Midland Winter League F3F 2018/19

Andy_B

Another great days flying at the Mynd.  All done with good humour and sportsmanship.

As Mike pointed out a bit crossed but still some great flying conditions.

Thank you to Andy and Mike. Running an event does distract you from your flying so well done on the results.

One great thing to come out of today was Kyri turning up and flying his restored bag of bits in his first slope comp.

Kyri rebuilt his Needle from what really was a bag of glass and carbon dust and started slope soaring about 5 months ago. He asked me for help with set up on the Needle.  I mentioned to him he would get better help on the Barcs Forum about set up. Kyri posted a thread and got great help on the  forum. Especially from Simon Thornton. 

Getting through today in quite rough conditions was  a fantastic achievement and his inverted recovery was very well handled. Thank you to all the people who helped Kyri on the set up thread and today for being so welcoming to a newbie.

Hopefully we will get another comp in February.

Happy Landings

Greg

• Like 6

It was great to see you all, today. I am extremely  grateful for the tips/advice and guidance on all things slope and F3F related. I felt very welcome and having set up the plane based on advice gained here first, it was a great next step to talk things through and see how it should be done.

The different flying styles were interesting to watch, and seeing how the conditions have such an impact on the performance of the planes - and how the flying style of the more experienced people (ie. not me) changed accordingly.

My goal was achieved - learn (lots!), meet some new people (great people btw!), and finally to take the plane home in one piece :)

• Like 6

“Inverted Recovery”. 😱

(Having said that I nearly launched Mick Walsh’s Needle inverted in France, totally by mistake - I blame it on the inverted canopy)

Simon

• Haha 2

Good to meet you todayKiri. The Needle looked good. Nice and smooth and slippery. 

Im sure you will quickly start to improve on your times. 

First things first though, get those brakes dialed in on the stick. 

👍 

• Like 1

Thanks Mike.

I took a few clips on my phone, but got too smart and tried zooming, which I should know, makes it more difficult to keep the plane in shot. I did get a clip of a flight where the plane is mostly in shot, and gives a flavour of the day: 

• Like 5

Pleased to hear that you had a great days racing, & an encouraging number of entries too 👍.

Congrats to Greg on the win, too Mike on being 2nd, & to Andy on his third place  👏

Another good result for Brett too achieving 4th 👏

Great to have another new face in F3f, well done Kyri, I look forward to meeting you and enjoying a comp with you during this year 👍

Stu. 

• Like 3

Never knew you could fit so many different turns into one F3F flight.

Great coaching aid Kyri thank you.

Greg

Having been through the clips again, I have found a couple more, one of Dave's Shinto and one of Brett's Jedi. Here is Brett's, Dave's will  follow soon:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OBSERVATIONS of a base A button pusher.

As discretion was the better part of valour for me, I did not want to fly an ill prepared plane in fairly testing (for me) conditions, so I spent quite a long time at base A and make the following observations.

• Quite a few pilots would fly up fairly high off course but not along way along the slope and diving into the course meant crossing the line at height above the posts making it difficult to accurately judge the start time.
  • This also meant that diving all the way on the first leg necessarily means having to travel further than 100m to base B
  • Climbing to the same height but but travelling further along the slope meant the dive could be completed before crossing the line whilst flying horizontally the shortest distance and possibly faster due to all the potential energy from the height being gained in the dive.
  • Further, I observed many flight lines going a long way out from the slope at base B and then coming again, diagonally straight toward and close to the slope at base A, thus flying much further that the required 100m.

Observations - that's all.   :)

• Like 3

Good observations Jerry. They are all down to the crossed wind we had to cope with.

Flying off course was in to the wind, so there was a trade off between gaining height and and making progress beyond the base. Gaining height meant pulling up and losing speed, so more likely to get blown back towards the course.

Again flying out at base B is an attempt to fly more straight on to the wind direction. Sometimes it can be better to fly a longer course and maintain speed through the turns. Sticking to the ground course can mean a difficult downwind turn.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to Andy & Mike for organising a good days flying and thanks to Greg & Andy for launching. The podium places were well deserved. It was quite trying at times particularly the walk up the hill for landing which seemed to get steeper as the day wore on. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kyri said:

Having been through the clips again, I have found a couple more, one of Dave's Shinto and one of Brett's Jedi. Here is Brett's, Dave's will  follow soon:

Nice video mate. It really shows how tough the conditions were and how much an effect it can have if you didn't keep your speed on base B.

Nice to be able to look back at one of my flights, will help to improve and learn.  Thanks mate.

• Like 1

Good observations Jerry, but only part of the story. 

As Mark said sometimes flying squarer to the wind is better than flying the edge.

If you consider the flight from the gliders prospective rather than the land based observer the other part of the story can be considered. 

That is, How much air has to pass over the gliders wings as it flies between the bases. Flying with the wind or flying upwind will change these quantities  significantly. So shortest distance as seen from the grounds prospective may not be the gliders shortest distance. 

With my own flights yesterday, my turn styled changed often. Sometimes to gain height around base A to allow more momentum to get around the more troublesome case b. 

Sometimes height was taken at base b to allow for a dive towards the slope to gain some momentum . Other turns were flat and open to take the model out away from the slope to give a run back that had less head wind to contend with. Sometimes just a quick turn so the model wasn’t contending with wind blowing it topside  and slowing it  

There were lots of options, lots of decisions, not necessarily the right ones, but all adding interest to a seemingly simple task of flying left to right. 

For me it makes what may seem like slow flights at mid 40’s into very interesting challenging and technical tasks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mark Richards

Thanks to Andy and Mike for running the event and also to Mike for his advice on trimming the old Tragi.

Congratulations to Greg, Mike and Andy for getting the top places.

I thoroughly enjoyed the day, let's hope we can do it all again in February.

• Like 4