Wales F3F Winter League Dates 2018/19

jwest532

Wishing everyone a very enjoyable days racing.

I hope conditions are as good as have been forecast for many days, 

Looking forward to hearing all about it.

Good luck to All,

Stu.

• Like 1

Excellent conditions on the Crest today led to several new PB's and a sub 30 for Joel. I don't know all the people who broke their PB, but certainly Clayton beat his several times  winding up with a 32.05. Dave Rumble can't complain any more. His PB is a big 0.2 sec less than whatever it was yesterday.

I had a crap day, but enjoyed watching everyone else enjoy themselves. 

I will do an update to the PB spreadsheet next weekend, so get your new ones logged on that thread.

Glad you had a great day.  I have also been enjoying the sunshine in S Wales only a stones’s throw from the Bwlch at Afan/Glyncorrwg etc.  If I had finished early enough I was going to pop in and see the end of the comp, but we ended up doing a long ride.  Night out in Cardiff tonight.

Simon

1 hour ago, oipigface said:

Excellent conditions on the Crest today led to several new PB's and a sub 30 for Joel. I don't know all the people who broke their PB, but certainly Clayton beat his several times  winding up with a 32.05. Dave Rumble can't complain any more. His PB is a big 0.2 sec less than whatever it was yesterday.

I had a crap day, but enjoyed watching everyone else enjoy themselves. 

Haha yes 6 years to break my pb by 0.2 secs but next round shaved off another 2secs 👍

• Haha 1

Great day on the Crest indeed. Clag finally lifted about 1130. Thanks to Joel, Andy and Stefan for cding. Quite a few pbs set too.  Well done to Clayt for some very good times 30.xx. Well deserved after your bad luck at the welsh open

Great days flying ..........for once XC got it pretty much spot on ...and not to much carnage .

Well done to all who set new PB's    and well done Clayt with your bedtime flying .

Andy

Such an awesome day! Was a bit worried about the Clag at the start but once it cleared..... what a day! 

Massive thanks to Joel, Andy and Stefan for their fantastic running of the day.

30.05 ☺️

Reckon I'll remember today for a while.

Edited by Skip
Cheating
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Well, we finally got a comp in after 2 years of trying and I think it's fair to say it was a good'en.

First and foremost, thanks to everyone for attending. I can't remember the last time we had 20 pilots at a winter league but it must have been a while. Secondly, thanks to everyone for helping  with bases and ferrying the equipment.  Finally big thanks to Andy B and Stefan for the work in the center.

As for the flying; 11 pilots completed all 6 counting rounds with  sub 40's which gives you an idea as to how fast and consistent it was, and the slowest round winning time was  34.26 😯

It's difficult to pull out any one flight as it was all quite mesmerizing, however clearly Clayton was a man on form and flew superbly, also watching Stefan skim the grass at 100mph plus was trouser stirring.

Anyway WWL1's cherry well and truly popped.  Roll on next month. 

Cheers guys

Joel

PS file attached

Wales Winter League-2018-1.xls

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, isoaritfirst said:

Get to bed Skip

I have to stay up unfortunately 😴

working at 830am tomorrow so have to force myself back into day mode! 

Also have some repairs to do after making a run for the edge through the rotor and failing...

• Like 1

Brilliant day guy's  on the the Crest. 

Some of the flying was out of this world,man of the day for me was Skip with his Pike God was he close on the bases  and fast.

Well done to the top three and every one else how managed a new PB.

MIGHTY WALES AT IT'S BEST 

• Like 3

👍 great days flying. It’s so rare that we get to fly on the main bowl of the Crest. I only recall once before and that turned out a poor day withcrossed conditions  

An interesting slope that caused me a few problems in the first few rounds. Almost rolling the Shinto into base B on the first round after a change of conditions on leg 7.  The first few legs had been great and showed nothing but nice smooth air  then suddenly flying in close the model was flicked back towards the hill. 

It took me another few rounds before settling into flying further away from the bases but it cost me a few seconds on every run, where the air would be fine for a few laps then  base B would bite again. It’s not a difficult slope if you take a route higher and further out at the bases, but to try to gain an advantage by trying different routes around base B especially proved fruitless . 

But the fun is in the trying and it was a lot of fun, as was watching Stefan. Great accuracy and rolling high into nice 8’s that put him back on the edge with ballistic speed. Once or twice cutting the grass on the edge. Great to have a slope that allows that kind of flying and great to watch. 

Joel - well think metronome, bit boring if it wasn’t for the speed his model gets through the course, definitely the way to win a comp  stunning display of just doing the right thing time and time again . 

The only time I saw Claytons flying was on landing, when he speared it in. But you couldn’t miss that smile of another great flight that I missed while landing. I did suggest that it was about time he bought something new and shiny, as it might just slow him down a bit .

many thanks to everyone for making a great memorable day  

• Like 4

F9BEC80F-ADD4-4219-BB66-0A2EB1F904F1.thumb.jpeg.a7d32e522f57e6ebb2ee3500d598d7ac.jpeg

Landing Lights

DC592D60-2AB5-40B0-9972-078488D9E6C2.thumb.jpeg.4830f637bc04c41bf981543bdf3a9e27.jpeg

The approx of the Titans

0CA8AE12-5AA9-4AAC-AFB0-8B9535E9C7B3.thumb.jpeg.e958022f4623106d38f41aa8f9577d7d.jpeg

what a great landing area. Let’s hope those windmills don’t get any closer. 

• Like 3

Stefan Bertschi

Back home after what can only be described as fantastic.

This comp will be one of the memorable ones which happen from time to time (other examples are Lundy 2009, Champ of Champions 2014, WC Rugen 2012, WC Denmark 2016, Pyrennes 2016 and the league event where everybody went sub 30). This is why all of us love the sport that much and those comps make me happy to go through the pain and miserys of the not so good ones (although it's always fun to meet friends on a hill!).

Memorable moments were ( I haven't seen Joel's really fast one):

Clayton shaving the bases (that was the last time I helped him fiddeling with the settings 😂)

Dave's dedication to beat his PB (and forcing me to lie flat on the ground at one point.)

Greg restoring the reputation of the Redshift

Everybody beeing up to the task of making the comp going smooth (we hadn't to wait for any single pilot turning up!!)

And from my own perspective touching the gras - almost s####ng my self and still get away with a 31.xx

I wish you all  some more comps of this quality. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1