Northern Winter League 2018 / 2019

Jon_E

Have a good one guys. Apparently 2 races in 2 weekends is asking too much... 🤬

Highly annoyed cause it looks like it's going to be the best conditions we have had for a race day in a long time. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Maxscotland said:

Awsome comp today :)

I can imagine, looking at the direction and wind strength on XC Weather around lunchtime.  Might be some new PBs for the fastest times thread?

Simon

• Like 1

Back in the car with Peter and Mike in the afterglow of my new pb.. :)  :)

34.something. will confirm when the spreadsheet is published Simon.

Well down to the top 3 . Mark R. 1st Greg D. 2nd and Peter 3rd.

Thanks to the comp team for a great day and all the good banter  :)

Cheers Ewan 

• Like 7

Well that was a bit breezy to say the least! Some great flying in what were quite gusty conditions.
Wind was square on to the South slope and averaged 16m/s throughout the day

The day started with three consequtive sub 40's and the trend continued with nearly half the flights being sub 40.
Throw in a couple of PB's ( Ewan and Steve  that I know of ) and at the end of the 11 rounds, I think one could say the 17 pilots had a good day!!

Congrats to Mark R for his win, Greg D in second and Peter in third. A stunning FTD went to Steve with a 31.22 in R8

Result Summary as follows :-

image.png.63a28975422341a503c3354fb2842d01.png

Full spreadsheet to follow

Thanks to everyone for helping with the buzzing and shifting stuff.
Next meeting 1st Dec

Cheers
Jon

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Cracking day out,  was nice to be flying again, not flown for a while!!  (2yrs I think) I couldn't get enough ballast in my old Crossfire 2 but did manage a 32xx , shame my N124 is laid up with slight storage rash.

Well done to all who attended and especially the top 3, well done guys, here hoping the next one will give similar conditions.

• Like 2

Sounds like a 'Cracking' start to the Northern winter lg series, well done Guys. 

Congrats to Mark on winning the event, to Greg on being 'runner up' & to Pete on taking the third spot, well done Guys 👍

Congrats to those who achieved new PB's 👍

Stu. 

It was a superb day 😀

It's a great hill in 20ms + as the landings are safe & easy with 2kg of ballast on board.

Great turn out too, good job really as we were whizzing through the rounds with all the fast times!

• Like 3

Without a doubt, that was the best start to a winter league series that I can remember!!!😎 

The wind was very slightly crossed to the right on the main southerly bowl, blowing 15m/s + and creating some tremendous lift throughout the day. It was a little variable, but the eleven rounds easily aggregated the variance and produced a worthy winner (well flown Mark). 

The field was also the strongest that I've seen for this event, and a quick calculation suggests that we had circa 200 years of soaring experience on the slope. 

In terms of models, the field was pretty varied. Certainly the Pike Precision 2 looked exceptionally good in the hands of Pete G, Steve H and Greg L. The Freestylers were also well represented and lived up to their reputation, and the new Pitbull 2 seemed pretty effective too. 

Rich B started out as the cream of the crop but suffered with less than favourable air during the latter part of the event. Mark R was flying accurately, but conservatively - steady, stoic and unrelenting. Pete G was smooth, aggressive and stylistic but suffered a nasty cut which was costly. Steve G and Greg L were really carving the air with their new models - both planes looked spectacularly good. Ewan was on fire and nailed a PB, as did Steve with a magnificent 31.xx - a sight to behold. 😎👍

Pengy wasn't looking too  shabby either - if anyone can tell me the secret of popping up to the slope and flying a 32.xx after a two year hiatus, please let me know 😉

My thanks to Jon and Mark for running the show seamlessly and to Pengy, Greg L and Ewan for some top notch launches. 

Cheers, 

Greg

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Well, it has been more than 10 years since I entered a Winter league event, and how things have changed.

The standard of flying has improved considerably. I  counted 80 sub 40 second flights.

In total there were 178 flights in 5.25 hours, that's about 106 seconds per flight.

Great organization, great weather and great flying made this a memorable F3f event.

I think the availability of the best model to anybody who has the money has changed everything.

Back in 1986 at my first F3f event, if you could build well and fly OK, then you could do very well.

Things changed when moulded models came along and now there is no excuse for not winning if you are the best flyer, except maybe a bit of bad luck.

So congratulations to the top 3, especially to Greg Dakin for showing me how well the  Pitbull 2 can be flown. (It's all in the rudder you know).

David.

Oh PS there was only 1 crash, how different it was from years ago.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, f3fisa said:

Oh PS there was only 1 crash, how different it was from years ago

Obviously you havent read about this years Welsh Open.... planes making unexpected landings all over the place.

1 hour ago, Brett82 said:

Obviously you havent read about this years Welsh Open.... planes making unexpected landings all over the place.

Or the world champs lastmonth. There were at best moderate winds, but there were planes in the pits, planes on the beach, planes up trees...and these were supposedly the world's best flyers.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, f3fisa said:

The standard of flying has improved considerably. I  counted 80 sub 40 second flights.

Yes, I’ve noticed this also!

I have had a go at the winter league a few times now, partly because I’m too busy at work in the summer, but also partly because I don’t want to embarrass myself by running before I can walk. I saw the WL as a way of gaining experience flying and buzzing before an eventual foray into the actual summer races.

That’s got to change now. You guys just keep getting better!!!

I promise I’ll be back (not like Arnie though). Hopefully I can get to the next meet...

Tony

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SilentPilot said:

Yes, I’ve noticed this also!

I have had a go at the winter league a few times now, partly because I’m too busy at work in the summer, but also partly because I don’t want to embarrass myself by running before I can walk. I saw the WL as a way of gaining experience flying and buzzing before an eventual foray into the actual summer races.

That’s got to change now. You guys just keep getting better!!!

I promise I’ll be back (not like Arnie though). Hopefully I can get to the next meet...

Tony

Nobody should feel they aren't good enough, the only ones that get embarrassed, are the very experienced competitors when they **** up, get yourself along to the next comp, yoj will always be welcome, just make it known if your unsure of the buzzing etc don`t wing it..

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Greg Dakin said:

Without a doubt, that was the best start to a winter league series that I can remember!!!😎 

The wind was very slightly crossed to the right on the main southerly bowl, blowing 15m/s + and creating some tremendous lift throughout the day. It was a little variable, but the eleven rounds easily aggregated the variance and produced a worthy winner (well flown Mark). 

The field was also the strongest that I've seen for this event, and a quick calculation suggests that we had circa 200 years of soaring experience on the slope. 

In terms of models, the field was pretty varied. Certainly the Pike Precision 2 looked exceptionally good in the hands of Pete G, Steve H and Greg L. The Freestylers were also well represented and lived up to their reputation, and the new Pitbull 2 seemed pretty effective too. 

Rich B started out as the cream of the crop but suffered with less than favourable air during the latter part of the event. Mark R was flying accurately, but conservatively - steady, stoic and unrelenting. Pete G was smooth, aggressive and stylistic but suffered a nasty cut which was costly. Steve G and Greg L were really carving the air with their new models - both planes looked spectacularly good. Ewan was on fire and nailed a PB, as did Steve with a magnificent 31.xx - a sight to behold. 😎👍

Pengy wasn't looking too  shabby either - if anyone can tell me the secret of popping up to the slope and flying a 32.xx after a two year hiatus, please let me know 😉

My thanks to Jon and Mark for running the show seamlessly and to Pengy, Greg L and Ewan for some top notch launches. 

Cheers, 

Greg

Cheers Greg,  a 44with a cut and a 42 with a cut didn't help my comeback..i promise to practice more to slow down rather than just making it up as I go along..:-)

Nobody should be afraid to enter an F3f because they feel they will not be good enough.

You just have to look at past F3f results from many years ago on Mike Shellims website, and see how most of the fastest pilots now, were placed when they started flying in F3f.

I think one of the good and bad things about our weather in the UK is that it is very variable and if  on the day the lift is thermic, you can beat even the best pilots if you  fly well and get the thermal.

If all comps were in near perfect conditions every time, then the same people would always win, and you wouldn't get many newcomers.

The other good thing is the PB, which is a bit like a handicap in Golf, you can still compete with the best golfers, but when you beat your handicap/PB then you feel you have achieved something.

David.

• Like 3