oipigface

How to unplug sticky wings?

oipigface

No, Jerry, I haven’t. They’ve been four weeks or so in front of a radiator, and I’ve given them a tug every so often without any result. I’ll get back to them some time soon, but I can’t say it’s top of my list of priorities.

I hope you and Hilary have a serene Christmas.

wookman

Any further progress with the recalcitrant wings?

oipigface

Well, I've been to give them a tug every so often, to see if they've dried out, or shrunk back, but they seem just as sticky as ever. I also went to a local metal fabrication shop to see how much a steel version of the wooden machine I made would cost. I don't know the answer yet. I'm in no rush really, and have a ton of other jobs to do, including sorting out a schedule for this year's flying, which is now getting urgent! I haven't tried drilling into the joiner box yet to release any possible hydraulic lock. I'll may be try that this afternoon, since the weather's nice.

pete beadle

Hi OPF

Looking back on the posts on this string I really admire your persistence so far, I know quite a few fellow flyers who would have given up long since!

Let's hope the old saying is true and "persistence pays"..... I'm sure you know we're all with you in spirit, so let's hope all the positive encouragement we have offered eventually does the trick and that "final tug" is actually successful :yes::thumbsup:

BTW I dropped  a tiny servo retaining screw yesterday, searched for it for AGES, finally gave up and got ready for bed last night with a real "grump" on, only to wake up this morning to find the screw on the bedroom carpet!......it had obviously fallen into my shoe and fallen out on the carpet when I took them off, putting a smile on my face that lasted for hours today.......so, know that you are right to persevere,  keep the faith, and remember tomorrow is another day!:)

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702 

Bobbyr

Tell me what you want making out of metal john ,

I will fabricate it for you and post it to you , for nowt

Bob

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

wookman

I have just checked my Extreme wings and the joiner boxes both open into the wing. If yours are the same you definitely are not looking at a hydraulic lock so drilling holes will be fruitless.

Mechanical interference would seem be the problem. 

• Like 2

isoaritfirst
On 16/11/2018 at 17:30, isoaritfirst said:

IMG_1297.jpg.c6a79d18d47c6a82633f067c4f596a38.jpg

wing joiner is hollow so hydro lock would seem less likely. but could be released by drilling into joiner at the centre.

Pay attention at the back   👨‍🎓

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

wookman
21 hours ago, wookman said:

joiner "boxes" both open into the wing.

Pay attention at front. 😜. I know the joiner is hollow, I was on about the boxes it goes in.

• Like 2

isoaritfirst

I must not confuse my boxes with my joiners.

• Haha 3

wookman

You is a funny man! 😀

• Like 1

oipigface
On 23/01/2019 at 18:54, Bobbyr said:

Tell me what you want making out of metal john ,

I will fabricate it for you and post it to you , for nowt

Bob

Thanks, Bob. You’re a star! PM sent.

• Like 2

Andy_B
11 hours ago, wookman said:

Pay attention at front. 😜. I know the joiner is hollow, I was on about the boxes it goes in.

awight at the front awight at the back ..............

pete beadle

Hi all

Odd that this string brought back the memory of my dear old school motto - Omnia discendo vinces - knowledge conquers all -

Sorry if I've miss-spelled  it, it WAS a long time ago - but it really does say it all, doesn't it?:thumbsup::)

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Scram

Watching this with interest.

BTW John, thanks for the Seasons wishes.  I've only just got back to this story.

Scram

Hey John,

there's some of those airbag wedges available at Lidl from next Sunday, 3rd Feb.

J

oipigface

A picture is worth a thousand words:

BCE09E05-60F7-452F-B4F4-1CA111829F0C.thumb.jpeg.02a58fb8ca8fd9d24f0d76c7df4423b0.jpeg

• Like 6

Scram

Well done John  :thumbsup:

Curious looking reinforcement to the fuselage.  Did you resort to sawing the fus in half so you could get some serious effort to the wing-joiner separation?  :blink:

Skip
31 minutes ago, oipigface said:

A picture is worth a thousand words:

BCE09E05-60F7-452F-B4F4-1CA111829F0C.thumb.jpeg.02a58fb8ca8fd9d24f0d76c7df4423b0.jpeg

Woohoo!!!!! Be in the air in no time!!!

pete beadle

Hi OPF

Congratulations! So, what exactly did you do to get the wings off?

Waiting to hear about it with bated breath:thumbsup:

Pete

BARCS1702

oipigface
15 hours ago, Scram said:

Curious looking reinforcement to the fuselage.  Did you resort to sawing the fus in half so you could get some serious effort to the wing-joiner separation?  :blink:

I thought I had posted more details last night, but they don’t seem to be here.

The assembled plane was too big to safely manoeuvre anywhere in either shed or house, so yesterday afternoon being more or less free of rain, I took it out into the garden with the idea that I would try drilling into the joiner box as Skip suggested. The piece of wood taped to the boom serves two purposes. It stops direct contact of boom with radiator, and it stops the boom flapping about while I’m tugging at the wings. Anyway, I extracted a servo (MKS6125, jammed solid), and decided that the flexible Dremel extension would be needed to get at the joiner box.  Before toddling off to the shed, though, I thought I’d just give it another tug. So fus between knees, both hands on wing, and it moved about 1/4mm! (Yes, I measured it.) 

Then I thought, if it moves 1/4mm, it will probably move another quarter, and 400 of those will see the wing off. Further tugging made no difference. I had a go at the incidence pins which were now easy to get at with a hacksaw, but whatever they are made of, it is very hard. Then I tried to think of what I could use to lever it off. Plasterer’s float? Too flexy. Steel bar joiner? Not really wide enough to be used safely. Carpenters square? Fits neatly between joiner and pin, nice and stiff, and wide. Pull behind joiner. The gap no longer parallel. Pull in front. Not parallel the other way. Not off, either, but at least it’s moving and not getting damaged. Ten minutes of this rocking back and forth and it started to come way. At 5mm it was completely free, and slid off easily.

The joiner was reluctant to come free of the fus as well, so I whacked it on the end half a dozen times with a rubber mallet. The opposite wing just slid off the way it’s supposed to.

There’s little clue as to why it was jammed so tight. I am more inclined now to the hydraulic lock hypothesis than I was especially since the second wing moved so easily.

Anyway, all’s well that ends well. Thanks to you all for your suggestions. I reckon that three months in front of the radiator was the key to success, but I also reckon that my machine would have worked, and possibly, if the available gap had been bigger, the inflatable bag thing. I’m going to cancel the order now.

And thanks again to Neil Llewellyn who was kind enough to go fetch it for me!

• Like 4