streamer tape

sailor34

Can anyone suggest where I might source a lightweight tape to attach to poles to indicate wind shifts at the flying field, indicating the position of thermals.

7 hours ago, f3fman said:

Old cassette tapes - and if you don't have any then your local charity shop may well do 

works everytime ...i find michael buble ones the best 

• Like 3

Cassette tape is a murky brown colour and not easily visible. At the F3F World Championships, they used that red and white striped plastic tape that you see marking holes dug in the road. I imagine it is cheap, especially if you have a hole dug in the road near you.

That sort of tape is generally to heavy John .................and cassette tape shows up well against any sort of skyline .........works great at the end of my garden on a fishing pole 

• Like 1

Trust me, if you can get kevlar - in the style of carbon tows, it weighs nothing and floats superbly.

In the 1990's I was using uni-directional carbon, kevlar and superpolyethylene, layered at various angles, depending on stresses.

(What I was told was) Superpolyethylene was the best of all for on the end of your aerial.

No matter how nice I had got it, I took the finished wing to my supplier and he would look at it and say "The fibres are not straight, that is no good."

It seems that the fibres have to be dead straight to be "a propper job."    Look at your latest mouldie ??KevRni.thumb.JPG.c90b446b1a73c616a4d47f8072387b12.JPG

seeing as no one has replied here is my understanding. Not that I ever mastered thermal flying!!!

The tail of the tape shows a composite of the wind , and the thermal wind ie. that wind caused by the sucking in of air by the thermal.

If the thermal was to move  in from directly upwind from your flying site the tape would change from showing the ambient wind, lets say 5 kts, to showing the ambient wind AND the thermal suck, lets say  4kts. So you get 5-4kts. Therefore the wind would  drop from 5 down to 1Kt.   Once the thermal has passed the wind at the site will increase to 9kts as the suck will be in addition to the ambient wind.

If the thermal goes left or right of your site the tape will tell you in which direction you should be heading!

On 09/12/2018 at 10:09, pete beadle said:

Could it be time to tell everyone, especially beginners at the use of this tape, as to  how to read what the tape does, and how and why it will change direction and/or rise and fall?

Try here....

• Like 1