Jump to content
Matt-R

Rudder hinge repair

Recommended Posts

Matt-R

Help needed. I have a stormbird and the rudder hinge has broken. Does anyone have any advice on the best way to repair it?

thanks 

Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MikeDaBike

This thread may help ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
isoaritfirst

Sometimes cyano will fix it. 

Tape with diamond tape and drip on  small amount of cyano. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matt-R
9 hours ago, MikeDaBike said:

This thread may help ?

Thanks Mike that’s great. I’ll try what has been suggested and see how I get on.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matt-R

Hi thanks for the advice, would you know where I can get diamond tape from?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
isoaritfirst

It’s a sellotape product. Try t9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MikeDaBike
2 hours ago, Matt-R said:

Thanks Mike that’s great. I’ll try what has been suggested and see how I get on.

 

None of it from me I might hasten to add 😉 but I have found it very useful so much so I now have an unopened bottle of geocell to use if needed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matt-R
2 hours ago, isoaritfirst said:

It’s a sellotape product. Try t9

Will do! Thanks again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matt-R

I might take you up on that! I’ll see how I get on. Thanks again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kyri

Matt I am not sure if you fixed it yet, but I had a similar problem, a whole length of a flap was detached on a 3m glider.  I almost used silicone as per the recommendations, but decided to try something else. I got the lightest kevlar cloth I could get hold of, (sorry, I can't remember gsm, maybe 60 or so possibly 45).  Then I cut a narrow strip, and wetted it with 24hr araldite which has a bit more flexibility than laminating epoxy at least for a while. 

I taped the flap in place to get a tight fit from the opposite side, bent it back and fitted the pre-wetted kevlar. Then I closed the flap, trapping a thin balloon inside, the really thin ones used for making shapes and animals at children's parties. I had put some clear film over the epoxied hinge to stop the balloon sticking later.

I didn't over-inflate the balloon but it forced the new hinge in place. The next day I was a bit alarmed when the flap didn't move,  so I bent it back enough to get a dremel between the wiper and wing and scored all the way along the edge of the new hinge. Kevlar is not completely shredded as glass would have been so i was left with a live hinge that should last. The 24hr araldite was not completely hard so I was able to bend the flap for the scoring- this might not have been possible with harder /faster setting resin.

It was quite a bit of messing about but thought it worked quite well, for an experiment! Perhaps you or someone else can benefit in the future. I left the tape on the other side (possibly dymond tape or something similar, a clear thin tape. 

Cheers! 

Kyri

hinge repair1.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matt-R
7 minutes ago, Kyri said:

Matt I am not sure if you fixed it yet, but I had a similar problem, a whole length of a flap was detached on a 3m glider.  I almost used silicone as per the recommendations, but decided to try something else. I got the lightest kevlar cloth I could get hold of, (sorry, I can't remember gsm, maybe 60 or so possibly 45).  Then I cut a narrow strip, and wetted it with 24hr araldite which has a bit more flexibility than laminating epoxy at least for a while. 

I taped the flap in place to get a tight fit from the opposite side, bent it back and fitted the pre-wetted kevlar. Then I closed the flap, trapping a thin balloon inside, the really thin ones used for making shapes and animals at children's parties. I had put some clear film over the epoxied hinge to stop the balloon sticking later.

I didn't over-inflate the balloon but it forced the new hinge in place. The next day I was a bit alarmed when the flap didn't move,  so I bent it back enough to get a dremel between the wiper and wing and scored all the way along the edge of the new hinge. Kevlar is not completely shredded as glass would have been so i was left with a live hinge that should last. The 24hr araldite was not completely hard so I was able to bend the flap for the scoring- this might not have been possible with harder /faster setting resin.

It was quite a bit of messing about but thought it worked quite well, for an experiment! Perhaps you or someone else can benefit in the future. I left the tape on the other side (possibly dymond tape or something similar, a clear thin tape. 

Cheers! 

Kyri

hinge repair1.JPG

Hi Kyri

Thanks for that great tip, I think I’ll give that a try. Mine is only on the rudder but I think the elevators may not be too far behind. It’s a great model but the hinges seem to weaken quickly. I’ll post how I get on when I’ve fixed it.

Thanks again

Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.