Matt-R

Rudder hinge repair

Matt-R

Help needed. I have a stormbird and the rudder hinge has broken. Does anyone have any advice on the best way to repair it?

thanks 

Matt

MikeDaBike

This thread may help ?

isoaritfirst

Sometimes cyano will fix it. 

Tape with diamond tape and drip on  small amount of cyano. 

Matt-R
9 hours ago, MikeDaBike said:

This thread may help ?

Thanks Mike that’s great. I’ll try what has been suggested and see how I get on.

Matt-R

Hi thanks for the advice, would you know where I can get diamond tape from?

isoaritfirst

It’s a sellotape product. Try t9

MikeDaBike
2 hours ago, Matt-R said:

Thanks Mike that’s great. I’ll try what has been suggested and see how I get on.

None of it from me I might hasten to add 😉 but I have found it very useful so much so I now have an unopened bottle of geocell to use if needed

Matt-R
2 hours ago, isoaritfirst said:

It’s a sellotape product. Try t9

Will do! Thanks again.

Matt-R

I might take you up on that! I’ll see how I get on. Thanks again.

Kyri

Matt I am not sure if you fixed it yet, but I had a similar problem, a whole length of a flap was detached on a 3m glider.  I almost used silicone as per the recommendations, but decided to try something else. I got the lightest kevlar cloth I could get hold of, (sorry, I can't remember gsm, maybe 60 or so possibly 45).  Then I cut a narrow strip, and wetted it with 24hr araldite which has a bit more flexibility than laminating epoxy at least for a while. 

I taped the flap in place to get a tight fit from the opposite side, bent it back and fitted the pre-wetted kevlar. Then I closed the flap, trapping a thin balloon inside, the really thin ones used for making shapes and animals at children's parties. I had put some clear film over the epoxied hinge to stop the balloon sticking later.

I didn't over-inflate the balloon but it forced the new hinge in place. The next day I was a bit alarmed when the flap didn't move,  so I bent it back enough to get a dremel between the wiper and wing and scored all the way along the edge of the new hinge. Kevlar is not completely shredded as glass would have been so i was left with a live hinge that should last. The 24hr araldite was not completely hard so I was able to bend the flap for the scoring- this might not have been possible with harder /faster setting resin.

It was quite a bit of messing about but thought it worked quite well, for an experiment! Perhaps you or someone else can benefit in the future. I left the tape on the other side (possibly dymond tape or something similar, a clear thin tape. 

Cheers! 

Kyri

hinge repair1.JPG

Matt-R
7 minutes ago, Kyri said:

Matt I am not sure if you fixed it yet, but I had a similar problem, a whole length of a flap was detached on a 3m glider.  I almost used silicone as per the recommendations, but decided to try something else. I got the lightest kevlar cloth I could get hold of, (sorry, I can't remember gsm, maybe 60 or so possibly 45).  Then I cut a narrow strip, and wetted it with 24hr araldite which has a bit more flexibility than laminating epoxy at least for a while. 

I taped the flap in place to get a tight fit from the opposite side, bent it back and fitted the pre-wetted kevlar. Then I closed the flap, trapping a thin balloon inside, the really thin ones used for making shapes and animals at children's parties. I had put some clear film over the epoxied hinge to stop the balloon sticking later.

I didn't over-inflate the balloon but it forced the new hinge in place. The next day I was a bit alarmed when the flap didn't move,  so I bent it back enough to get a dremel between the wiper and wing and scored all the way along the edge of the new hinge. Kevlar is not completely shredded as glass would have been so i was left with a live hinge that should last. The 24hr araldite was not completely hard so I was able to bend the flap for the scoring- this might not have been possible with harder /faster setting resin.

It was quite a bit of messing about but thought it worked quite well, for an experiment! Perhaps you or someone else can benefit in the future. I left the tape on the other side (possibly dymond tape or something similar, a clear thin tape. 

Cheers! 

Kyri

hinge repair1.JPG

Hi Kyri

Thanks for that great tip, I think I’ll give that a try. Mine is only on the rudder but I think the elevators may not be too far behind. It’s a great model but the hinges seem to weaken quickly. I’ll post how I get on when I’ve fixed it.

Thanks again

Matt