Sign in to follow this  
pete beadle

At last.....a glider with an ION drive has flown

pete beadle

A firm called Designboom have flown a glider powered solely by an ION drive for the first time this year. The drive has NO moving parts and uses no combustible fuel, fossil or otherwise

‘It took a long time to get here,‘ said Ken Barrett. An MIT engineer in charge of the project   ‘going from the basic principle to something that actually flies was a long journey of characterizing the physics, then coming up with the design and making it work, now the possibilities for this kind of propulsion system are viable.’

The original idea came from an episode of “Star Trek” Ken admitted….then the work began…. Search  “designboom ion glider” on Google to see the video

Barrett and his team at MIT have published their results today (22nd November 2018) in the journal “Nature”

SilentPilot

I think they are being quite generous saying that was sustained flight. 

That was quite a launch. The flight was gently descending, surely sustained flight has to be actual level flight or else it is gliding, a 60m glide from that force of launch is entirely possible, especially at that height where ground effect would be noticeable.

Tony

Jef Ott

With the power off, the glide was only 10m

SilentPilot

50m from launch energy! :D 

pete beadle

Gentlemen

I'm surprised by your disparaging comments

We are talking about the VERY FIRST ION drive that actually, provably works after all.......

Ken Barrett says  "now the possibilities for this kind of propulsion system are viable." and later on, that "interest is already appearing with drone manufacturers" ......also that the plane flies, not that it soars.........have you seen any of the videos of man-powered flight recently?   what they do they  call a  flight too.....

The ION drive uses none of the rapidly diminishing power sources currently available on this planet, and has the potential to be a provider of power without limit

Surely that's worth one "Well done" even if it is grudging.......no?

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Skip

Pete, I'm not sure the maker of the ION drive will notice if we type "well done" into a small and obscure (global scale) forum that has nothing to do with alternative power trains of any type.

They also won't notice if people on here question the legitimacy of their claim of sustained flight.

Well done tho Ken in trying to find alternative ways to move us around that will hopefully reduce our destructive impact on the planet. I'd like to see it progress and have more effect as Tony is trying to highlight. Getting "something from nothing without putting anything in" is very much a pipe dream, or the mantra of a 'dole bludger'. 😁

I wonder if there is a way of adding a small amount of power to increase the output to something more noticeable?

I've seen that someone has designed a plant to create diesel from tyres. They deserve a congrats. They are based in British Columbia.

The Chinese army are planting billions of trees to combat the ever increasing contribution of CO2 to the atmosphere. Well done to the Chinese for actively combating the destruction of our planet.

Councils are forcing us to recycle at long last. Even that must deserve at least a grudging well done.

Just adding to the discussion 😎

Skip

Here's the vid if you don't want to search for it

pete beadle

Hi Skip

Good stuff, I agree with you

Especially with the comment that the "Well done" I was hoping to see, wouldn't make the slightest difference to Ken Barrett and his team

However, I WAS expecting a few "likes" in response, not the comments I got.......... oddly, times like this always remind me of that newspaper called "Good News" that failed because it didn't publish the "shock, horror" bad news that people preferred......:yes::cry: 

Thanks for providing the shortcut to the vid, I appreciate it, I just haven't got the hang of how to do that yet.......40 plus years and still learning how to do stuff on my computer......ah well!:)

Thanks and regards

Pete

BARCS1702

• Thanks 1

Jef Ott
9 hours ago, pete beadle said:

Gentlemen

I'm surprised by your disparaging comments....

Pete

My comment was not disparaging - I was pointing out that the Ion drive was extending the glide path by a factor of 6. Fairly impressive for such a draggy structure.

This is what I was trying to say -
Without the power on, the launch and glide was just 10m.
With the power on, the launch and glide was 60m.

All the best,

Jef

• Like 1

Jef Ott

Must admit I was disappointed that they had installed the power plant under the wing, IMO it would have been better placed above the wing, from the drag point of view.

SilentPilot
20 minutes ago, Jef Ott said:

Must admit I was disappointed that they had installed the power plant under the wing, IMO it would have been better placed above the wing, from the drag point of view.

Na, you need fast air over an airfoil, slow air underneath!

I didn't realise that they tried a launch without power.
If they did and that was 10m and then another launch with power was 60m then that is indeed impressive. That would be indeed a great first flight of type.

Well Done :) 

• Like 1

pete beadle

Hi Skip

Quote "Councils are forcing us to recycle at long last. Even that must deserve at least a grudging well done"

A few weeks ago I received a letter from my local borough council, it asked me if I had any suggestions of how the council could improve recycling in the borough. I couldn't resist replying, I asked them why my local recycling centre had reduced  the days it was open for business from six days a week to four earlier this year. 

So far to date I have not received a response.........no "Well done" here!:no:

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Skip

All current business models in the public sector demand higher output at reduced cost. I imagine that is the recycling centre complying with the council's demands. 

The hospital I work in has reduced its bed numbers and staff numbers since its inception in 1988. The poulation it serves has more than tripled (trebled in ye old english).

Our councils have implemented fines for more than 2 black bags of general waste per fortnight. It's amazing how little landfill waste goes out per fortnight now!

pete beadle

Hi Skip

Quote - "All current business models in the public sector demand higher output at reduced cost. I imagine that is the recycling centre complying with the council's demands."

Perfectly correct the COUNCIL'S demands not the council tax payers requests........hey ho!

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702 

Jef Ott
2 hours ago, SilentPilot said:

Na, you need fast air over an airfoil, slow air underneath!

I didn't realise that they tried a launch without power.
If they did and that was 10m and then another launch with power was 60m then that is indeed impressive. That would be indeed a great first flight of type.

Well Done :) 

Yes, that's right.
The air through the Ion unit has to be flowing faster than the air on the other side of the wing.
That's why it would be better if the Ion unit were on the top.

• Like 1

SilentPilot

Good logic!

SilentPilot

But I guess if the 'motor' fails you risk turning into a brick!

Lloyd_d

I’d be surprised if the thrust produced is greater than the drag created to push the ion drive through the air.