GeoffN

Illegal to fly above ridge hight at the Bwlch ?

Steve J
35 minutes ago, Scuba Steve said:

Checkout Air Navigation order 2016, Article 94 A. Models under 7kg can fly above 400ft.

Actually the ANO says that no SUA can fly over 400ft without permission. Which members of the BMFA have.

Steve

Steve J
50 minutes ago, oipigface said:

… and it is confused about what is meant by 'distance' as distinct from 'height'. The diagram clearly interprets 'height' as used in the ANO to mean 'Euclidean distance measured along the normals to tangents to the slope from place to place', or equivalently 'minimum Euclidean distance from SUA to slope'. Personally, I've always been led to believe that in common parlance 'height' means 'Euclidean distance vertically above', which is what an altimeter measures, and I suspect (and hope) that this what the ANO means rather than the weird idea conveyed by the diagram.

From CAP 1687. 

In aviation terms, ‘height’ means the vertical distance of an object (in this case the small unmanned aircraft) from a specified point of datum (in this case above the surface of the earth). To cater for the few occasions where a small unmanned aircraft is being flown over hilly/undulating terrain or close to a cliff edge, the 400 ft height above the surface requirement may be interpreted as being a requirement to remain within a 400 ft distance from the surface, as shown in the diagram below. For the purposes of Article 94A, this is considered to be an acceptable means of compliance with the legal requirement.

Steve

PS @GeoffN quoted this in the first post in this topic.

f3fman

John Philips will be alright then ;-)

• Haha 1

Phil.Taylor
3 hours ago, f3fman said:

John Philips will be alright then 😉

Nice one - don't see too many 400ft bushes on the slope edge 😁

Phil.

Keeping a low profile...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Andy_B

summer certainly seems over ....😚

oipigface
12 hours ago, Steve J said:

From CAP 1687. 

Steve

PS @GeoffN quoted this in the first post in this topic.

Equally confused and confusing in words and pictures.

• Like 1

satinet

Does anyone know what's happening with the stuff in CAP1687 relating to registration and competency testing?

Steve J
On 28/09/2018 at 07:26, oipigface said:

Equally confused and confusing in words and pictures.

This is the wording from the EU's draft regulation (annex, UAS.OPEN.010) -

Where the UAS operation involves the flight of the UA starting from a natural elevation in the terrain or over terrain with natural elevations, the UA shall remain at a maximum distance of 120 meters from the surface of the earth.

The main body of the regulation includes age limits for remote pilots, something that I though that they had given up on. As I read it, the lowest that it could be for model gliders is 14.

Steve

Steve J
On 28/09/2018 at 11:03, satinet said:

Does anyone know what's happening with the stuff in CAP1687 relating to registration and competency testing?

I haven't seen anything UK specific,  the draft that I linked to above includes this -

... who has completed an online training course and passed an online theoretical knowledge examination provided by a competent authority or by an entity recognised by the competent authority. The examination shall comprise at least 40 multiple-choice questions distributed appropriately across the following subjects:

–  air safety

–  airspace structure concept

–  aviation regulation,

–  human performance limitations,

–  meteorology,

–  operational procedures,

–  UAS flight performance,

–  UAS general knowledge,

–  navigation,

–  privacy and data protection,

–  insurance,

–  security.