Come and try DLG Easter Weekend Sat Sun 20-21 APR

mikef

NOW FIXED FOR SAT SUN 20-21 APRIL

The Easter weekend is available at BMFA Buckminster and we are running another 'Come and Try' event.

I need your help/input.  I would like to take a seat a little further back this time so I'm looking for some fresh ideas and someone to take/share the lead for the event.  We have four days to chose from and we need to decide which two to use.  Sat/Sun gives the best road conditions and permits Friday arrivals and Sunday departures for people with a long journey to make,  (But it cuts the four day holiday in two if folks have family events to cater for.)  I would vote for Sat/Sun - what do you think?

If you are thinking of taking part, what would you like to see?  I'll have my set of presentations on different topics that I have used before - but if you've seen them....

We have a possible topic in the 'Next level - launch technique' thread on the Forum here.

We have had an offer of a 'build a model over the weekend' exercise - does that interest you (if that is still available).

It's your event - what else would you like to see/hear/do?

I'm sure 'The Experts' will give their hints and tips and answer questions - but let's give then some clues on what details to prepare,

I think Richard/Neil had some ideas in the "The Next Level... Launch Technique?" to talk about the mechanics of a launch. Maybe Mike S can give us some insights of the learning process while changing to left handed launching.

While there is a lot of attention given to the launch, it's important to give you time to learn the other key skill of staying up. I think this might be a reason why many pilots are reluctant to come to a competition, because their launch is not good enough.

Somehow we need to break this. Maybe have a novice class (still flown in the main competition) the scores are compared to other novices not the top guys. I only got 40% in may first comp, but the scoring is really harsh (zero points for a land out), and 40% can be a reasonable first time performance if you have a couple to experienced pilots in your rounds. Maybe have round exclusively for novices? I know I was really please when I got my first 1000.

Another skill we can focus on, even if the weather is not great is landing close to you, and on time. You can launch to any height for this.

If people are happy to let an expert launch their glider, then this can provide time to learn the other skills.

Build a model would also be a great session, especially if the weather is not so good. There are decisions that need to be made earlier in the build, like what battery you will use, and what servos which can be difficult to know at the start. A convenient layout might mean a lot of nose weight is required. Setting the CofG is maybe something first time builds may not know how to do accurately. Also, what to look for in the first maiden flights.

I'm sure Neil will have all the bits to show the range of servos, batteries, glues, chargers etc. that are needed.

And of course the radio programming. Some people may not have a radio that cannot cover all the functions / flight modes we normally used. But with a little thought I even got my DX6i to give me 2 flight modes and brakes. Setting "cruise" mode to be acceptable for a launch.

In summary

Build, test fly, launching, landing, staying up. Enjoying the sport, with some encouragement to come to the comps.

Just some ideas...

Paul

I'll be attending, if not the whole weekend then certainly the Sunday.

Much help was given on launching in the 'Next Level' thread, and it would be useful to consolidate this on the ground.

But also thinking about the other skills that newbies would need help with and practice on the day:

• understanding air conditions before launching - learning to read and feel ground signs, directions and  frequency of thermals, etc;
  • search-patterns, recognising lift and maintaining efficient flight within it (similarly recognising sink and getting out of it);
  • light-touch flying so that you don't confuse the DLG response  to lift/sink with heavy-handed controlling;
  • setting up the DLG to be kindly for the newbie to fly (even at the expense of pure expert perfection)?

These are the things I'm personally not very good at.

Jon

I can’t let Mr H down so I’ll see you boys at Buckminster.

For me, its just having someone to fly my plane to see what they think of my setup. Some practice tasks would be nice with others cause I’ve always flown dlg alone so gotta get used to having other people around. And then some ground signs work and reading the air before throwing and knowing where to head to after launch. 

• Like 1

Would one of the recent new comers like to do a presentation on their  experiences to date.  Covering the run up to, and there first comp.  

Title idea

A beginners guide to competition flying by a beginner.

Thanks guys - good to see some new ideas being put forward.

It would be good to have some offers of help from the experts - please let me know if you plan to attend.  PM if you like...

This is now fixed as Saturday/Sunday April 20/21.  It's the Easter Weekend.

Watch this thread for more details.

It would be good to have some idea of who's coming so please post here or PM if you are.  All welcome especially experts to coach the newer DLGers.

Neil Harrison

I am delighted to announce that my good friend and the current F3K World Champion, Vincent Merljin will be attending the 'come try it event this Easter Bank Holiday weekend.

Vincent will be assisting with the 'new comers' talks, instruction and demonstrations, but he will also be putting together  some classes together for the advanced and competition level pilots.  For sure, this weekend will be aimed at all flying levels an abilities so we are hoping for a great turnout, we hope that everyone will go away having learned a great deal, made new friends and had a good time.

If you have a DLG model then this event is not to be missed!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Neil Harrison said:

I am delighted to announce that my good friend and the current F3K World Champion, Vincent Merljin will be attending the 'come try it event this Easter Bank Holiday weekend.

Vincent will be assisting with the 'new comers' talks, instruction and demonstrations, but he will also be putting together  some classes together for the advanced and competition level pilots.  For sure, this weekend will be aimed at all flying levels an abilities so we are hoping for a great turnout, we hope that everyone will go away having learned a great deal, made new friends and had a good time.

If you have a DLG model then this event is not to be missed!

Wow indeed, nice work Harry.  

• 3 weeks later...

As a novice this event looks to be deal and I’m “hoping” to make it on the Saturday. I did look at DLG’s sometime ago but didn’t progress any further other than looking at numerous videos on YouTube as well as reading the posts on this forum.

Really hope to make this as I have a couple of DLG,s and love having ago

I am part disabled and struggle with the launch side of things with my back so I hope to get ideas on how to get the best out of wat I can do

and be good if could get my glider checked out as to set up and so on

only down side is I will probably be the only mode 1 flyer there lol

shows my age dam it,but love having ago anyway

hope to be there for 1 of the days so an idea on which to try to get to would be fab

Thanks Simon

John Minchell

Hoping to get there too - and like Simon, from the Shrewsbury area too.

Got a dogy back and trapped nerves in my neck as well, so need to get the launch part right or suffer for weeks.

Just bought a neck brace which takes the weight of your head when looking up, so hope that will help. https://www.cleaningspot.co.uk/acatalog/Necprotech-neck-Support-Brace-NECK.html

Built an Akcent 2 last year but not maidened it yet.

Cheers John M

17 hours ago, John Minchell said:

Hoping to get there too - and like Simon, from the Shrewsbury area too.

Got a dogy back and trapped nerves in my neck as well, so need to get the launch part right or suffer for weeks.

Just bought a neck brace which takes the weight of your head when looking up, so hope that will help. https://www.cleaningspot.co.uk/acatalog/Necprotech-neck-Support-Brace-NECK.html

Built an Akcent 2 last year but not maidened it yet.

Cheers John M

Excellent! See you there John (and the week after ;) )

4 minutes ago, John Minchell said:

Shh Monz - we might get frowned upon here for mentioning Scale , Indoor and Nats on a DLG forum!

Not at all, we are an inclusive bunch! 😁

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm planning to come to the DLG workshop over the Easter weekend. Currently I'm awaiting delivery of an Auris from Neil Harrison at Superfly - thanks for the help in choosing a suitable model to replace my Blaster 3. Also to MikeF for his advice.

I think the suggested content meets my objectives, particularly improving launch technique, setting up launch settings, and thermal hunting. Very much looking forward to meeting the experts!