Northern Winter League 2018 / 2019

Jon_E

19 hours ago, f3fisa said:

So congratulations to the top 3, especially to Greg Dakin for showing me how well the  Pitbull 2 can be flown. (It's all in the rudder you know).

David.

Thanks for the kind words Dave. It was great to see you and Greg enjoying the slope racing again. Such a shame that we didn't have too much time during the day to discuss model tech and flight strategy etc. 

Ref the Pitbull 2, it was my first time out with the model, but I was immediately impressed with the harmony of the handling and extreme agility. I was told that it lacked a little straight line speed, but certainly in the breezy conditions it felt as though it had plenty of punch and carry through. 

I disappointed myself a little bit because I was gifted the best air of the competition. This returned a 32.xx, but I was late on to the course by 3 to 4 seconds. Mark T counted me down 3,2,1.......whilst I was rounding out at the top of a particularly 'big' final pump. Still, it showed the potential of the airframe if nothing else. 

Looking forward to reducing the aileron and elevator throws and moving the CG forward to 98mm.........oh, and mixing snap flap with my rudder of course 😉

Cheers 

Greg

1 hour ago, Greg Dakin said:

Looking forward to reducing the aileron and elevator throws and moving the CG forward to 98mm.........oh, and mixing snap flap with my rudder of course 😉

Doesn't reducing the throws normally go hand in hand with moving the CG rearward?
Unless they were too big to start with I guess!!

Tony

Yes, that's generally the thinking Tony. 

However, this model is so responsive that both CG and throws can be adjusted to provide the best performance. 

The idea here is to establish your preferred flying style with the model. I'm seeking to emulate the approach taken by the Austrian and German teams, both of which fly a wide, looping turn. The forward CG helps the model to 'carve' rather than 'rotate' the turn, whilst the throws define the turn radius. It's a matter of balancing the two to achieve the optimum setting. This should minimise drag and place the model in the correct part of the sky when traversing the turn point. 

Cheers, 

Greg

• Like 3

Maria Freeman
7 hours ago, f3fisa said:

The other good thing is the PB, which is a bit like a handicap in Golf, you can still compete with the best golfers, but when you beat your handicap/PB then you feel you have achieved something.

David.

Come to that ......why not introduce a handicap system ?!!

6 minutes ago, Maria Freeman said:

Come to that ......why not introduce a handicap system ?!!

Because according to @Andy_B my handicap would be landing....

Edited by Brett82
Wrong tag
  • Haha 3

On 05/11/2018 at 20:57, Greg Dakin said:

The idea here is to establish your preferred flying style with the model. I'm seeking to emulate the approach taken by the Austrian and German teams, both of which fly a wide, looping turn. The forward CG helps the model to 'carve' rather than 'rotate' the turn, whilst the throws define the turn radius. It's a matter of balancing the two to achieve the optimum setting. This should minimise drag and place the model in the correct part of the sky when traversing the turn point. 

Cheers, 

Greg

The fun of F3f. 👍

For me the last few years have been a journey into different styles.

Although I do find it hard to commit to one style and set my models accordingly. 

I find the variety  is fun. Ineffective but fun. 

PB2 does look like a model well designed for the fast open style.Faster and less grippy than a PB1.  

But it’s more than style /setup  it’s also choosing the right style for the day / slope. 

And some say F3f just going left to right, which of course it is. But it can be so much more. 

Loving it more now than ever, 

• Like 4

Thanks for sharing this subtle evolution in turn style Greg.

I had seen it happening but hadn't really noted it as something different. I could see you were trying something different last time out at HoH but thought you were just being exuberant 😉

You could see it being refined through the day and was clearly effective 👍

I found a video from Aubry showing what I think you are talking about, something I will have to explore...

That turn style is interesting, and something I watch carefully, I have my eye on all of you...lol Here is a video of Mark R and I doing some turn practice in very light conditions interesting is the slow mo, as it show how the plane carves around a turn and also rotates, the first two models are mine Proton and Crossfire2,  then Mark R flying his Freestyler.  Blimey was is really 2013.! Also to note we had no buzzer or  visual turning aids like flags, we just paced out 50 metres. .focus`s the mind and eyeballs..

• Like 1

That was a great perspective :)

At last years Winter league someone took a photo of my Sunbird while I was mid turn and I thought it looked like I was spinning in, it just looked like it was mid rotation coming down, but I see now the high tail look coming out of the turn is the thing to be doing :D 

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Will we manage another great day at Horcum this weekend?
Well maybe, at least the forecast is for southerly winds again

Early days yet, and as usual the call will be made on Friday, early evening.
Watch this space

Jon

• Like 3

George and I are planning to head down this evening for an overnight at Premier Inn Stockton on Tees.

Just wondering whether to set off or not?

Not an easy call, I don't envy you Jon...

• Like 1

Sorry guys, but the forecasts are not in our favour. 
As Rich says I normally wait until the local forecast at around 7pm

All the current  internet forecasts are not looking good.
If its not raining its misty or foggy.
I think the chances of us getting a comp in is low.

So sorry to say, the comp is OFF.

Jon

• Sad 1

I kind of suspected as much Jon, the forecast has been going away from us rather than coming towards if you know what I mean.

Just as well, would have missed last orders in Stockton 😉

Yeah, good call Jon. 

Shame though. The Redshift (well actually a Pinkshift) is being charged up tonight. Might not tell the Mrs it’s off and go hide in the workshop finishing off the throws etc.