Fx-32 = which thumby tranny?

Skip

Does anyone know which handheld Transmitter has the same software as the tray FX-32?

Trying to wrap my head around the programming before picking mine up on Sunday 😁

Been reading up on the 14fg, but online people keep comparing it (the 14) to the 8fg. The 12fg also pops up a bit.

Going on the numbers, I'd have thought it was a 16 related software minus the touch screen, probably hoping for too much there though. 😊

Does anyone know of any good sources of advanced programming knowledge, aside from troubling people by PM?

Edited by Skip
Clarity

2 hours ago, swarrans said:

I believe it's closest to the 12FG but not exactly the same...

Hope you enjoy "my" transmitter!!!...😁

Simon

Certainly will! Did you get in touch regarding his friends one?

12FG = FX30.......FASST.........no telemetry.   I still use my FX30, and used to copy models to a 12FG as backup Tx.  Interestingly the manuals are written slightly differently, so I used both to learn the Tx.

FX32 = FX30 + FASSTEST (inc telemetry).  Menus are similar with Telemetry items added into Linkage menu, and Sbus servo settings added into System menu.  The manual seems to be again slightly differently worded in places.  The 12FG manual would be a good starting point for how to set up a  model.

The FX-32 has no direct equivalent. However, all high end Futabas are very similar despite the touch screens and minor differences on menu structure.

And please note, Futaba manuals do suck, specially on glider programming.

I've done the precision. Got 6 conditions (flight modes). In flight adjustment of differential and snap flap and camber for each applicable condition. Was pretty late when I was trying to sort the elevator compensation and was struggling to get in flight adjustment. Will have another look tonight as I've only got one surface of the V tail shifting with the 6th trim.

The inflight adjustment of ele comp  is the only thing I've had to make a program mix for. I'll look harder to see if it was actually necessary (hopefully not). I might end up doing all the butterfly from the program mix instead of the supplied butterfly.

38 minutes ago, Skip said:

The inflight adjustment of ele comp  is the only thing I've had to make a program mix for. I'll look harder to see if it was actually necessary (hopefully not). I might end up doing all the butterfly from the program mix instead of the supplied butterfly.

I always do that, Clayt. I haven't been able to figure out a way of assigning a trim tab to the preprogrammed compensation, but doing it with the programmable mixing is straightforward.

• Thanks 1

Stefan Bertschi

Lazy person as I am I alway set Elevator Trim to Separate instead of Global. With this approach you can trim the elevator compensation for each flight mode individually without bothering with program mix.

But not sure if I got the topic right (confused anyway... who needs 6! flightmodes 😀)

• Haha 1

Stefan, 

4 hours ago, Stefan Bertschi said:

Lazy person as I am I alway set Elevator Trim to Separate instead of Global. With this approach you can trim the elevator compensation for each flight mode individually without bothering with program mix.

But not sure if I got the topic right (confused anyway... who needs 6! flightmodes 😀)

Do you use your brakes on a switch? Struggling to visualise just setting the trim and still having proportional elevator compensation.

I have actually thought about just popping the brakes on a switch, it's very rare that I use half brakes....

I'd never use 6 modes in one competition flight! 

As a mode 1 flyer I have a Launch mode with ailerons mixed to my rudder stick so I have control while chucking it. 

I have a Landing mode, activated by throttle, but only in 2 switch conditions (Launch and Normal). 

SA in the middle gives these next three conditions via SH

A Float mode for thermalling or gaining height without pumping (Who even does this anymore?)

A Reversal mode

And a Smooth mode. 

I have never in my life used Dual Rates and probably will not start now, relying instead on different modes/conditions but mainly my thumbs.

Edited by Skip
I checked the Conditions and switches and cleared the post up.

I do the elevator compensation with program mix as well. However, after few flights I copy the good and tested values to the preprogrammed butterfly mixer and turn the program mix off.

BTW neither do I use dual rates, there is just different flight modes.

I always do fuel rates on elevator and ailerons and often triple  on rudder. 

i set them with very small differences  Then I choose the rate that I feel is right for the day, style or slope  

Elevator trim is set in groups (Jeti) 

So that landing / normal/ launch are a group , speed / thermal are separate. 

I set camber as active under thermal mode and activated proportionally on the throttle stick. Done within the butterfly mix that is programmable within any mode. I also use this mix for speed settings. Elevator compensation is within this mix. 

Not sure if Futaba will offer similar. But may be worth looking at the butterfly mix to see if it is adjustable in each mode.

Butterfly can of course be set for flaps and ailerons up (speed) or down (thermal)

Yes, it's possible to use the butterfly mixer for other purposes (like camber) in the Futaba transmitters. However, I very rarely use variable camber IMHO people tend to overstate effects of the variable camber.

Regarding the rates, its about personal preference; in the old days I saw far too many crashes because sometimes low rates were forget on landing...

In some gliders I have increased elevator rate while butterfly is on. There is several ways to do this, one can simply use higher rates for landing mode but more elegant way to do this is to add a program mix between the elevator function  and stick input (by separating elevator function and input in the function menu) and then using the butterfly stick as a mixer rate adjuster for the program mix. This way you get a proportionally increased elevator rate when the butterfly is used.

Rates are too often set with large differences, where they can lead to problems. Setting them very close to each other gives an effect of keeping the throws feeling similar.  In light winds (flying slowly) having very slightly more elevator and conversely slightly less when flying fast can give a more balanced feel. Typically difference in elevator throw on my settings is 0.5mm. Ailerons around 1mm. Neither setting would create any issues but does give an option that can be useful. 

For me variable camber is used so that half stick is around the right amount for thermal work and full stick is too much. Full stick becomes very useful when walking back to a landing zone etc as it “parks” the model. 

triple rates on rudder I find useful. Rarely using max unless I’m just larking about. The other two I use dependant on how much nose down through a turn I want when racing. Can do it just on thumbs but rates make life easier. 

You can have a "parking" ability also with butterfly by making the ailerons go down along with flaps in the beginning of the butterfly lever movement for some camber to slow down and still maintaining low sink rate. And then, after certain point, ailerons go up like in regular butterfly. That way there is no need to change flight mode during landing.

Having different rates for each flight mode is fine. I don't care for 'traditional' dual rates (where rates can be varied independently of flight mode), they just add another variable to the trimming process.

Crow really needs its own flight mode, otherwise the base settings (camber, mixing etc.) will vary depending on what mode you're in, making it impossible to optimise the crow settings. No need for a separate crow switch - with a decent radio system, it should be possible to make crow mode self-triggering.

In crow mode, I use a combination of reverse diff and aileron to rudder mix to restore the roll response.  I can also tweak a 5-point curve for compensation. The test is to have zero pitch change throughout the crow range, and to be able to fly tight figure of 8's close in under full crow. 

Mike

• Like 1