Eamon

Spektrum Hack for Taranis

Eamon

Not sure if this would be of interest to anyone, but when clearing out my hanger I sold all of my high end Spektrum kit.

That left me with a dilemma, in that I still have several models that are Spektrum compatible and I don't particularly want to get rid of them, as they can be fun to fly and wouldn't fetch much in return if I sold them.

As such I looked at the internet and came upon a hack for FrSky Taranis transmitters that allows you to build a Spektrum DSMX module for use in the JR slot of the transmitter.

There are many blogs on this subject, but the rout I took was to purchase a board (pic 1) and module (pic 2) and then looked for a second hand DX5e tx on ebay.20180722161543_2048x2048.thumb.jpg.0ca45fabaea1093cc405dcfd16a1ca57.jpgs-l500.jpg.e867cb9446d738bc183e162e4b92f818.jpg

The first TX I bought was not suitable, as I could not remove the rf module, but I hit pay-dirt with the second (pic 3 & 4). Ensure you get the DSMX version (3) not the DSM2 (4)dx5e-glamour.png.d1cda8240f12ffeb60895f101b881c61.png0-SPM5500_lg.jpg.56bc81cb15a45dd5fec4f9f208ffd590.jpg

All that was required was to open up the TX (Pic 5) and desolder the module (pic 6) from the board, fit it into the hack board and put together with the module case and antenna.1583610115_DX5Epic.thumb.jpg.601dc78eea8e1038b80a101318ab0234.jpg1144057984_DX5Epic2.thumb.jpg.b963b20dfaa03fdcc8bd249891348eaa.jpg

In all, apart from waiting for the parts, it took about an hour to desolder and clean the module and assemble the module and then test it.  I tested it on a UMX BNF model, to limit damamge and once the channels were assigned properly - FrSky defaults to assignments that are different from Spektrum, it worked like a dream.

As I said, not sure if it will interest anyone, but this means I can limit my TX and continue to use my Spektrum models for weekend fun. (Pic 7 & 😎IMG_3551.jpg.a37afcf2b947874e660b8326a48301a6.jpgIMG_3552.jpg.e4478d95057d4e18c57c01af7b636bb8.jpg

Only 2 warnings.

1.  No matter which RF module you use, the taranis will be limited to 6 channels for use. Oddly the DX4E is a 6 channel RF module - branded as the DX5e module in the tx, as is the DX5e and DX6i.  Just try and ensure you get a DSMX tx not a DSM2, unless you are content with that limitation.

2.  You may get hit with the bad old customs charges from the US, so be prepared.  My circuit board cost an additional £15 in charges.

Kind regards

Eamon

Eamon

Test flew this yesterday, using my Carbon Yak 54 3x and the range was excellent.  No dropping out and flew 3d well, so very happy with this module.  Means I can fly three types of tx with two transmitters, Jeti, FrSky and Spektrum.  Result in my book.

CTR

Hi Eamon,

Did the same with my Taranis some time ago, worked well.

The only difference with mine was to 3d print a new TX handle and put the Spektrum antenna inside the print. This saved my TX becoming a porcupine.

I fitted the spektrum arial to the left of centre and keep the Taranis arial pointing to the right. Can use both together if the need ever arises. Also put a small LED in the handle so I can see when the Spektrum module is in use.

IMG_0706.jpeg

• Like 1

CTR

BTW if anyone wants the STL files for the handle them PM me.

I used ABS for better UV resistance. Also you can screw into the pilot holes directly without it splitting. May have to tap holes if you print in PLA. Uses M3 x 12 csk for screwing the 2 parts together and M6 x 12 cap screws for fixing to the case.

It fits using the existing metal handle holes in the case. An additional hole is drilled for the arial and led wires to go through, to enter the base of the printed handle (no exposed wires when complete).

The design has a rectangular hole for the LED (which is hidden by the Taranis arial in the photo) I have a few LEDs that fit if needed.

Neil P

• Like 1

SilentPilot

CTR,

Looks good! Are there any tips on maintaining separation between the screws and the active potion of the internal antenna? 

• Like 1

Eamon
5 hours ago, paulj said:

I made one of these when I wanted to fly bind and fly models. Source for my information: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw-t_C0nuPc&index=37&list=FL0bC1O3C5RInzqvYRQDq9Og

Me too, but I managed to source a board with the electronics already mounted 🙂  a cheat I know but was much easier than me trying to solder it all with my sausage fingers. 

• Like 1