Midland Winter League F3F 2018/19

Andy_B

Baldyslapnut

Another great comp at LM with the Midland F3F team. Thank you for running the event.

Andy great flying.

Mike I did not see you flying and I know you had some poor air so well done on second.

Dave and I discussed on the way home how the flying standard has improved as each round has taken place.  Dave had bad luck with his Aileron servo and spent most of the day on Base B. Giving Dave the chance to watch all the flights in the last 8 rounds. Right through the field there were great flights happening in every round.

I am still struggling to get the ballast load on my PB 2 right for the conditions and need to move the CoG forward. Actually in reality my flying was poor today and I got overly excited on my second quick run. Amazing what happens when you shut your eyes and pull full up in.

Hope to be at the Mynd for League 1 in April.

Greg

• Like 5

Well all I can say is Wow what a day.

Some very fast times set on the Mynd today in  sometimes tricky condition. 

Well done to the top three,all three of you deserve your positions. 

A few PB as Well. 

Big thanks to all that have supported theses events this year.

6 out of 6 what a great season. 

• Like 7

Some of the best flying conditions I have ever experienced on the Long Mynd. Great to see Brett on form, progressing his PB twice, and Andy was again way ahead of the rest of us flying a very short course with tight turns but managing to maintain speed. I am sure we could have seen a sub-30 too if Greg hadn't pulled too hard!

Thanks again to Les and Andy for running the show - great job!

• Like 5

isoaritfirst

Congrats Andy a very well deserved midlands winter league champion. 

That PB1 looked so solid almost all day, and how it managed to hold the speed through tight base A turns was very much in a class of its own. 

Personally I was lacking concentration for most of the day and felt that 7 of my ten runs had errors that cost me, so to finish up second was a pleasant surprise. 

Fastest comp we have had on the  Mynd and In very blustery conditions, it shows what I know to be true, the hill is good for Sub 30 if we ever do get the right day. 

I measured the wind speed several times during the day.  It often felt like 25m/s plus, making walking and standing uncomfortable. Somewhat surprisingly most of the day it was actually around 12- 18m/s, I did read one gust at 20 and quite a few occasions when it was as low as 8, never for more than a few seconds, but it does show the blustery nature of the day as the wind gusted between 8 and 20m/s. 

Hard to cope with and hard to concentrate. But a great challenge and another great day. 

Im indebted to Andy and Les for taking on the task of running this seasons events, when I was in favour of stopping them after the last two years of poor support and poor conditions. 

5 out of 6 and every one being great aggressive comps. 

And lastly a small apology for not helping set up today.  I was distracted trying to maiden my new PB2. Not ideal conditions for a maiden, but as the course came down my PB2 went up. 8 slugs of tungsten and straight into running the course. I put 2 clicks of down in the normal setting and 4 in the speed and had no feeling that anything else needs to change. 

Well impressed. Shame I didn’t fly the comp with it. Just might have got a little closer to Mr B. 

• Like 5

It was a great day, the third event that I have attended at the Long Mynd. What a great bunch of people, I learnt so much since my first visit and have improved landings and PB's (not sure by how much but managed a 40.something today, as did Tony after only two events ever!)

I missed the chance to speak to people more today, and also I didn't even take a single picture let alone a video (unusual for me). However the event was well organised and had a fast turnover of flying, walking up the hill to land, bringing the plane back through the gusting wind, manning bases, launching, and back to flying again, over and over again. There wasn't much time for talking!

Thanks for everyone's help on behalf of the northern newbies. Looking forward to see what the times were like.

Cheers!

Kyri

• Like 6

Congratulations Andy on winning todays event, & even more for winning the Midlands Winter league, top flying :thumbsup:

Congrats & well  done to Mike on taking todays comp second spot, & to Greg on taking 3rd 👍.

Well done to everyone else on your own placings, achievements & PB's 👍

Stu. 

• Like 3

Just had a look at servo in wing of my Shinto. I landed with the wing tip in a bush forcing the aileron up, by the time I got to the plane the servo had fried.

I spent the rest of the day buzzing on Base B, which was interesting.

Here are a few observations of the day's flying.

Andy's Pitbull 1 just seems to fly at a constant velocity around the turn

The Pitbull 2 is the fastest model when the conditions are just right.

The Shinto is the most forgiving model.

Mike's anticipation at Base B was the best all day, sometimes coming very close to cutting.

Brett was the most improving all day, but I wish he would not climb too vertically on the turn as it can end up as almost a cut.

Tony's technique of flying very high on the first few laps made it difficult to judge the turn, and probably made the course shorter.

The lift was very variable, an example was Greg's 2 consecutive 31.XX followed by a 46.XX in the next round, that's nearly 50% slower.

David.

Futaba S3173.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the observations Dave. Always nice to get some feedback. I will bear that in mind cause it certainly seems to go along with how many bunts I had to do.

22 minutes ago, Kyri said:

A short video from paparazzi John (aka Tony):

You cant leave us hanging like that... where is part 2? Haha

I was on the base when you were flying and wondered which angle the camera was mounted. Could see it was on just couldn't tell which way it was pointed. 

12 hours ago, Brett82 said:

You cant leave us hanging like that... where is part 2? Haha

I was on the base when you were flying and wondered which angle the camera was mounted. Could see it was on just couldn't tell which way it was pointed. 

OK Brett, here is part 2:

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Kyri said:

OK Brett, here is part 2:

Very cool video mate. Yeah, dont think you were the only one being pushed back. A few times under full crow trying to scrub off height I was going backwards, once towards Andy! Dont think he liked the look of that too much, Haha. 

• Austin unpinned this topic