Jedi Space Lift

Brett82

Got a new addition to the fleet, hopefully get to fly it in some of this year's winter comps. Only just got it set-up so need to maiden and dial it in before I can fly it in anger. Should have it on the course within the next comp or two, ready for next year's summer league.

Jedi wings, shorter Pitbull fus, Fosa lift tails and tail joiner so less V angle. Not sure who got Gregs other plane so you might see two flying around soon. Thanks Greg. 

Here are some pics and a comparison to the Fosa. You can really see that shorter fus and the Fosa nose is much longer before you get to the leading edge. 

20181028_110935.jpg

20181028_111047.jpg

20181028_111124.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Looks damn good Phil. That really "pops out" on the orange. 

I wanted to do something on mine to try make the wings really stand out in the air but I know I will just mess it up. 

I feel a phone call to Les might be in order... haha.

Thanks Brett

Protrim/Orastick is good stuff for adding trim/contrast. Can be repositioned if you don't quite get it right - or floated on wet. 

Phil.

• Like 1

Maiden flight today - 🙂

Managed to get a couple of hours off from family stuff - shame I couldn't get over to Wales for a day of F3F. Beer Head Cliffs - east cliff - nice steady 30mph but very crossed & very grey. Loaded up 1kg of tungsten & chucked it off the cliff - off it went ! - few clicks of down trim to get it moving - and wow does it move - its an absolute animal ! CofG set at 105mm, pretty neutral - 5mm elevator for first flight - too much, bit flicky - toned it down to 4-and-a-bit for the next flight - really nice.

Initial impressions - very fast plane, but doesn't bounce out of the turns like the Freestyler 5 - as others have said it seems to prefer a wider faster turn style.

Its orange - but orange & the added white stripe worked really well for visibility in dull grey conditions.

Might get to like this one :yes:

Phil.

Jedi_Beer.thumb.jpg.72528679d5dab1c50d84af6e515f7d70.jpg

• Like 1

No need for the tape Phil. 

I used a hard foam block, backed with a piece of epoxy board. Hard foam holds itself in place then epoxy board is an Interference fit against inside of nose cone. Nose cone holds everything in place, wrap of tape around the nose cone as per normal reinforced all. 

Hi Phil,

with my JEDI I did it similar to your approach (by a special position holder block), but included already the small 2.3 mm GFK plate with a clear step in direction the brass weights, see picture below.

In my JEDI lift, I waived the special block, but fixed a small  wooden plate in addition into the cone direct above the brass to keep the brass up and behind the clear step.  It keeps the brass in position during a bang landing.

Remark for the picture: It shows my JEDI lift, but there is only one brass loaded and it is shifted a little bit in backward direction to show the clear step. For normal operation the  first brass and 2.3 mm GFK plate touch.

Have fun with your wonderful glider, Niklaus

DSCF5431.thumb.JPG.9af82637c6a265016f0af7908c05d7e0.JPG

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Designed a plug. I have not printed or tested it yet. But given that it is a very straight forward little thing and that I could use the wooden plug of my Jedi Lift as a reference  ... here it is. If anything needs to be changed, just let me know.

Change the .txt extension to .stl for 3D printing. 

Jedi Lift Plug.jpg

Jedi Lift - Fus Ballast Stopper STL File.txt

On 19/02/2019 at 16:58, F3Phil said:

Designed a plug. I have not printed or tested it yet. But given that it is a very straight forward little thing and that I could use the wooden plug of my Jedi Lift as a reference  ... here it is. If anything needs to be changed, just let me know. 

The above version works and is in use in my Jedi Lift. I still have improved the thickness of the "tongue" sticking out to make it an even better fit. Change the extension of the attached TXT file to STL for 3D-printing.

Jedi Lift Fuselage Ballast Stopper.jpg

Jedi Lift - Fus Ballast Stopper v4.txt

1 hour ago, F3Phil said:

The above version works and is in use in my Jedi Lift. I still have improved the thickness of the "tongue" sticking out to make it an even better fit. Change the extension of the attached TXT file to STL for 3D-printing.

That looks really good, thanks for sharing.

Just wondering if there is any difference in the fuselage ballast tube between the Jedi Space Lift and the Jedi Lift. I suppose the easiest question to ask would be if there is a difference between the  fuselage ballast in the Pitbull and the Jedi Lift  (as the Jedi Space Lift uses a Pitbull fuselage). 

I know there is a difference with the wing ballast, not sure if that applies to the fuselage though. 

3 hours ago, Brett82 said:

...  is there a difference between the  fuselage ballast in the Pitbull and the Jedi Lift  (as the Jedi Space Lift uses a Pitbull fuselage)? ...

The fuselage ballast of Jedi and Jedi Lift is the same and the cone is interchangeable, even the total length of the fuselages and wing root coords are different.
Can't make a statement about Pitbull (1) fuselage, but may be somebody knows the difference between Jedi and Pitbull (1) fuselage, than the question above would be answered.

• Like 1

The ballast tube of the standard Jedi is same as the Pitbull, and cones are interchangeable. See Alibabaj's thread of 2-3 years ago for more info on Jedi Lift differences.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, decided to try add some contrast to my wings to make the tips stand out a bit. The plain orange on the wings looked good but I like wings to have a little something to give it some contrast. 

Dont see much brushed aluminium on F3F models. Thought I would give it a try.

Its car vinyl wrap, much thicker than solar film but much easier to work with. Sticks like crazy and with a bit of heat from the wifes hairdryer it bends around curves well. Very easy to apply.

I'm well chuffed...

20190320_233440.jpg

20190320_233235.jpg

20190320_233259.jpg

20190320_233108.jpg

• Like 6