12th F3K 14-day Duration Challenge 2018

tonym

Many thanks to cirrusRC for running the 14-day challenges.

The weather has made getting out for a fly almost impossible but hopefully we'll get a few days - maybe some over Christmas - for us to get out for some practice and post some times for the challenges and the Winter Postal too.

Despite saying I wouldn't be flying due to being worn out after slinging my Hawk Mini about I did go out for a short while. It seemed like a nice day until I got to the Lawford recreation ground where I found the breeze to be quite strong and bitingly cold. I put 40g of ballast in the XXLite and had a few flights and caught one bit of fast moving lift, so to get this last(?) challenge of the year going:

TonyM, F3K, XXLite, 2m22s, 12th December

757629386_Screenshotfrom2018-12-2910-58-50.png.c7c2aa957789c9140b314d5a325b1a90.png

This is a for fun challenge, anyone with a hand-launch glider that conforms to the F3K (up to 1.5m) or Mosquito (less than 1m) class can post a time.
Object: Fly your F3K or Mosquito class hand launch glider for as long as possible from a flat field, the person who's time is unbeaten for 14 days 'wins' and a new challenge starts.

Rules: Fly safely. No slope soaring.

Post your times as follows:-.
Pilot Name, F3K or Mosquito class, model name, length of flight minutes and seconds, plus date of flight. (Please do the posting within 48 hours of the flight)

Previous challenges since 2012 can be seen at f3k.uk and here at BARCS

• Like 1

I managed to get a very pleasant hours flying in at lunchtime in the watery sunshine, and after several two minute flights the red kites came to have a look, there was lots of weak lift to play with, I never got much above launch hight, but did manage a 4:48 before my battery died, no damage, just an undignified arrival thankfully. 

Simon B, F3K, 4:48.

The Rx shut down when I put the brakes on with the servo load, so I had no control for the landing is all, old, cold batteries don't last long it seems.... the 4:48 wasn't the last flight.

It seems good old NiCd batteries are still up there as the best for cold weather in gliders. NiMH are better in most respects but don’t like getting cold :( 

1s li-po here, 1200mAh, regularly does two hours or a days competition, should be good for four hours really, but it's always best to land before it is flat... has only managed an hour last two outings, I might just replace it while the model is still in one piece. 

• Like 1

@Paul Gleeson - lets hope for more flying days over the holiday

@Austin - I like to keep the top post updated with the times rather than have them sprinkled through the tread. I'm struggling to delete the 'old' image and insert a new one, the old ones keep coming back and won't die!! I had both old images in this post when entering Paul's time. I'd do the scores in a table rather than as an image cropped from LibreOffice Calc, is there a way to do that with HTML, BB Code or whatever? Or how can I get the editor to delete old images.

I'm using Firefox v64.0 (64bit) on Linux Mint 19, with Ghostery, Privacy Badger, uBlock Origin and NoScript (barcks.co.uk is trusted) add ons.
Thanks
Tony

Thanks for coming back so quickly Austin.

I'd assumed there ought to be something in that section of the screen but below is how the edit window was looking for me:

googletagmanager.com was blocked by both Ghostery and uBlock Origin (I'd let it through NoScript) that was what causing me not to see images in the 'Uploaded Images' section. Tagged as a tracker by all the privacy/ad blockers/etc. - b'stard FAANG want to know everything we do and everywhere we go 🙈🙉🙊 - Where's the fourth monkey!? Do no evil - covering his boll... 🙂

no_uploaded_images.png

I got out today for a very pleasant session with the Snipe at the local sports field.  I bumped into the latest owner of Richard Swindell's Sabotage (with Union Jack wingtip) who would like to do some competitions next year.  Most of the lift was enough to slow the descent but not gain height in.  Nevertheless, I had several flights over 4 mins and a best of 5.47.

Simon Jones, 5mins 47 secs, 27.12.18.

Nice one Simon.   I missed you then, as I nearly went to the usual 'local sports field' myself earlier - to continue initial trims of my GO Mini - but in the end flew in my usual field closer to home!

Jon

First time out flying since October,   my local field has been out of action and weather been dreadful.   Visiting family for xmas so flew in a local field.    The wind was gusting over 10mph so I was ballasted but there was a strange round glowing object in the sky I've not seen for a while!   Super mild for December!  

2nd flight got away from the launch to over 100 meters and disappeared rapidly downwind, came back for 5:57.    Last flight of the day,  launched just shy of 60 meters straight into lift and followed it a long way downwind, picking up a few nice bits on the way back.   Landed for a 7:20.   

log.PNG

It was really calm my way yesterday, hazy sun, so when I spotted a red kite out of my window I thought I'd have a chuck about, and, Like Simon J, found there was just enough lift to maintain launch height for a while, but after a few extended decents got hold of a little lift, spent ten mins carefully gaining about 30meters, lost it and was down for 14:49. It was quite a challenge to gain altitude, but not much sink either made it a very pleasant session.

F3K, 14:49 27/12/18 

Nice flights Simon and Cirrus.  Working very weak lift at this time of the year can be very satisfying and the lack of big sink is also welcome.  I was looking at the nice weather from work yesterday which was a bit frustrating!

• 3 weeks later...

Tony B - F3K - Nxt - 2:51 - 20th Jan

I'd like to start the 2019 F3K Duration Challenge.

Bright sunshine and calm at Melton.
Glad I was out early, as by the time I finished there was a complete, thick medium level,  cloud layer.
The 2mins 51 secs was at 10:50,  with the sun just disappearing.  After that the air went dead......

Tony

• Like 1

Well done Tony for starting things off.  I had planned to go out this afternoon and saw your time before I went so knew what the target was.  The sun was frustratingly behind cloud, whereas not too far to the North and East it was clear.  The air was not bad though with some very gentle lift.  Best flight after 20 mins was a 4.20 - all less than launch height.  Shortly afterwards I found a small packet of 'proper' lift and worked my way up to around 400ft.  Once I lost that it was a case of minimising sink and I finished with a 10.04 as the best flight of the day.  After that things got colder and deteriorated.  So:-

Simon Jones, F3K, 10mins 4 secs, 20.01.19