Electric Powered Full Size Gliders

EssexBOF

Can't see allowing the use of power, even electric, being popular...

Self launchers have been in competition for years now but I'm sure that any engine use after start means you are classed as 'landed out'.

Why should electric gliders be allowed to restart?

Tony 

Why shouldn't they be allowed to re-start, just a different set of rules, may attract pilots who aren't prepared to take so much risk of a 'land out'   :-)

You can restart to prevent landing out, it’s a common occurrence, the thing is if you start the engine you’re scored from that point as if you had landed right where you are.

It sounds like they are changing the rules to allow restarts to boost performance.

That might sound good but how do you keep it fair? Everyone has the same mAh battery and uses it as they see fit? I could see that leading to problems...

You have already suggested one viable solution !!  :-)

You can't always make rules to be totally fair, as long as most of the time the sport is fun for those participating  otherwise it will die.

• Like 1

Would have thought it could use the same as is used now on electric comps , that allow a restart, but the height/limiter records a zero score. In FAI F5j, no restart is allowed. The same technology, I would have thought available for full size.

The technology exists.

If you restart you don't get a 0 score you are scored up until you start. If you were a glider that place is where you would be classed as landing.

It works well enough. 

The thing is it looks like they are contemplating airborne restarts without a penalty. You could use e power as you see fit to enhance your performance. That's new to me!!!

Tony

I think you're missing the point here. Airborne restarts are not new. Restarting to avoid a landout is a pretty common occurrence.

btw, it's not as much of an advantage as you might think, restarting has to be done with a safety height margin (often a minimum is stated in the rules) this margin is usually around 1000'. A pure glider that is landing out can go quite a long way in that last 1000' and so may end up scoring more on distance travelled.

However, that's not what I've picked up on with these new e glider rules...

Being allowed to restart while at the same time carrying on in the competition is something entirely new!!!

Tony