Sign in to follow this  
cirrusRC

Robotic gliders train themselves to soar on thermals

Simon B

I'm sure it's coming...  If you had temp, altitude and  ground view data being fed in also it could get really interesting, different sort of competition though, who can build the "best" autonomous glider, but fun. All the "bits" are readily available and could be fitted into a one make model something along the lines of a  Radian. 

pete beadle

Hi SimonB

Then again, I can see the pleasure in accomplishment you'd feel, but where's the FUN!:D

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Simon B

You're right Pete, perhaps fun's the wrong word, I'd rather be flying than programing any day, but an interesting challenge for the dark months maybe.

• Like 1

pete beadle

Hi SimonB

Perhaps it's a generational thing? Humans have competitive spirit built in.....its literally in our DNA......helping to confirm the survival of the fittest perhaps?.....

I can forsee a time when future generations will regret the increased influence of AI, robotics and such, as not being "natural" to humans.....anyone read "The Machine Stops", the short story from H G Wells? It's all laid out in there.......:yes:

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

glideher

this is bound to happen one of these days,would be great for long distance flights, reconnaissance missions etc. but for a hobby not so fun

• Like 1