Ollie

DS Sites

Ollie

Hi all

i am looking at having a go at some ds with my ds40. where is the best location to start

thank you

Andy_B

rushup is probably the easiest to get to 

But not very close to Oxford

Ollie

where is that ?

Ollie

looks great but like you said quite far

thanks

Dave Elam

Isn't there somewhere at Whitesheet? Could swear some guys were DSing around there when i once went down for a comp.

Andy_B

Whump Crump     but im not sure they have access or not now . Breen down is another good one     but still a long way from the M40 

or maybe Pen y Fan ..........but you better be well prepared for there as it can get you into seriously bad weather 

• Haha 1

Brett82

What about the Skirrid???

Never been there, just heard people talking about it and there are some good videos online if you google "Skirrid dynamic soaring". One states 368 mph British record so I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet. 

abbof3f
11 minutes ago, Brett82 said:

Never been there, just heard people talking about it and there are some good videos online if you google "Skirrid dynamic soaring". One states 368 mph British record so I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet. 

Hi Brett ,yep tis our very own Jonathan wells

• Like 1

Andy_B
32 minutes ago, Brett82 said:

shhhhhhhhhh..........................you think the walk to the Crest is bad ...............😲

• Haha 1

isoaritfirst

D40 - just starting out in DS .. 

tricky little beast.

Get a nice JW60 foamie

• Like 1

Andy_B

have you still got the photos of your Falcon Mike ...or Abbos falcon come to think of it 

Brett82
19 minutes ago, Andy_B said:

shhhhhhhhhh..........................you think the walk to the Crest is bad ...............😲

@Ollie is the one looking to do it, not me... so the walk is fine. 🤣

Gromit
2 hours ago, Dave Elam said:

Isn't there somewhere at Whitesheet? Could swear some guys were DSing around there when i once went down for a comp.

Sadly the Whitesheet RFC do not have access to Whumpcrump, it is not a WRFC club site. This has been the case for a  number of years ( approx. 3-4 yrs by my memory )

Stu, Whitesheet RFC Comp Sec. 

Ollie

maybe i will just slope it for a while to get used to it. i like speed as i flown the electric voodoo so hoping to see what the ds40 was like

thanks guys

isoaritfirst

Typically Little models need tighter circles and closer to the floor. Not much room for error.

Bigger is a lot easier.

UK sites also are never as consistent and smooth as these desert slopes appear to be in the vids.

Dave Elam
1 hour ago, Gromit said:

Sadly the Whitesheet RFC do not have access to Whumpcrump, it is not a WRFC club site. This has been the case for a  number of years ( approx. 3-4 yrs by my memory )

Stu, Whitesheet RFC Comp Sec. 

It's quite a while since I was down there so apologies if I've said something I shouldn't have! 

What a brilliant name though in Whumpcrump. It throws up quite a few results in Google.

Gromit
1 hour ago, Dave Elam said:

It's quite a while since I was down there so apologies if I've said something I shouldn't have! 

What a brilliant name though in Whumpcrump. It throws up quite a few results in Google.

Hi Dave,

no problem, no reason for an apology for anything . 

Stu. 

Andy_B
4 hours ago, Ollie said:

maybe i will just slope it for a while to get used to it. i like speed as i flown the electric voodoo so hoping to see what the ds40 was like

thanks guys

O that Ollie ...lol