Scram

Full size L13 Blanik

Scram

I was in the loft the other day, putting away the Christmas decs  - as you do, when I came across some papers which I had not realised I had.

IMG_4185.thumb.JPG.3ddcb30e024b94f69db27630da5acdbd.JPG

My long departed Pere did some full size gliding back in the '70s and had at least part ownership of a couple of gliders and I found these manuals etc.

The Bocian Sailplane I think was the first one he had and as I remember he had a bad landing in it causing some damage and the plane may have been moved on.

Then he had part ownership of the L13 Blanik for which I have the Pilot's Notes which is 30 pages of details on how to fly the aircraft, details of instruments etc. and charts of Performance details.

The Technical Manual runs to 130 pages with full details of the aircraft construction, Technical Details and Instructions for Operation.

The L13 Logbook contains Delivery details, Air Worthiness certificates and records of operation - flight times and launches etc.  The last entry for in 1974 reads:

"June 16 - Low approach, hit tree with starboard tip and ground looped into cornfield - extensive damage."

I think another owner did that.

The Complete Flying Course is dated May 1941 and has the following hand written inside the front cover:
2592073. Sgt E.I. GARRATT
Glider Pilot Reg't
Army Air Corps

6, Nottingham Rd, Derby.

My father lived in Derby in the early '70's.

Just wondering what to do with these.

grj

Jerry

Might I suggest you contact the Glider Heritage Centre at Lasham. Sure they could be interested in  preserving these documents .   enquiries@glidingheritage.org.uk 

http://www.glidingheritage.org.uk/

Gary B

There is also the Vintage Glider Club and the British Gliding Association.

I soloed on aerotow using an L13 Blanik. I think they had wing spar fatigue life problems later and most, if not all, were retired in the UK. I think Red Bull still use one for various flying stunts,

Later I flew the L23 Super Blanik which was a T tail, flapless variant that had a castoring tailwheel for better ground handling.

Happy days!

Scram

Thanks both.  I did think of the BGA as there is reference to its registration there but I will consider the others too.

I did not want to just dump it all in the bin.

SilentPilot

I have a part share in an L-23. Really wish it had the Fowler Flaps :(

I filled in the questionnaire regarding the L-23 NG. Told them it needs flaps!!!

paulj

I learnt to fly in the Super Blanik at Denbigh Gliding Club, then soloed in their K7. Many happy hours in the latter, and the club K8!