Southern Winter League F3f 2018/19.

Gromit

f3fBanner-300x144.png.50ff6db4f90010839f7f7f0ed49c9848.png

Southern Winter League dates 2018/19.

Here then are the dates for the Southern Winter lg. You  will see that I have moved the dates from being the traditional 2nd Sunday of the month to the 4th. My reason for doing this is so as to avoid any both  Sat & Sund wknd competition clashes with any other region. 

For the past few years both the Southern & Midland comps have been staged over the same wknd, ie 2nd wknd of the month, the Midland being on the Sat, Southern on the Sund. This clash has prevented a number of pilots wishing to compete in both leagues (or just enter1 or 2 of the other regions comps ) from doing so, myself being one of these pilots.  

With the Midland comps having been struggling for entry numbers these past few years, my hope is that by separating the wknd of these two comps pilots will no longer have to make a choice as to which comp they compete in, the Midland lg will consequently gain more entries. 

Venues for the Southern winter league are  Whitesheet, Eastbourne, Butser hill.  each comp venue dependant upon the forecast wind direction.

The 'venue' announcement for each comp will be posted at the earliest opportunity prior to each comp following study of the various wind direction forecasts.

The 'Weather call' will be posted by 9.00pm on the Friday evening prior to each comp. 

Comp dates;-

Sund Oct  28th

Sund Nov 25th

Sund Dec 23rd

Sund Jan  27th

Sund Feb  24th

Reserve dates;- 

1st  reserve Sund Dec 9th

2nd reserve Sund March  10th 

Southern Winter League Logo Credit & thank you ;-  My thanks to Whitesheet RFC Chairman Chris Lamming for designing / creating the Southern Winter league logo . 

Stu, Whitesheet Comp Sec. 

• Like 8

f3fBanner-300x144.png.53289c7b5a0a9f42b896b13c09a3c0fa.png

Southern Winter league round,  Sunday Oct 28th.

Entry (edit ) Entry to this competition is now OPEN.

Venues being used ;-  Whitesheet, Butser Hill, Eastbourne. 

'Actual Venue Advisory & confirmation' ;-  During the course of next week I will be closely following the various forecasts. I will post a 'venue advisory' on Weds 24th at around 9.00pm.

I will post the  'venue confirmation' as soon after this as the various forecasts allow, hopefully I will be able to do so a 'day or two' before the weather call.

The 'Weather call' will be posted at around 8.00pm on the Friday 26th.

The Winter league comps are the perfect introduction to this exciting branch of our sport, newcomers are guaranteed are very warm welcome. Hints & tips on all things F3f ie,  model set up, flying the course, turn styles,  ballast decisions, etc etc are always freely given.

Most sports models are perfectly suitable to use, you don't need an expensive F3f machine. 

It is through the winter league comps that very many F3f pilots like myself started.  I look forward to welcoming you to your first comp.

Entries to be sent to ;-  swallacegromit@aol.com

Please include all the following info with your entry

BMFA insurance number,

Freq 2.4 or 35 meg + channel.

Model names, up to 3.

Important ;- Please state which venues you will travel too, ie  Whitesheet, Butser hill, Eastbourne,  I need this information in order to make the decision as to whether we have sufficient numbers attending any given venue. 

f3fBanner-300x144.png.5bc152524b1a4f875d81ce4f01ded301.png

Southern Winter League rd 1 Sund Oct 28th Entry list .

Entry list last edited 12.50pm Thursd 25th

1873795083_swlvenues.PNG.bb4c3b4d9771b3144687c3c0b826d075.PNG

Venue Reminder,  

When sending me your entry, please remember to state the venue's that you will travel too. ie Whitesheet, Butser Eastbourne.  I need this info so that I know if we have enough numbers for the given venue.  I don't want to be chasing around after entries during the coming week to find this info out. Thank you, very much appreciated 👍 

Stu.   Whitesheet Comp Sec. 

Tone-the-glider
On 17/10/2018 at 23:33, Gromit said:

f3fBanner-300x144.png.53289c7b5a0a9f42b896b13c09a3c0fa.png

Southern Winter league round,  Sunday Oct 28th.

Entry (edit ) Entry to this competition is now OPEN.

'Actual Venue Advisory & confirmation' ;-  During the course of next week I will be closely following the various forecasts. I will post a 'venue advisory' on Weds 24th at around 9.00pm.

I will post the  'venue confirmation' as soon after this as the various forecasts allow, hopefully I will be able to do so a 'day or two' before the weather call.

The 'Weather call' will be posted at around 8.00pm on the Friday 26th.

The Winter league comps are the perfect introduction to this exciting branch of our sport, newcomers are guaranteed are very warm welcome. Hints & tips on all things F3f ie,  model set up, flying the course, turn styles,  ballast decisions, etc etc are always freely given.

Most sports models are perfectly suitable to use, you don't need an expensive F3f machine. 

It is through the winter league comps that very many F3f pilots like myself started.  I look forward to welcoming you to your first comp.

BMFA insurance number,

Model names, up to 3.

Important ;- Please state which venues you will travel too, ie  Whitesheet, Butser hill, Eastbourne,  I need this information in order to make the decision as to whether we have sufficient numbers attending any given venue. 

Hi Stuart please include me for Sundays comp.

All venues OK.

BMFA S 165556

Freestyler 4 Ascot Cyril

All on 2.4Mhz

Regards Tony.

f3fBanner-300x144.png.403a858e9644898cfac4afca57bf4963.png

Hi All,

I will be posting a 'Venue advisory' this evening at around 8.00pm .

Entry / venue  list is updated daily  (see my previous above post) .

Stu. 

f3fBanner-300x144.png.22a647566af1930eba29c983c87bf1f0.png

Southern Winter league , rd 1 Venue advisory.

For several days now the various forecasts have been showing a very nice 15 - 20 mph breeze coming from a N -NNE - NE direction 

BBC https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/0/2650497

XC  ;- https://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/eastbourne

After discussing these forecasts this evening  with Pete Burgess, the venue advisory is that if this forecast remains the comp will be staged at the East Sussex Soaring Association site of Butts lane, Eastbourne. 

Here is the link to the MVSA, Butts lane info page http://www.eastsussexsa.co.uk/butts-lane

We are presently low on numbers for pilots travelling to the  Eastbourne venues with only 5 yes's & 1 maybe.  We require a minimum of 8 pilots to stage the comp.

In view of this can I ask for those pilots who have yet to enter & who will travel to Eastbourne to  please send me your entries at your earliest convenience,  I would be very much appreciate this, thank you.  

To keep you informed of numbers I will continue to update the entry list as & when I receive new entries.

Venue confirmation & weather call,  will be on posted Friday at around 8.00pm .

Assuming we have enough numbers, the meet time will be 9.00am.  Note ; Remember the clocks go back one hour on Saturday night.  

Stu, Whitesheet comp sec. 

• Sad 1

Hi All,

Numbers remain inadequate to stage this Sundays comp. I have received only 7 yes's + 1 possible for the venues of both Butser & Eastbourne. 

Comp Cancelation ;- If I have not received a minimum of 8 confirmed entries by 7.00pm this evening then I will very sadly have to cancel this months competition 😞

Stu. Whitesheet Comp Sec. 

1 minute ago, jay bee said:

Hi Stu i can make it to Eastbourne

Jason

Just replied to your PM at the same time as your post .

Stu. 

Southern Winter League Rd 1 is Cancelled .

Disappointingly, due to insufficient confirmed numbers for either Butser or Eastbourne I am calling Sundays comp OFF.

This is particularly disappointing as the weather forecast is predicting possibly the best conditions we may get for any comp this winter series with 15-20 mph winds.

Sorry to hear that Stu.

But for Andy and I the other two location are a bit too far.

We will be putting are name's down for next month mate.

• Like 1

It's always a shame to lose a comp in flyable conditions 😕

I wonder why you have made a minimum entry for winter league comps?

In Scotland we often just have 5 and run two rounds with crow through just to save a bit of running around, we have even run with 4 and accepted that there will be pauses. The Northern league has been down at 6 in the past.

There is some interesting psychology around this that I have pondered in the past, what with Scotland losing turn out. If people work out that it won't run if they dont go, they are less inclined to enter. Conversely, if it is going to run whether they enter or not, they are more likely to enter in the first place...

• Like 2

The way I look at it Pete as an organiser , if people cant be botherd to commit then why should I waste my time organising an event when I could be doing somthing else that sitting on a hill trying to complete a competition with 4 people .

I look at the Winter League competitions as an opportunity to keep flying an F3F course and small numbers and flyable conditions isn’t necessarily a bad thing because we fly more rounds on the day and get more flying 😉

I think you are partly  right Pete.

Half of the Midland pilots are looking for a league result.

The other half of the Midland pilots, and the ones the events were primarily run to encourage, don't have much interest in the league, in fact it is potentially a turn off.

Because of travel times they look for a good forecast, and pull out if the conditions look damp or too difficult for them.

If the forecast is good,   both halves who will want to come along.

If the sun shines and the event is enjoyable they will come again, and may develop an interest in a league result.

Having less than 8 pilots wishing to attend a Midland event usually means the forecast is poor and the event is probably going to be demanding.

Its always sad to lose an event date, but having a set of conditions, such as minimum numbers relieves the stress of organising. The decision is made by the facts.

Possibly not publishing the number of entrants would be a way forward, but that may bring other problems.

• 3 weeks later...

f3fBanner-300x144.png.37e3824afe8c6f267f3bd7169a9bace6.png

Southern Winter league round 2 ,  Sunday Nov 25th 

Entry to this competition is now OPEN.

Venue Advisory ;- The various forecasts are presently showing the wind to be coming from between a NE - SE over the next 10 days. The venue is therefore  looking very likely to be be either Eastbourne & Butser .  I will post another 'venue advisory' on  Thursd 22 nd at around 9.00pm.

Venue Confirmation ;- I will post this as early as I believe the forecasts allow. 

'Weather call'  ;- will be posted at around 8.00pm on the Friday 23rd

BMFA insurance number,

Model names, up to 3.

f3fBanner-300x144.png.5aebc4ef43cc937cdb7c881b25d2687e.png

Southern Winter League rd 2 , Sund Nov 25th

Venue Advisory ;- The various forecasts are presently showing the wind to be coming from between a NNE- SE over the next 10 days. The venue is therefore  looking to be be either Butts lane, nr Eastbourne, or Butser Hill nr Petersfield.  I will post a further venue advisory on thursd 22nd at around 9.00pm 

Entry list;- 

Allen Elliot

Stuart Wallace,

Pete Burgess 

Tony Robertson. 

Greg Lewis. 

Ian Falconer. 

f3fBanner-300x144.png.e95fcf726bdcf311c595c874d2cb21c0.png

Southern Winter League rd 2 , Sund Nov 25th

Venue Advisory;-  

The various forecasts continue to swing  directions between an NNE - E , the venue advisory therefore remains as being either Butts lane nr Eastbourne, or Butser hill nr Petersfield.  I will post the venue decision & weather call at around 8.00 pm tomorrow (Friday 23rd)

Stu. 

f3fBanner-300x144.png.5b77ac07dc53bcdda9bcdd37e005f160.png

Southern Winter league rd 2 Sund Nov 25th.

Very disappointingly with just 5 pilots confirmed for Petersfield & only 4 for Eastbourne, I am calling the  comp OFF due to insufficient confirmed entry numbers .

I wish to give a big thank you to both the  Meon Valley Soaring Association (MVSA) , & the East Sussex Soaring Association (ESSA)  for their help & co-operation in giving permission to have staged both this months & last months comp on their respective slopes. This has been very much appreciated, thank you. 

Stu. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3