Gary B

New F5J model designs for 2019

Gary B
Posted (edited)

Happy New Year!

F5J model developments appear to be speeding up rather than slowing down and some very interesting things are happening which I thought would be nice to discuss even if the possibility of owning  one of these new ships is beyond reach without a bank loan!

A model I have been following for a few months is the Doroshenko Edge, there are very few weblinks and the manufacturer's web page doesn't seem to work.

It has a four piece wing and two piece fuselage and is designed to fit in a small case, the really interesting feature is the tailplane, it is both an all moving tail and a fixed tail with an elevator. All the tail servos (rudder/elevator/stab) are housed in the front of the rear boom, they appear to connect electrically to the front fuselage by some kind of automatic system.

One servo drives the tailplane, another drives the elevator.  I have no idea how the mixing works and exactly what the advantages of this arrangement would be. 

A new model from Aer-o-tec is the F5J Condor.

Very skinny fuselage but the main feature is wingleted tips, from full-size experience these have the best effect when thermalling at low airspeeds and high weights (water ballast).  The idea is to minimise   wingtip vortices  when lift induced drag is at its highest. These devices spawned a rush of owners cutting off the plain tips of their old gliders (ASW20, Discus, Cirrus etc) and having winglets made to fit. The benefit was mostly phycological!

Both of these gliders are very light (circa 1200-1300 g).

Explorer BF (Big Flaps), there is a lively RC Groups thread on this.

I usually buy a new model about this time of year but I'm hanging on in case what I buy is obsolete within a fortnight! There is also a lot of wisdom in flying and competing with just one model, I should learn to fly what I have properly first!!

Discuss

Cheers

Gary

Edited by Gary B
Reword
  • Like 2

wixy

Also new for 2019 will be the Virtigo F5J  from Polish manufacturing GCM 

light  around 1150-1200grm

heavy  around 1400 1550grm

These will be available through a joint partnership Graham Wicks /Neil Jones 

Further details can be found on my USA  friends site  Flight Comp 

G

• Like 2

mikef
2 hours ago, Gary B said:

.... but the main feature is wingleted tips, from full-size experience these have the best effect when thermalling at low airspeeds and high weights (water ballast).  The idea is to minimise or eliminate  wingtip vortices  when lift induced drag is at its highest.  ......

I think winglets are designed to try to get the wing-tip vortices as far apart spanwise as possible without increasing wingspan.  (Raises effective aspect ratio).  If you find a way of eliminating the vortices, you will eliminate all wing lift as well.

Gary B

Indeed, I've revised my wording.

I expect there will be a financial penalty for winglets (material and labour).

There seems to be a surge in smaller span (3 metres or less) designs on the continent that don't seem to have caught on over here.

GB

Steve Haley

Currently testing BF Explorer with new skinny fuselage.....to early to make any performance gain conclusions.

ex1.jpg

ex2.jpg

• Like 1

Gary B

Good stuff, I thought the old fuselage was skinny enough!

pete beadle

Hi Gary

Yes I agree, I don't think the competition world is ready for a "Skinny Binnie" just yet!:yes::).......boom, boom!

Happy New Year

Pete

BARCS1702

wixy

DFF953B5-C981-4D8B-AD82-0B488B98F749.jpeg

• Like 1

kevb

Proglide 2 flew this weekend. New slim fuselage, 3.55 span, 1400gms. First impressions is good with tight turns easy to do with good flat glide. More sorting flights needed to fine tune but good to get out and test. Photo to follow next time I get out.

• Like 1

Gary B

You guys are putting me to shame with your winter practise sessions!

Nick Jackson

And the Plus X - apparently developing and extending the Plus wing but with a conventional x-tail layout:

http://mahmoudi-modellsport.eu/plusx

7232060F-6295-4521-AF4D-1173560E2F5A.jpeg

Gary B

Took me a while to realise that this is the Vladimir's Plus with a normal fuselage and tail, the clue was in the name!

More info on Vlad's website, yours for a mere 2,000 Euros!

• Like 1

Gary B

Wish I hadn't seen that Plus X now, doh!

These new designs have mostly crazy low flying weights, my flying practise partner maintains that anything below 2 kg in the UK is too light because of the wind.

• Like 1

Richard Swindells

Its interesting how ex F3J guys, and F3K guys look at completely different models as potentials. 

I'm flying a vinco, building an ultima 2 and have my eye on a Volo.... all designed/built by F3K guys.  Most teams for this year seem to be a healthy mix of ex-F3J and K guys. 

Light weight is fine with a thin wing section. Thicker wing sections don't work with lighter weights.  I'm aiming for 1050- 1100 grams on my U2 :)

Steve Haley

That’s a bit of a sweeping statement about wing sections Mr Swindells, let’s hope there is no wind in Slovakia this year for your 1050 g U2 😊

Interestingly, Top three pilots in European champs were all flying F3J style models but clearly we are in the middle of development race with manufacturers all exploring new boundaries for our new emerging soaring class.

Volo looks an interesting model and performed well in Bulgaria last year and for sure, f3k style technology’s are influencing both model development and tactics used on the flight line in calm weather conditions.

However, for windy conditions, you still need a ‘big heavy one’ with lots of power!

Interesting times ahead......

• Like 1

thermaldoctor

Trnava is known to be windy...

Peter

If the weather is anything like it was for the Slovakian F3J World Champs a few years ago then the competitors will need models for all conditions.

It is light at about 5am at that time of year but the competition will not start until about 9am so there is plenty of time for the thermals to become active well before kick off and  the flying will stop long before dusk. All thermal soarers go up in lift regardless of whether it is calm or windy. Thin sections need certainly less ballast to penetrate but then lack momentum for accurate flying and landing in turbulence whereas the thicker wing, heavier ones are easier to fly so you gain on one hand and lose on another.

Around the mountains in Slovakia there can be some spectacular and very noisy thunderstorms.  After the storm has passed the air can be still and devoid of thermal activity which is when the super lightweight floaters will have the advantage.

Horses for courses, as they say, but regardless of model the pilot still has to read the air and fly in the right part of the sky so I doubt that buying the latest super expensive machinery will make much difference! 

(sorry Neil, do not want to turn customers away, you are selling excellent toys!)

• Like 1

wixy

Tranava air field site where the WC is being held is very different to Martin where Peter mentions

The site is a very very long flattish grass runway ,with hangar buildings and concrete to one side ,open fields to the other .

No mountains that I can remember close by .

But yes it can be windy and we had mini hurricane pass through on our last trip

From last year's experience in Bulgaria  I,d say you have got to have a model capable on launch to fly up wind as far as your eyesight allows

Carrying full ballast and with a liipo that will survive being cooked during a 30second full power run against a max wind speed.

Then if you find lift your model will have to be capable off returning  from the down wind leg ,which will be further that your eye sight 

Allows as the best pilots will have walked following there models down wind .

Difficult to explain here ,but EC and WC flying is a whole different ball game.

Benny Fiegl  reported using a 6s lipo in one off his Pikes ???

• Like 3