Northern Winter League 2018 / 2019

Jon_E

Well our first winter league since last November was enjoyed in blue skies, warm weather and a good breeze on our favourite slope of Levisham.

With a South Westerly, Levisham would never going to be square on, but it does produce some great lift if only for a limited number of legs.
And so the 7 pilots were to discover, with the earlier rounds being more consistent, the lift appeared to be proportional to the wind speed.
However as the day wore on, the link between lift and wind speed appeared to disappear, much to the frustration of the pilots in contention for a podium finish

After  15 hard rounds, the eventual winner was Mike McCracken,  very closely followed by Rich Bago, and Steve Haley a commendable third.
FTD also went to Mike with a 37.53 in R9.  A great result for Mike with some cracking flying between the top pilots.

The full results were :-

image.png.ea99cea7675e7c446be0086b2f3dfe9a.png

Full spreadsheet here :- http://www.nymrsc.org.uk/Assets/docs/WL_R5_Feb19.xls

Bob had an early landing in R7,  which unfortunately excluded him from the rest of the comp
But thanks to him for staying on to man the bases, much to the appreciation of all.
Thanks to everyone for mucking in  to keep the show moving with minimum of delay.

Pleased to hear that Mark R's car problem  was sorted out, but sadly resulted in him and Pengy missing the comp

See you all next time
Jon

• Like 3

Mike was certainly the worthy winner today with some great flying over 15 rounds in very tricky Levisham conditions.

thanks to John and Mark again for organising another enjoyable winter league event.

Cheers Steve

Looks like you had a great day!

Shame I was working, the Redshift (Pinkshift!) is still awaiting its competitive maiden with me at the helm :D 

26 minutes ago, Maria Freeman said:

did win a round ! 🤪

Congratulations!

The only time I’ve won anything is when I entered the 2m class. Even then I think they were only humouring me because I was the only entrant in the class!!! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How can you tell it is our Winter Round this weekend. 
All this terrific weather is about to desert us that's how!

Still not all bad,  current forecast is SW winds 20-36mph by midday.

Given that we will probably be on Levisham again,
we know that it can produce some challenging conditions , so hang for the fun!

Usual call Friday evening
Regards

Jon

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well we still have a SW wind, 17 to 29mph , and fairly mild for the time of year
So whats not to like, therefore the comp is ON

Meet main Car park at 9:30am
Some forecasts showing more southerly winds
So decision between South Bowl or Levisham  will depend upon actual direction

See you there
Jon

• Like 3

paul garnett

Great day on the south bowl today, well done Mark Redsell on a well fought win.

Conditions a little variable to start but soon settled down to.what was a great days flying.. 

15 rounds aint bad at all and no rain..

Not to self.. Stop cutting!! Two cuts cost me dear.

Well, turned out nice again!

Problem was which slope should we be on?
SW winds are betwixt and between Levisham and the South Bowl

However it didn't really matter for the first few hours, as Horcum was shrouded in mist
So in the intervening period, the forecast  and actuals could be well studied and debated.  Result - South Bowl!

Ten pilots set up camp on the South Slope, and with the mist beginning to lift, flying finally got under way at 11am
Winds were surprisingly square on for most of the day, but the bowl will 'straighten' up the flow even though the wind could be crossed.

6 to 12m/s wind speed at the start and end respectively,  resulted in a nearly a third of all flights being sub 40,s.
After a surprisingly variable days flying, and 15 rounds, the eventual winner with some terrific flying was Mark Redsell. In a close second was Peter Gunning with some equally inspiring flights, and third was Steve Haley , also with some quick flights, so much so , that Steve took FTD with a 33.20 in R12.

Full results here
image.png.d0e7cec91e5b6bf93eadefe962cfb16f.png

Thanks to all for all your support shifting kit up and down from the car park
and running the show during the day

Next and final Winter League is on the 16th March

Regards
Jon

• Like 6

Another very enjoyable winter league comp. The changing air made it impossible to gauge what kind of run you'd get until you were on course, with only one run having a sustained bit of good air which Steve absolutely made the most of.  Pete's FS5 looked superb too, and with everyone putting in some excellent runs it made for a great day out! The weather was really kind too, just knackered now after the fly-buzz merry go round.

• Like 2

Steve Haley

Another great day at HOH.....well deserved win for Mark R demonstrating good consistency as always and Peter looking really fast all day.

Thanks to Jon & Mark T for organising everything.

ED379EAE-4431-4120-A096-1F9A898F45A8.jpeg

E7E52006-B2E3-4187-9467-463551C08A80.jpeg

DD296614-9566-4DFF-A777-43BE108F119A.jpeg

• Like 2

Bob Dickenson

Really good day, I did manage to get under 50sec at a48.16. Must work on the Crossfire to make it fly more reliably straight :- unless it's me that needs fine tuning? 

• Like 4