How to unplug sticky wings?

oipigface

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

Have a look at screw fix hedgehog easy air wedge 140Kg of push and no damage 

Looks like they are 2mm thick before inflation, and I've got only 1.5mm. Good idea, though, which may be useful if I can get the extra 0.5mm! I wonder how accurate that 2mm is?

Those Winbag type "tools" are great.  I have a couple and they make removing/replacing doors a doddle.  Amazing what you can lift with them.

John, if the load you apply to the wing root face is right up against the joiner you will be applying force down the joiner box structure rather than the root rib.  Probably difficult to achieve effectively but less likely to break that rib.

Can you measure how thick yours is (deflated), please, Jerry? I've only got 1.5mm at the moment, and I'm reluctant to fork out on a bag or two unless I can be sure that I can get it into place.

Tone-the-glider

If you have a gap between the wing roots and the fuz? even a small one. could even file a bit off the fuz the make the gap wider. 

Then try sliding in as  wide as possible flat steel plate in both sides  (something hard like spring  steel)

Then  using a pair of (the sliding the type that can have the plastic faces reversed)  clamps between both plates to slowly ease the wings appart.

image.thumb.png.f1c73efc7151631cb5e499dc65995eb7.png

Tone-the-glider
12 minutes ago, Tone-the-glider said:

Here is a better pic.

On second thoughts, I dont think you will find  clamps that will close down small enough to fit between the  steel plates.

A hole drilled through each of  the plates with a nut against the inner side, with a bolt through against the opposite plate. Then slowly and evenly tighten the nut to ease the plates apart  

image.png.673c756e6f375f0c109047a5b3ec453f.png

• Like 1

Thanks for your suggestion Tony. It is more or less what I have been using unsuccessfully, only I've used screw clamps. The force I need seems to be greater than normal for the problem to be solved simply. Very rigid supports for the blades are also necessary. I've put the plane next to a radiator in a spare bedroom in the hope that dryness might be part of the solution, and in the meantime I'm fitting the lighting in the back of my van.

Hi John, sorry for the tardy response to your request - just seen it.

Thickness varies a bit.  I squeezed it with my digital caliper and got 2 adjacent edges down to about 1.6mm.  I would not want to say it will go much thinner but with some lube may be persuaded into the gap.

The bag is made from a single sheet folded over and welded on 3 sides.  One side weld is definitely 2+mm thick at the edge but you may well get the corner in or could maybe shave the thick weld down a bit.

You can borrow one if needs be.

• 4 weeks later...

No, Jerry, I haven’t. They’ve been four weeks or so in front of a radiator, and I’ve given them a tug every so often without any result. I’ll get back to them some time soon, but I can’t say it’s top of my list of priorities.

I hope you and Hilary have a serene Christmas.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, I've been to give them a tug every so often, to see if they've dried out, or shrunk back, but they seem just as sticky as ever. I also went to a local metal fabrication shop to see how much a steel version of the wooden machine I made would cost. I don't know the answer yet. I'm in no rush really, and have a ton of other jobs to do, including sorting out a schedule for this year's flying, which is now getting urgent! I haven't tried drilling into the joiner box yet to release any possible hydraulic lock. I'll may be try that this afternoon, since the weather's nice.

Tell me what you want making out of metal john ,

I will fabricate it for you and post it to you , for nowt

Bob

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have just checked my Extreme wings and the joiner boxes both open into the wing. If yours are the same you definitely are not looking at a hydraulic lock so drilling holes will be fruitless.

Mechanical interference would seem be the problem. 

• Like 1

On 16/11/2018 at 17:30, isoaritfirst said:

IMG_1297.jpg.c6a79d18d47c6a82633f067c4f596a38.jpg

wing joiner is hollow so hydro lock would seem less likely. but could be released by drilling into joiner at the centre.

Pay attention at the back   👨‍🎓

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, wookman said:

joiner "boxes" both open into the wing.

Pay attention at front. 😜. I know the joiner is hollow, I was on about the boxes it goes in.

• Like 1

I must not confuse my boxes with my joiners.

• Haha 2