What is F5B?

Baldyslapnut

Welcome to the new F5B Barcs thread.

So what is F5B.  It is a multi task event with a Speed, duration and landing task.

Here is a video of the speed task.

We run practice days on a regular basis. If you would like to come along and have a go or see what it is all about. Let me know.

Greg

• Like 3

Nice! Will be good to have a dedicated space on the most active UK forum to talk about all things F5B.

I would just like to highlight that you don’t need a competition airframe to join in on the fun. Pretty much ANY electric glider will be suitable to fly the tasks and give you a feel for what it’s all about and meet the very friendly people flying the class.

There are generally also plenty of second or 3rd hand airframes and drive systems up for sale within the group at bargain prices.

J

Thank you Jos.

Well made points. 

I will post our next practice session on here when we schedule one. 

Greg

6 minutes ago, SilentPilot said:

Is that the distance task?

What does the Speed task look like?

In F5B the "speed" task is the "distance" task, or at least the distance task in which as many laps of the 150m course have to be completed in 200s and the fastest speeds occur during  this task. 

There are various videos of what it looks like, but capturing this effectively on video is not easy, and the video of Greg's is one of the better ones because the plane is not tiny in the frame and the plane stays in the frame. There are others (I have taken a few) done with a various phones which, although the plane is small, give a good feeling of the distance task in which the speed is the highest on the first lap after a climb. 

Following the 200s on the course, then the pilot climbs out and has to fly for 10 minutes on minimum power, in some cases no power if they got a decent climb into lift after the laps.  For instance if they make a lap turn and think there is not enough time to get to the next base before the buzzer goes off for 200s, they may as well climb out and in 1-2s the plane can be at a few hundred metres easily. 

Then a spot landing. Just remember not to leave the flaps out on hitting the spot :)

Thanks! Getting there now :) 

With regards to the spot landing, do you score from where you touch down or where you slide to and end up?

Well, this tends to be the same place because the planes are  hardly ever landed on a bowling green, usually a farmers field with longish grass so they don't slide on landing. Also there is a spike which usually stops them sliding (most often of more use when we practise at our local clubs or whatever). Anyway to answer your question it is the distance from the spot to the nose of the model at rest. The tape is attached with a peg and can be moved to check which landing circle the nose of the plane is in.

• Like 1

• Austin pinned this topic

An F5B has considerably higher wing loading then F5J/F3J and so the landing speed is higher. On short wet grass the model can slide all the way through the landing circles if no peg is used. As Kyri writes, not generally a problem at UK competitions and so you don’t “need” one. The landing is scored only in 10m, 20m and 30m circles with 30,20,10 or zero points. Not like F5J/F3J where it is more of a precision landing contest.

• 4 months later...

F5B season is starting soon, for anyone who wants to come along here are the dates and locations:  

https://www.f5b.co.uk/news/2019-league-dates/

Equipment does not have to be expensive, this is a setup with a cheaper motor setup, and a 6S battery. Video facing backwards just so you can get a feel of the climb rate. They are so neutrally stable as flying machines, that they are actually quite easy to fly. Like a mini F3F on step in good air on a good slope! 

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

I like the looks of this format. I'm still undecided which discipline to focus on... Do you have to choose only 1? 😛

Would an e-Sunbird make a suitable machine to practise F5B?

Ok I've done some digging...
I was trying to compare wing loadings just to see how the e-Sunbird would square up to say the Excalibur that seems to be a credible novice option.

I never did find the WL of either but I was surprised to read that the e-Sunbird, if manufacturers quotes are to be believed, is actually lighter than the Excalibur.
Then again actually the 'empty' weight may mean shell only, no motor or servos so it might be very misleading, though the margin might actually allow for this!

So far my e-Sunbird has only been flown with a storage charged 3S 2200 pack and performance was good. The battery sits under the spar, pretty much on the CG, so swapping to smaller and lighter batteries is certainly possible :) 

Not sure I'd want to try 10S (42V 😲) but I think the drive train is ok on 4S.

Certainly not a rocketship but preliminary thoughts are it might not actually be the lead zeppelin that I feared it would be!

Merry Christmas to all. 
Might see you in the New Year :D  

Tony 

Hopefully the weather improves after Christmas. You are based in West Yorkshire. Where do you fly?

Greg