Gromit

Southern Winter League F3f 2018/19.

pete beadle

Hi Redbird

You, and the phone were probably shivering! Phones don't like cold or being shaken.....a bit like me really!:):no:

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Skip

They aren't showing up publicly on your YouTube page either Bruce. They shouldn't be THAT steppe,  they seem to be struggling to play. 

Vid3 is me 😊

Thanks for taking some!!!

Andy_B

2nd video is Mike Evans 4th video is me 

• Like 1

Gromit

630604663_Southernwinterleaguef3fBanner.png.fdd3d2138773a6662d450476f3cd2478.png

Thank you for your patience guys, much appreciated. 

At the fourth time of asking we have finally got Southern Winter league underway .

The various weather forecasts all proved pretty accurate. The day was in fact brighter than had been forecast with us having  long periods of blue sky & sunshine. No rain whatsoever.

The forecast strong / very strong North westerly was with us throughout the day. For the first few rounds of the morning this averaged 20-25 mph, this increased to to 25-30 during the middle of the day rounds,  increasing further to average 35-40 for the last 3 rounds. The max strength that I recorded during the day was in round 9 this topping out at 48mph . 

We had a very good entry of 18 pilots, very encouragingly amongst these being a number of new / fairly new pilots to F3f & some pilots who have recently returned to racing after lengthy breaks. A perfect mixture therefore & exactly what the Winter league comps were designed for.

Racing conditions such as they were yesterday are very few & far between, I was therefore particularly impressed by the skills of those new / newish pilots to F3f. I'm looking forward to enjoying future competitions with these pilots & seeing them progress in this very exciting branch of our sport.

More to follow soon 👍

Stu, Whitesheet comp sec.

• Like 6

Redbird
1 hour ago, Skip said:

They aren't showing up publicly on your YouTube page either Bruce. They shouldn't be THAT steppe,  they seem to be struggling to play. 

Vid3 is me 😊

Thanks for taking some!!!

You're welcome Skip. Don't think the vids are good enough to go public really. Perhaps steppyness due to being auto stabilised, 'cos I couldn't hold the phone still. 

Skip
9 minutes ago, Redbird said:

You're welcome Skip. Don't think the vids are good enough to go public really. Perhaps steppyness due to being auto stabilised, 'cos I couldn't hold the phone still. 

The beauty of youtube is that there are no requirements of quality and those that tell you they aren't good enough for public viewing are wasting their breath.

I'd love to be able to link the vid to my report on my bloG,  especially as one is of me!

I reckon it is setting related.

Andy_B

here you are Skip 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

satinet
18 hours ago, Skip said:

Woah! I was sure Greg was going to be the winner! Stoked to get my first win! Hopefully lots more to come 😁

Thanks to Stu, Pete, Graeme and Allen for their work in the centre.

I don't think I will ever forget how fast the Precision was going in the second half of the run in rd6. Absolutely insane! It made the 30 at the Crest seem like walking pace.

This'll be a fun write up for my blog! 

Didn't you win a bmfa league event in wales a few years back (wrecker?)?

T

oipigface

Sounds like it was a great day. Makes me doubly sorry I wasn’t there to join in.

Congratulations, Clayt. I can’t remember you winning anything before, but I do remember your flying on the Crest recently. You’ve suddenly turned into a completely different flyer.  Well done!

Skip
1 hour ago, satinet said:

Didn't you win a bmfa league event in wales a few years back (wrecker?)?

T

Nah Tom, there was a Midlands summer league that had a round zero, which if was 1, I would have won. 

2 hours ago, Andy_B said:

here you are Skip 

Thanks Andy!

• Like 1

Andy_B
2 hours ago, oipigface said:

Sounds like it was a great day. Makes me doubly sorry I wasn’t there to join in.

Congratulations, Clayt. I can’t remember you winning anything before, but I do remember your flying on the Crest recently. You’ve suddenly turned into a completely different flyer.  Well done!

its the swiss influence John.....and TBH he wasnt so bad before

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gromit

20921379_Southernwinterleaguef3fBanner.png.2318dc3d5655357cd3c58e3e06d330a4.png

Here is a brief round by round summary of how the final top 5 positions unfolded .

Round 1. Greg Lewis had the honour of getting the comp underway, Greg promptly posted a time of 38.98.  Next up to fly was Nigel Witchalls. Nigel fell short of Gregs time by the very narrowest of margins posting a 39.00. Graeme Mahoney went even quicker posting a 36.75, this was to win the opening round. Clayton Landells posted a time of 40.26 to finish 4th. Mike Evans took 5th with a 41.83.

Round 2. Greg Lewis again set the target to beet posting a 38.78.  In this round Nigel Whitchalls turned the table on Greg by posting a 38.20. Clayton Landells was to go even quicker posting a superb 35.95 to win the round. Andy Burgoyne took 4th with a 39.12. Mark Passingham was 5th with a 40.34.

Round 3. Nigel Whitchalls set what was to be the target to beet in this round, this being a 45.08. With the following 9 pilots posting mostly mid 40's -mid 50's Dave Woods then looked to be going to win the round by posting a 41.43. However Mike Evans was to push Dave into 2nd by posting a 40.76 to win the round. Mark Passingham posted a 45.65 to finish 4th. Greg Lewis was 3rd with a 46.22.

Round 4. Greg Lewis opened this round with a 38.59 this was to secure him 3rd place in this round. Graeme Mahoney flew a 40.74 to take the 2nd place position. Clayton Landells again showed everyone he was on top form by posting a 37.81this was to win 'Skip' the round. Dave Woods finished in 4th place with a 43.17. Ian Falconer took the 5th place position with a 44.71.

Round 5. Mark Passingham had an excellent rd 5 posting a time of 37.71, this was to win him the round. This too was to be a good round for Ian Falconer finishing 2nd with a time of 39.03.  Mike Evans was back into the top 3 after posting a 39.54 to take the 3rd place. Graeme Mahoney finished this round in 4th after posting a 42.28. Greg Lewis was 5th with a 42.57.

Round 6. Greg Lewis posted  what was his 4th sub 40 of the day this being a 39.61. This was to give Greg a 3rd place in this round. Mike Evans took 2nd place with a 39.26. Clayton Landells posted his third sub 40 of the comp with a 'Cracking' 36.03. Andy Burgoyne finished in 4th with a 42.10. Mark Passingham took 5th with a 42.34.

Round 7. Greg Lewis opened the round with a 40.25, this was to win him this round. Nigel Whitchalls posted a 40.82 to give him 2nd place. Andy Burgoyne secured himself a top 3 placing by posting a 40.87. Dave Woods finished in 4th with a 43.69. Mike Evans was 5th with a 44.58.

Round 8. With a new hill record having already been set by both Greg & Clayton, Greg pushed this time even lower with a 'Blistering' 33.85. Graeme Mahoney posted a 38.12 to give him third place in this round. David woods secured himself his second 2nd placing of the comp with a 37.93. Mike Evans finished in 4th place with a 38.28. Mark Passingham was 5th with a 39.47.

Round 9. Greg Lewis opened with a 43.69, this was give him 2nd place, David woods finished 3rd with a 44.01. Clayton Landells equalled Gregs tally of 4 sub 40's on the day by posting a 'Cracking' 35.89 , this was to win him this round. Mike Evans finished in 4th with a 44.36. Nigel Whitchalls was 5th with a 46.95.

Round 10. Dave woods achieved another second place by posting a 37.55. Mike Evans took 3rd place with a 43.17. The final flight of the day was by Clayton Landells, this was another excellent round by 'Skip' posting what was to be the second fastest time of the day a 34.54. Nigel Whitchalls took 4th with a 43.52. Andy Burgoyne was 5th with a 44.94.

With the racing having been so close, nobody could confidently call who had won the comp or the order of the top 5 placings.  It was down to the computer to reveal all.

The top 5 placings ;- 

1st .  Clayton Landells. 1000.0              Pike Precision

2nd . Greg Lewis .            992.52              Pitbull 2

3rd .  Mike Evans .           949. 73             Shinto

4th.    David Woods         947.02             Pitbull 2

5th.   Nigel Whitchalls    914.7                Pitbull. 

Fastest time & new hill record by Greg Lewis 33.85 in rd 8.

Stu, Whitesheet Comp Sec.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

f3fman

Well done guys. Maybe this will stop people thinking Whitesheet is always a slow hill !!    

😁😁

• Like 3

isoaritfirst

Great comp Stu. Many thanks for your efforts. I know it can be hard to stay motivated when so many comps have failed over the last year. 

It was worth waiting for. 

with winds varying from very low 7m/s to very blustery 20+ And thermals blowing through regularly it demanded a high level of concentration to keep things on track. 

Fly light and bounce along on the thermals or fly heavy and try too keep hold of any speed you found. It was clear to see the differences in approaches. 

For me, many changes in styles dependent on how the air felt gave me resonantly consistent times. But I did lack the killer punch that Clayton found on several rounds. 

Impressive how that Pike took off whenever it sniffed lift. Pitbull 2’s seemed to have a good day as well , Greg and Dave and Graham all putting in some stunningly quick and efficient looking turns. 

Nigel was impressive as well. Some very smooth flying and great times early in the day. 

Goid stuff from wookiman as well. Completing the day in such difficult conditions and looking at ease during his flights, looks like he will soon be climbing up the boards. 

I did roll my Shinto on the last landing due to a sticking flap. Caused by a very small deformation of the wiper. Happened earlier in the day and I mmade a temporary repair that lasted ok until the last round. I now have a repair to a very slightly creased tailplane to do. 

Should have fixed the wiper better, or flown some thing else. Lesson learnt. 

Cheers Stu and the team, let’s do it again soon. 

• Like 2

f3fisa

When I arrived for the comp I set up my new Picam box courtesy of  Barney's design in front of Base B. I then left it on all day taking stills every time an object crossed the centre of the frame. There were many false triggers because of grass in front of the camera, but to my surprise it stayed in position for the whole day despite standing on only 2 legs of a mini tripod low in the grass.

Every time an object crosses the line a buzzer sounded on my wireless RX, I must add I did not use it in the comp.

Below are a few images from the unit, the time can be seen on the right side of the picture, the camera running at 42 to 44 frames /second.

If you do not know the timing system consists of 2 cameras and a central timer box linked to an Android Tablet running Mark Trebles F3F app.

It looks like it will be a very useful practice tool.

David.

mjpeg081.jpg

mjpeg085.jpg

mjpeg086.jpg

mjpeg088.jpg

mjpeg089.jpg

• Like 4

isoaritfirst

Looks like I nailed it Dave 😀

• Like 2

Brett82

Looks good Dave. I've been messing about with my cameras while I wait on the centre box and had thought of something that might help with your false triggers.

Point the camera higher so the base of the camera view is just above the slope edge. It will then not see the grass and if the plane is below the slope the camera wouldn't see it anyway.

Gromit
10 hours ago, f3fisa said:

When I arrived for the comp I set up my new Picam box courtesy of  Barney's design in front of Base B. I then left it on all day taking stills every time an object crossed the centre of the frame. There were many false triggers because of grass in front of the camera, but to my surprise it stayed in position for the whole day despite standing on only 2 legs of a mini tripod low in the grass.

Every time an object crosses the line a buzzer sounded on my wireless RX, I must add I did not use it in the comp.

Below are a few images from the unit, the time can be seen on the right side of the picture, the camera running at 42 to 44 frames /second.

If you do not know the timing system consists of 2 cameras and a central timer box linked to an Android Tablet running Mark Trebles F3F app.

It looks like it will be a very useful practice tool.

David. 

Dave, I'm very interested to learn much more about the system, as this is something I am looking into for our club. Would you kindy email me info / details. (swallacegromit@aol.com)

Thank you Dave, very much appreciated 👍

Stu, Whitesheet Comp Sec  (swallacegromit@aol.com)

Stefan Bertschi

Seems you guys had a blast.

Congrats to the podium.

• Like 1

Baldyslapnut

Hi Stefan,

If you changed blast to ballast you would be correct.

One of those comps when driving home and your core body temperature was returning to normal you thought. "Yeah that was worth it".

A bit tough at some points during the day.

Big respect to my fellow flyers who made the effort to to take part.

Greg