Frickmann F3K setup

Monz

Anyone using this that could help me please? 

I can't get to the channel config pages to set up and trim the various channels. I've read the RCgroups thread. Clearly I'm doing/have done something wrong. Perfect day for a maiden and I'm inside fart arsing around with this thing! Aaaaargh!!

I’m pretty sure that problem is usually because you haven’t got the scripts set up somehow. 

Maybe you don’t have Lua enabled in the opentx build or you haven’t copied the scripts to the correct location. 

I followed the instructions of copying the scripts across and ticked both lua and luac when I updated the firmware. I updated the bootloader too. 

I can't get to any of the channel configuration pages that are shown on the rcgroups thread so can't setup the glider. I've tried resetting the tx and starting over from scratch but that just made things worse.

Here's the first page of that thread with pics of what I'm talking about, he says two long presses of the Page button will take you here. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2578134-F3K-program-for-Taranis-QX7-and-X9D-with-scripts-for-score-keeping-and-graphing

The pages you can’t see are generated by the scripts so there must be something wrong in that area. 

There are similar problems reported around page 33 of the regroups thread with some similar suggestions for resolving them. 

It’s hard to diagnose remotely but could be as simple as a typo in a directory name or something. 

I saw you mentioned in one of the posts here or on RCGroups that you only have a single text file in your IMAGES directory - that sounds like the files haven't been put in place.

The folder structure I have on the SD card looks like the image attached. If you don't have those files in that location (and the others in FUNCTIONS, MIXES etc) then it wont work.

The download link for all those files is this one: https://github.com/jfrickmann/SoarOTX/archive/master.zip I don't think that link is very obvious in the installation instructions (you have to go to https://github.com/jfrickmann/SoarOTX and then select "Clone or download" - the green button at the top of the file listing.

Make sure the SCRIPTS and IMAGES directories are merged rather than copying SCRIPTS inside of the existing SCRIPTS.

lua files.JPG

• Thanks 2

And finally set up! 

Once the thing is working it is quite intuitive and I've learnt more about Taranis' global variables and mixing and switch assignments and how to edit them than with the previous programme I was using. 

Tomorrow is looking like a great day for an extended trimming and tweaking session. 

But now, beer!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just got this on my new Taranis, awesome bit of kit! Moved over from the Spektrum DX9/IX12 

When doing the Flaperon alignment part in the set up, are you guys just eyeballing it? I'm not ocd but I've always used a ruler or throw gauge to set throw on each aileron exactly, but just eyeballing it would sure be easier and quicker. If your ailerons are off just a tad when flush with the centre tab, does that bother you or do you not notice it in flight? Mine have always had to be absolutely dead on, it breaks my heart when they are not haha.

I like to be a bit "OCD" about this stuff, but the right trim is when the model does no rolling at speed, if they are not even, then there is some twist in one or more surfaces, It doesn't take much, and it doesn't make much odds unless it is so bad as to make the model roll one way at speed and the other way when you slow right down.  Any discrepancy will make far more difference at speed, so if you trim for speed, it will be pretty close for the rest of the speed range, IMHO. FWIW, my Stark looks terrible in this respect with a rather twisted aileron, but fly's fine, despite, given it's had three separate wing snapping events repaired. Two cents...

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
StraightEdge

Re Paul's post above on 22nd Sept last year, thanks for this!

I was having the same problem as Monz (complete spasms and confusion of control surfaces) until I read the small-print and downloaded the correct bits, now all working fine on the Go Mini (test-bed model).

Originally taught myself the essentials of the  OpenTX thing with a Taranis XD9+ I bought earlier this year, first by programming a trad slope-soarer, then a power model.  Not a huge fan of online tutorial or videos, but this Taranis X9D Plus OpenTX User Manual really made the difference.

However the Frickmann file for F3K is of a completely different order!  Especially useful is the the Configurator - saves having to spend loads of time 'underground'.

Now I can get round to unsealing the box  from Hyperflight my Auri came in (in err... March!) and get the build done... in time for the Autumn!

StraightEdge

A couple of queries or so:

Aileron/flaperon travel:

I assume in the Frickmann programme that maximum aileron travel is standard across the three main flight modes - cruise, speed and float - and is not independently variable for each mode?  Not that I'd want to complicate things further, but the template I had on my old Spektrum enabled independent travels (as well as independent sub-trims which the Frickmann has) for each mode.

Also, as regards aileron travel when braking with flaperons, the GO Mini has +/- 12mm travel range:  when the brakes come down to a max of 30mm, the up travel remains limited to 12mm, whereas the old Spektrum template overrode the usual flight-phase limits in brake-mode and brought the up-coming aileron right back up to speed-mode flush.  What is the 'norm' - and/or should I be turning using rudder instead at slow-speeds to prevent stalling?

Coupled rudder:

The mix for this seems to be dependent on the Global Variable set.  As shipped the GV is set to zero, i.e. no coupling.  Again is there a norm (say 25% or similar) to reduce pilot-load or does my left-thumb need to get out more?

The Configurator versus the normal menu pages:

Does the Configurator do everything, or do people wind up just using it for the basics (like levelling the flaperons etc) but set thing things like travel limits etc using the normal menu pages?  It seems that if one isn't careful, messing with normal menus can throw the configurator out...!?

Jon

Paul Gleeson

I’m using the basis of the Frickman program for the timing & scoring. The actual programming for the controls I did myself so I could understand it.

Now I am putting aspects of his program back in. Especially configuring  the ailerons. It is just a curve which you can edit manually, one each aileron. The program does a good job of making it easy to setup. Like the other aspects for elevator and rudder. 

The configurator programming plays no part when you exit the menu. All the values are can be changed outside the program. 

Regarding the rudder coupling, you can change it how you like. Even have different values per flight mode. Global variables can me set by flight mode  

Your other point about the limited up travel with the brakes deployed is the reason I did my own program. Trying to figure out the details of the mixer was hard for me with channels mixing to channels. 

I came from Spektrum as well. OpenTX is much more capable and therefore more complex. But I kinda stuck with a “Spektrum” style of mixers that I understand. 

Are you coming to the event at buckminster on Sunday?

Paul

StraightEdge

Thanks Paul.  That all makes sense.

I'm not a natural programmer:  I've done okay so far with understanding the basics via the manual and by setting up simple models, but wouldn't yet know how to start from scratch programming in a fraction of the functionality needed for even basic F3K modes, let alone timers, altitude telemetry, etc.  So the Frickmann template seems a very useful starting-point, especially the configurator for centring and aligning flaperons, etc, and reading through its menu-pages has given me greater understanding of the system in general.  But thereafter the waters quickly get very murky!  Aside from altering some basic variables (e.g. expo in the INPUTS page or elevator travel there - or in the MIXER page as the manual indicates?) I'm very shy of touching anything else in case I make a mess which I can't tidy up again!

Therefore - unless I've missed a trick? - I'll just live for now with its limitations.  By the time my flying skills have improved to the point where I really want full-flush up aileron when in braking mode or different flight-phase surface travel limits (*), I might also have gained the programming skills to 'hack' the template or write my own  file?

I can't make Sunday unfortunately.  Work and life stuff (and some tiny balsa and tissue FF competition models weighing in the region of 10-25g) got in the way of my ambitions for DLG, and I'm only picking up on it again now.   I hope to have the Auri airborne next week... and have the Hockcliffe Sept and Twywell Oct dates in my diary!

Jon

(*) PS I've just re-read your post above:  are you saying that travel limits and other mixes/variables can in fact be altered independently for each mode via Global Variables?

Paul Gleeson

Yes, global variables are set by flight mode.

I got round the aileron movement issue by having a curve that increases the aileron travel as you deploy the flaps. I also set a dedicated "landing" flight mode so I can adjust aileron to rudder mix, differential, trim and other variables.

With the Frickmann program you have have limited ability to roll and turn the plane when the brakes are deployed.