Midland Winter League F3F 2018/19

Andy_B

9 hours ago, Witch_1 said:

Make sure you bring your model....even if you are not going to fly.....😉

Yes make sure you bring a model , weve had zagi's racing before now .You dont need the latest and greatest mouldie to have a go .

Opps just noticed you have a Pitbull   (most excellent model) 

Andy

• Like 1

isoaritfirst

Although there are many winter league comps in the calendar. 

if it’s called on best make the effort to come along, and bring a model . Perhaps a hack and the pit bull.  After a few goes if you feel comfortable switch to the pit bull  

Last year there were the same number of events scheduled, but many more were cancelled than ran. 

Best not think that next month will do. Take the plunge asap

• Like 1

Will be there on the 13th to see what it's all about, hopefully give it a go as it's something I've been itching to have a go at.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Drizzle said:

Will be there on the 13th to see what it's all about, hopefully give it a go as it's something I've been itching to have a go at.

That's great mate,look forward to meeting you.

5 minutes ago, Scram said:

Planning to go for some practice tomorrow  :thumbsup:

Bummer ...........thats Jerry out then ............😲

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, andyharrold said:

I am up for it!

Jerry and I will be there from about 11am.

Have a good day and don't brake anything  before the weekend. 

Got to Ashes Hollow about 10.30.  Lovely sunshine, blue sky etc, with strong but blustery wind coming from SW so over the hill to the right.  Not good.

Andy took up his Toucan which was being chucked around on the blusters - difficult flying.  I was getting the Crossover ready while Andy went up the slope for landing.  I saw him walk off for the pickup but he was gone a long time, came back with several hands full  😪    Oh dear.  At last moment the turbulence at the top tipped the Toucan over and it nosed in, breaking off the fus front end ........ b***er.

Decided I would have a go with mine and flying high was the best choice, close to the edge was terrible and risky.  So I went up for my landing, came round a coule of times then was bringing it in OK but again, tipped and dived close to the ground and and stuck its nose into ground free of the nice soft heather, cracking the repair work don earlier.

So on advice from Andy_B we decamped to PoleCot where though the wind was somewhat southerly it was much smoother.  But, we could not easily gauge its direction so thought a little smoke would help:

20181009_133322s.jpg.7d3d5df5941a86606fc55fcc9478ae1f.jpg

Ah, that's better, now we can see  😁

I had my Moth so we thought to try that first and it went loverly  :thumbsup:

So Andy flew his Pitbull and lift was good, even though the wind was quite crossed from the left.  He landed  OK.

I let him have a go on the Moth whilst I went back to the car for my Wiz Compact.  Took it up, flew loverly and landed easily.

We had several flights each and left about 3 to beat the worst of the traffic.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Scram said:

Oh dear.  At last moment the turbulence at the top tipped the Toucan over and it nosed in

More like I flew out to the right, turned downwind, totally lost control, rolling left and right, lost height, had to land out, 100m away, disappeared from view, and probably rolled in from about 10ft up. Just a re broken fuz.

There was one small piece of sky where it was smooth and full of lift. The rest was horrid. At one time  I was flying a low and fast run left to right and dropped some 10ft in height. I missed the heather by about 6".

I thought we needed one of Andy Bs top tips. So I contacted him and he suggested a move to Pole Cottage. That advice saved us any more carnage!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

mmmm.  It wasn't my previous repair that broke but in front of it.  Will be fixed today but Saturday is now looking doubtful, weatherwise  😪

Yesterdays blustery was bad enough but 58mph gust about 1pm ...................... not my cuppa!!

3 hours ago, Scram said:

Yesterdays blustery was bad enough but 58mph gust about 1pm ...................... not my cuppa!!

That was more SW, so coming over the ridge. Current forecast is showing direct Southerly, might be a bit better. 

I'm more worried about the rain. All I will say is bring ya coats and ballast boys.... (weather call dependent) 😂

sorry folks  , given the forecast for tomorrow  I'm calling this event OFF

Gusts upto 60mph  and a good chance of rain for most of the day , I dont think this would be a good introduction for some of the new comers and I dont want to put people off or have them travel for hours with a prospect of very little if any flying . 

once again sorry but hopefully see you all next month .

Andy and Les 

Well, Andy n Les, far be it for me to pre-empt your on/off decision but I will withdraw my entry.

For a long journey with too much chance to sit in a rain cloud I'm doubtful but there's also too much chance for me to destroy my plane - once and for all.  😳

So for me, discretion is the better part of valour ....... in this case.

Good luck for any fliers tomorrow  :thumbsup:

Right call Andy, I think the only way we would have gotten any flying in would have been if our planes had hulls.

I was thinking of coming down for a sports fly on Sunday but even that isn't looking so great now. It was perfect for Pole Cot but now its swinging towards the north and showing more rain than what it was previously. 

See you guys next month.