How to unplug sticky wings?

oipigface

On 23/01/2019 at 18:54, Bobbyr said:

Tell me what you want making out of metal john ,

I will fabricate it for you and post it to you , for nowt

Bob

Thanks, Bob. You’re a star! PM sent.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wookman said:

Pay attention at front. 😜. I know the joiner is hollow, I was on about the boxes it goes in.

awight at the front awight at the back ..............

• 2 weeks later...

Well done John  :thumbsup:

Curious looking reinforcement to the fuselage.  Did you resort to sawing the fus in half so you could get some serious effort to the wing-joiner separation?  :blink:

15 hours ago, Scram said:

Curious looking reinforcement to the fuselage.  Did you resort to sawing the fus in half so you could get some serious effort to the wing-joiner separation?  :blink:

I thought I had posted more details last night, but they don’t seem to be here.

The assembled plane was too big to safely manoeuvre anywhere in either shed or house, so yesterday afternoon being more or less free of rain, I took it out into the garden with the idea that I would try drilling into the joiner box as Skip suggested. The piece of wood taped to the boom serves two purposes. It stops direct contact of boom with radiator, and it stops the boom flapping about while I’m tugging at the wings. Anyway, I extracted a servo (MKS6125, jammed solid), and decided that the flexible Dremel extension would be needed to get at the joiner box.  Before toddling off to the shed, though, I thought I’d just give it another tug. So fus between knees, both hands on wing, and it moved about 1/4mm! (Yes, I measured it.) 

Then I thought, if it moves 1/4mm, it will probably move another quarter, and 400 of those will see the wing off. Further tugging made no difference. I had a go at the incidence pins which were now easy to get at with a hacksaw, but whatever they are made of, it is very hard. Then I tried to think of what I could use to lever it off. Plasterer’s float? Too flexy. Steel bar joiner? Not really wide enough to be used safely. Carpenters square? Fits neatly between joiner and pin, nice and stiff, and wide. Pull behind joiner. The gap no longer parallel. Pull in front. Not parallel the other way. Not off, either, but at least it’s moving and not getting damaged. Ten minutes of this rocking back and forth and it started to come way. At 5mm it was completely free, and slid off easily.

The joiner was reluctant to come free of the fus as well, so I whacked it on the end half a dozen times with a rubber mallet. The opposite wing just slid off the way it’s supposed to.

There’s little clue as to why it was jammed so tight. I am more inclined now to the hydraulic lock hypothesis than I was especially since the second wing moved so easily.

Anyway, all’s well that ends well. Thanks to you all for your suggestions. I reckon that three months in front of the radiator was the key to success, but I also reckon that my machine would have worked, and possibly, if the available gap had been bigger, the inflatable bag thing. I’m going to cancel the order now.

And thanks again to Neil Llewellyn who was kind enough to go fetch it for me!

• Like 3

On 10/11/2018 at 17:43, oipigface said:

You wouldn't expect after that amount of time that there would be much left of it, but the wings and the fuselage seem at first sight to be in quite good nick. The boom is broken, and there's a tear in the starboard wing LE, but the structure seems fine. I haven't checked the servos yet, and the tailplanes are a different matter. I suspect that they would be OK to fly again, but the skin has sagged around the substructure, so the section is very far from accurate.

Excellent work to get the wings apart!!

What is the structure like after being by the radiator for a while, any better? What will be involved to get this flying again, are the tailplanes repairable?

• Like 1

Only ever binned one model.

a McMeekin DS Falcon. 

180 mph straight into the trunk of a very large oak tree. 

Dug a hole and buried it where it lay. 

• Like 1

Spent most of my aeroplane time today cleaning up the Extreme, assessing the damage and what I’m going to do about it. The fuselage is snapped about half way between wing and tail. The break is not clean, though, because the boom is built with a quite heavy carbon/kevlar cloth and kevlar doesn’t get brittle the way carbon does when it is used with epoxy. 

566F2363-24C1-4984-B773-53C64BAB5C67.thumb.jpeg.bd05907dad1c3e48cbb730b352e89cad.jpeg

I am thinking that a carbon/ epoxy tube inserted in there is probably the way to go. Although the plane generally seems to be in really good nick, there are places where more damp may have got in than others, and this break in the fus is one of them. I’m thinking maybe 2.5 or 3 inches of carbon on each side. I’ve taken the pushrods and their outers out, so there are no difficulties in putting stuff inside. 

DB9ABF51-2E50-4C6E-B238-863746571D72.thumb.jpeg.71d08fc0988babb248084698d8281ef3.jpeg

Here’s the hole in the wing. It’s about 4 inches across, and in a part of the wing where the LE and TE are parallel, so I’m probably going to take a mould from the opposite wing, to make a new bit of wingskin with.

The rest of the damage is really quite minor. I’ve lost the covers for the wing pushrods, and there’s some algae growing on the wipers:

122EEC33-60E5-4432-8122-9FDF6A0CF3C6.thumb.jpeg.e8c7f151feeaa9e401c1baadaf6d99fa.jpeg

There’s a small ding in the wing skin:

ECF10260-4FD2-45FC-8AF7-51BDACD9EC60.thumb.jpeg.413c0c5bfc41664d615585890cd08bff.jpeg

and a very small crease and a bit of distortion of the aileron on one wingtip:

C7CDF551-772B-4778-9129-1E5CEC91138F.thumb.jpeg.d5ecfc28482384e3b3992bb057527768.jpeg

I think the tailplanes can only be discarded. The foam stuff used for the skins has completely collapsed, and I’ve ordered a new set:

748400A1-5ADD-480B-9954-02418F52889E.thumb.jpeg.b750da9550cdd8fe0c1b5d036e005618.jpeg

I’m looking forward to flying it again, but I don’t think I shall ever try to race it. Even though it seems as robust as it always was, I’m not at all sure that seven years in the damp can leave a composite structure like this unscathed.

AA1E211B-A0CC-4782-ABFA-D45D2EC99EFB.jpeg

With new tails, and a repaired fus, the main concern would be for the aileron/flap skins to delaminate and flutter (try tapping etc), or for the shear web of the spars to weaken as these may include balsa which might have suffered.  In my Crossfire the shear web is balsa only (I have had opportunity to inspect this...).  The published details on Shinto show a similar sort of approach.

• Like 1

Well done OPF. Perseverance pays off. With your skills that looks very repairable. With that amazing colour scheme it really deserves to back in the air. What history and provenance.

• Like 1

Flooding the te sparwith cyano may restore some structure if you think

it has deteriorated. 

But you can get products for repairing damp wood. 

• Like 1

Hi

If you decide to reinforce any potentially rotted or moisture damaged timber I've found Rustins wood hardener to be best, I've used it many times in my job and it has migrated over to the hobby aswell. 

It really does work well and makes the balsa rock hard, it can be thinned with white spirit to allow it to be run down the spar/sheer web. 

If you do use it be careful to avoid surface contamination as it dries quickly, especially when thinned for some reason, and is a pain to remove when set. 

It's also good for stabilising balsa prior to sanding a bit like sanding sealer but much tougher, ideal for leading edges. 

Regard Gareth 

Good luck with whatever you do, this has been a great thread👍

• Like 2

Quote   "  I’m not at all sure that seven years in the damp can leave a composite structure like this unscathed. "

Wonder how all those McClaren's etc get on then, specially with a bit of salt thrown in  :frantics:  🤔

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Scram said:

Wonder how all those McClaren's etc get on then, specially with a bit of salt thrown in  :frantics:  🤔

Being in a Welsh forest, in whatever weather happens to happen is a bit different from being kept in a nice warm garage with an occasional outing in the wet! It’s actually the possibility that part of the structure might be wood that worries me most. I doubt if there are many Morgans that aren’t kept under cover.

I have only come across one piece of wood in the model. This was an insert to the servo tray, which fell apart as soon as I started to remove the servos. If there is any wood in the wings, I really wouldn’t want to stress it too much, if at all. I’ll ask Milan.

Speaking of servos, I found three Futaba S3150’s labelled ‘gears’ in a box today, and another labelled ‘gears fitted August 2018’. I think these are probably what I’ll fit.