Dick Edmunds "Eclipse"

AlexDowell

Hello everyone

Yes call me keen I'm posting already.  Before anything don't fret I'm not building this one something are better left in there box. I've come in possession of a pristine EMP  Eclipse, now I'm very familiar with Dick Edmonds algebra series , Sean Bannister 's 8 but when I look up for info regarding Dick Edmonds Eclipse I find very little. Could someone fill in the gaps ?

Kind Regards Alex Dowell

38207399_2213435365336471_8296361989496635392_n.jpg

• 1 month later...

My father had one of these slope models from Dick to test prior to production launch and apart from the awful fuselage,  it flew very well.....

Cheers, Steve 

I had an Apogee, same fuselage as Pete said but around 100" span and rudder/elevator (I only had 2 function gear at the time)

Flew well but the fuselage got a bit brittle in the cold and it was almost impossible to repair with the glues available at the time.

I did see an Eclipse just once, shorter wing with a central mounted aileron servo with  push rods through the side of the fuselage driving strip ailerons,  it flew ok considering the small bump of a hill we were trying to fly on!

I say build it, chuck it of a hill and see what happens!

Dean

The Calculus was a monster to build and fluttered like hell on fast launch, but a great thermal soaring model.....I flew mine for one season until my rx battery pack failed at the Nationals in round two fly off.....came in vertical from launch height and i was devastated....especially given the many hours to build it......the design was just to late to influence Barcs open and not structurally good enough to withstand the ever increasing launch speeds required during the F3J transitional period..... I still have the rudder in my workshop which was the only thing that survived.... !

I built a Calculus as well. It took ages, and I smashed it fairly quickly. I think that was the beginning of a sort of semi-retirement from flying, during a period when work got too serious to allow anything much else.

Some time ago (two or three years maybe), there was a post on here  from a guy who had got hold of a Calculus kit without any plans. He wanted to know if anyone had any, and I sent him mine against the promise that he would invite me to the maiden and buy me a beer.

Whoever you are: I hope it's going well, and I'm still very thirsty!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Hello Guys many thanks for all your input on this topic. I have to be honest with you all now I own a model shop (St Austell Model Centre) (Cornwall) so that's how this kit came into my possession.  I've been so busy with work I have ended up completely neglecting this post and I feel must apologise especially as you all have made a great effort to identify and place this model. It now has pride of place with my vintage display in the shop.  Many thanks from Alex Dowell. 

IMG_0156.JPG

I remember SkyLeader gear. Non-reversing servos that could be converted to linear motion. How many happy hours did I spend fitting servos into things only to find they would only work in the wrong direction!

2 hours ago, oipigface said:

I remember SkyLeader gear. Non-reversing servos that could be converted to linear motion. How many happy hours did I spend fitting servos into things only to find they would only work in the wrong direction!

Ahhh - the SRC1 servos that had a tapered splined shaft which gave more possibilities for positioning the servo arm, instead of the more usual square output shaft.

The problem was that as soon as the servo arm screw became even a little loose the servo arm would slip on the tapered spline shaft and you would lose control.   Luckily someone then invented the non-tapered splined shaft that we all know now  🙂

… and if you needed to reverse the servo direction you reversed the connections to the servo motor and the potentiometer and "Bob's your uncle … "

Red and black stickers on FD16Ms and Src1s with tapered splines and the option to convert to linear, reversing pots and motors!

Been there, done that.

Still got my Skyleader Clubman in the yellow vynal covered folded aluminium box.

Ergonomics were a thing of the future back then!

We have come a long way since the mid 70s radio gear wise.