Had to work really hard to get over 150m but lift improved a lot once I'd done so.   Visibility was quite poor so 1100ft was my limit.   Air traffic was really light so had free reign of the sky away from the sun,   able to hop between thermals quite easily.    Things were looking grim around 48 mins but I picked up some low down lift and started to climb out but  the lift just vanished and I came down for 54:36.

height.thumb.PNG.10a2f7636b9e16bfaf9ba91caf3368e2.PNG

image.png.0260c70dd2d8b8eb48dafc49f62677fb.png

David [6] : Simon J [1] : Mike S [1] : Simon B [1] :

• 2 weeks later...

Today is the start of a new challenge. To get both the F3K and Mosquito class going:

Tony M, both, Hawk mini, 9:11, 21/10/2018

It was a gorgeous day at Little Bentley, plenty of buoyant air with very few proper thermals going through. Did loads of 2+ minutes, a few 3s, a 5 and finished on a 6:45. The 9:11 was in a proper thermal that I 'turned and burned' in to which took the Hawk up super fast, about a minute and I could barely see it. Then just edged back to the field where I caught some of the buoyant air and got a little bit of height back before getting back to my launch area of less tall weeds.

Also flew my XXLite, doesn't feel so lite to launch as the Hawk, and I may have been getting higher launches with the Hawk anyway. Best with the XXLite was 4:14 (Hawk at 3:15) before steaming both times with the 9:11.