Model box

wixy

Eamond asked me for some photos off my model boxes 

I thought it would be better here than on the for sale  page 

The correx box was made by Colin Lucas  ,who made a number off boxes a few years ago .

They were made from one sheet and folded cardboard box fashion .Silicone and Gaffa taped together .They are an excellent box for 2 models .

The Polycarbonate box was copied from a design by our Dutch friends ,Kev Dart and myself bought enough material to make two Boxes 

and was cut to size by the supplier .Each box can take 5 models  .The fuselage sit at the top off the box ,wings underneath .

The Sides and bottom are simply Glued together with Ploycarbonate adhesive.Outside corners we used right angle plastic bq then gaffa taped over .

The poly box even survived a trip from Sofia airport to Dupnitsa strapped to the top off a rogue taxi drivers Ancient Merc  journey hour and half at 30mph 

no roof rack just  a lump off rope strung through the windows .

(some one forgot to collect me )

• Thanks 1

Third photo shows lid ,polycarbonate is cut to be tight fit to inside dimension .

Plastic right angle is cut to fit outside dimension and glued to top .

when lid is put in place the right angle plastic stops it falling in 

8mm square wood is inserted into the hollow poly and the lid is screwed in place then Gaffa taped.

• 2 weeks later...

Box built, unfortunately I neglected to take photos along the way, but it is relatively easy to build.

Cost around £100 in total, but I did need to buy some extra clamps.

Box dimensions are 1720 x 370 x 270mm  Weight is under 7kg and it has two polycarbonate struts that go across the wooden frame inside, to hang the fuse off.  They are routed 10mm deep into the frame, so when the lid is screwed in place, they cannot come out and they add extra lateral strength.

I probably over did it on the parts, incl wheels and side handles, but it is easy to move and strong.

Just waiting for some foam to arrive and it will be complete.  Also used an old model box polystyrene insert to make cut outs to stop wings etc from moving.

Regards

Eamon

FB611CD9-EDCC-431E-A234-43596FEF6F1B.thumb.jpeg.0be7212b817be9136cbe89fe01eb3999.jpeg

262617C5-A1AD-491A-9CF5-48D4A7BBECAE.thumb.jpeg.564bc3f5617c023fb58ab9f4c88d11c7.jpeg

37FDA021-4A2E-4191-A38D-1AB23C17D594.thumb.jpeg.2f9ab9bdbf47d91c33c6f2e632a43c5f.jpeg

36358019-5FDA-450F-82FF-01A7D5FA0F8C.thumb.jpeg.0bc559eb5ef0939e7e88f9f95c61b911.jpeg

• Like 3

• Committee Member

Looks good Eamon. How far will you be travelling?

(Just being nosey)😉

• Like 1

Going to Bulgaria in May for their national comp. 

really looking forward to it. And I believe there is still space if your interested 🙂

• Like 2

• Committee Member
2 hours ago, wixy said:

Not far Only 3 and a bit hours by plane .

Alright for you youngsters😊

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
isoaritfirst

Spent a happy few hours/days/ building a new correx box for the Shinto.

I've built many boxes from correx over the years and never made two the same.

Not particularly efficient I know, but this is a hobby and building boxes is fun if you are designing  and building in new ideas along the way.

Here's a few pics, together with comments.

Totally over the top productions presents........

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FWURv3xPGJ9WbBAt8

• Like 2