Peter G

One for your Christmas List

Peter G

I have recently invested in a digital throw meter from Digitech and it has made things much easier setting up, along with the CG meter from Potachiavi that (T9 now stock)- http://www.digitech.nl/angle-throw-meter-preorder

The Digitech throw meter is very good and gives a read out in mm and angle. It says it will read down to 0.1mm but mine doesn't,  its whole mm but with this and the angle I am happy that I can get things the same both sides better than I could with a ruler.

I have just seen another one on Facebook that looks even better, it measures both sides at the same time and looks to do in 0.1mm increments I thought I would share with Christmas coming up, it would make an excellent present from me to me -  https://glidercg.com/gliderthrow/

Feel free to share any good gadgets you have found!

• Like 1

Skip

I saw that today too! Would love to go through enough planes to make it worth it! And the CG machine too.

I love gadgets 😁

I'd love the piCam system.

And a decent video camera.

Brett82

I saw them too Pete but it made me wonder how they are on the elevator of a F3F model. 

There is not much surface area to mount it to plus does the V angle cause any issues?

SilentPilot
47 minutes ago, Brett82 said:

There is not much surface area to mount it to plus does the V angle cause any issues?

The angle probably does affect the measurement, but if the V is symmetrical (like it should be!) then although both sides may be off the difference between the two can be eliminated. This would likely end up still being more accurate than using a ruler!!!

Or I guess you could lay the fuselage so the surfaces are flat and do them one at a time...

Or get an X tail 😛 

Full size racing gliders are all T tail. Nobody to my knowledge has pursued a V tail since the SHK.

Tony 

Eamon

I use two TL90 Pitch gauges. 

Easy and cheap, and light enough for all my applications. But the Glider CG version looks excellent.

IMG_3649.jpeg

• Like 1

oipigface
12 hours ago, Peter G said:

I have recently invested in a digital throw meter from Digitech and it has made things much easier setting up, along with the CG meter from Potachiavi that (T9 now stock)- http://www.digitech.nl/angle-throw-meter-preorder

The Digitech throw meter is very good and gives a read out in mm and angle. It says it will read down to 0.1mm but mine doesn't,  its whole mm but with this and the angle I am happy that I can get things the same both sides better than I could with a ruler.

I have just seen another one on Facebook that looks even better, it measures both sides at the same time and looks to do in 0.1mm increments I thought I would share with Christmas coming up, it would make an excellent present from me to me -  https://glidercg.com/gliderthrow/

Look back through your old BMFA News copies, Peter, and you'll find details of the Digitech, including the method ( discovered by me!) by which the resolution can be switched between 1 and 0.1.  Also my tricky method of attaching it to the surface using magnets.

Glider throw looks good! They use magnets as well.

• Like 1

Peter G
2 hours ago, Brett82 said:

I saw them too Pete but it made me wonder how they are on the elevator of a F3F model.

You need a ruler to do one side if you are looking for say 5 or 6mm. Then you can just match the angle / mm on the other side.

The Digitech one is 24mm wide, the same as the elevators on the two models I have done with it so it fits OK.

11 hours ago, Skip said:

I'd love the piCam system.

We want it for Scotland too! It would be ace for solo practice or comps with low numbers. I think Pierre has it running with automated timing software on android. For those who haven't seen it, Barney's wiki page is here - https://github.com/barney-NG/piCAMTracker/wiki#partlist

• Like 1

Peter G
38 minutes ago, oipigface said:

Look back through your old BMFA News copies, Peter, and you'll find details of the Digitech, including the method ( discovered by me!) by which the resolution can be switched between 1 and 0.1.  Also my tricky method of attaching it to the surface using magnets.

Hi John, I found it in the October 2017 issue using the excellent search feature.

But you don't say how to switch between 1mm and 0.1mm resolution in the article? Its not in the instructions and I have googled it and can't find anything. So if you coule let me know how to do it, I would be most grateful.

Peter G

Aha, its OK John. I did it! Just a long press on the F button until it goes past the reset stage.

Nice one, only thing is I feel I should check the models again now...

oipigface

The truth is in the captions! " Photo 6: The + and - buttons are used to set the chord width, so the device can convert angles into throws correctly. The F button has three functions: a short press toggles the large display between angle and throw ; a longer press zeroes the device; holding the button down beyond the zeroing routine toggles accuracy between integer and 1/10th in both millimetres of throw, and degrees of deflection- a fact that is omitted from the online instructions. "

• Like 1

Brett82
50 minutes ago, Peter G said:

We want it for Scotland too! It would be ace for solo practice or comps with low numbers. I think Pierre has it running with automated timing software on android. For those who haven't seen it, Barney's wiki page is here - https://github.com/barney-NG/piCAMTracker/wiki#partlist

We also want to set up a system but I want to try link it to Mark's race management system. He is busy at the moment but he may try get something working after Xmas. 

rumbey
On 11/11/2018 at 20:42, Peter G said:

Yeah got one. Very good but they are very sensitive, Often the servo buzz will prevent a zero neutral reading. Still its a lot closer than any other method

Eamon

Just ordered one of the GliderThrow meters.  Look brilliant and should make setup even smoother and closer.

Thanks for highlighting these.

• Like 1

George Young

IMG_6300.thumb.JPG.259bd788f410cb7d96e23487c1d6c2df.JPG

My Digitech AT Wizard arrived yesterday and it works well. Downloaded the app and powered-up the AT Wizard and it works. "Plug and Play".

I just used bluetac to hold it in place.

• Like 2

oipigface
2 hours ago, George Young said:

I just used bluetac to hold it in place.

I thought that was what the Blueteeth were for!

• Haha 3

Eamon

Look what was waiting for me when I got home 🙂 ....................................................

IMG_3664.jpg

IMG_3665.jpg

IMG_3667.jpg

• Like 1