Dave Demott

Schwing 88 control throws

Dave Demott

Hi,

I have bought a schwing 88 but not yet flown it.

It didn't come with a manual so I am guessing at where the CG needs to be and what throws to set it up with.

Could anyone point me in the right direction for base throw setup including crow braking?

Thanks

Dave

Pete Burgess

Here's the Schwing instructions, for control throws see page 9

Pete

Schwing instructions.pdf

Dave Demott

Thanks Pete,

That's exactly what I am looking for.

Dave

oipigface

I found with my Schwing that it is prone to tip stalling with CROW fully deployed. I now never attempt to turn with the brakes out.

Dave Demott
5 hours ago, oipigface said:

I found with my Schwing that it is prone to tip stalling with CROW fully deployed. I now never attempt to turn with the brakes out.

Yes I read that on another thread. I have set the CG to 96mm and limited the up aileron to 5mm when deploying crow.

I struggle to believe that the 18mm quoted in the manual can be right.

That's full movement so doesn't allow for any aileron control with crow on. I'm not surprised that it tip stalls with that setup.

SilentPilot

I’ve not got a Schwing so maybe I should keep my opinion to myself but here goes!

Up Aileron should serve to lessen the effects of “tip stalling” (I hate that term by the way, it’s a spin) by effectively adding a lot of washout. The bulk of the lift comes from the inboard section of the wings not out at the tip so it should behave better not worse...

I guess it could be the asymmetric use of the ailerons that's the issue. If your downgoing wing can’t raise its aileron further then all you have is a downgoing surface on the other wing. That is bad form!

When it “tip stalls” is it a stall on the outside wing causing an opposite spin?

Tony

Dave Demott
5 hours ago, SilentPilot said:

I’ve not got a Schwing so maybe I should keep my opinion to myself but here goes!

Up Aileron should serve to lessen the effects of “tip stalling” (I hate that term by the way, it’s a spin) by effectively adding a lot of washout. The bulk of the lift comes from the inboard section of the wings not out at the tip so it should behave better not worse...

I guess it could be the asymmetric use of the ailerons that's the issue. If your downgoing wing can’t raise its aileron further then all you have is a downgoing surface on the other wing. That is bad form!

When it “tip stalls” is it a stall on the outside wing causing an opposite spin?

Tony

Well that's my 101 in aerodynamics.

Thanks for the info.