Jump to content
isoaritfirst

Tailplane repair

Recommended Posts

isoaritfirst

After Sunday’s comp at Whitesheet my Shinto has a creased top ski. and slight le crack in the tailplane. 

Bottom skin and te all seem fine. Tailplane still feels strong and possibly in no need of repair. 

But anyway here goes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
isoaritfirst

427A481A-6ADE-4447-B254-9593BCC05591.thumb.jpeg.db70d94c93bd53b874a9a828cfa6d6d8.jpeg

top skin crease and slight delamination of skin around the fold. 

6722A360-C5A7-4D2D-A053-5C01FE428B8F.thumb.jpeg.964370688b7fd9978219fa4b56001878.jpeg

Two holes made into crease. One each side of the spar area 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
isoaritfirst

Cyano drizzled through holes and skin help into place by flexing tailplane towards bottom skin 

EA6FFA99-D911-4753-AF27-F6EAFAF7E6F9.thumb.jpeg.185cbd67c816068e0b6457f420b23038.jpeg

after cyano was dry , fed carbon toed through each hole , fed in dry and allowed to separate as much as possible. 

Cyano drizzled into carbon tows. 

C880228D-82D9-47F2-A2C8-6A4331AFCA28.thumb.jpeg.dfb8507ce712e23fc04c03c9d20755d0.jpeg

8D65C04F-66F1-4BE2-AA7A-3C3DE64DDFE3.thumb.jpeg.e9c5ea1e1de77a8581a3b0e7154b7b40.jpeg

cleaned off when dry

9651CCE3-D5AE-4316-96A5-DB175C10EF85.thumb.jpeg.2bdc732e4c31ada3085a4822051afc16.jpeg

sanded back and filled. 

 

All hardly worth it , but should result in a light and strong repair ready for the next BIg day. 

 

 

51D6B692-58D9-4C43-9921-1A1CFA78BC98.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
isoaritfirst

Next sand and paint. 

Could have a black bit. Match the wing pattern  if the yellow doesn’t match well enough. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Maria Freeman

What filler do you use  Mike ? Just normal car body stuff ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
isoaritfirst

image.thumb.jpg.740f3062085fc83139e7ffb3ba0e25e1.jpg

 

all looks promising this morning. Carbon web inside the tailplane should stop the surfaces deforming and subsequently stop the tailplane creasing  again along the same line. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
isoaritfirst

82EBE5FC-B05F-4FB6-AC02-FF7A3835F8E2.thumb.jpeg.021906883a86f7d57f46b7e31891a85a.jpeg

Happy with the repair. Technique seems to have worked well

Needs some primer. I did try with just yellow as I had some, but I’ll have to get some primer to stop the black bits showing through. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oipigface

Nice job, Mike! I’ve got a box full of creased tailplanes, which I am now inspired to take out and work on.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
isoaritfirst

5A2E6784-6E4F-467D-9526-629A3748FBEB.thumb.jpeg.a55a2ba40c25084c6feb35972a329d11.jpeg

Repair has worked out great. If I was better at painting it could be like new. 

But, I’m not . Waiting for a bit more cutting back. 

As normal I will probably end up painting and cutting and painting and cutting until I resolve to allowing it be what it will be. 

Although I am chuffed with the repair. Strong, light and good as new. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kyri

I got a look at this yesterday - it is very impressive, and without knowing what had happened it is invisible. I wish I had taken a picture of it, the rain droplets and natural light made it easy to see that there are no witness marks, and the filling, sanding and polishing job is amazing!

This technique could be useful for lighter composite tails too I imagine. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kyri

 

 

shinto launch greg mike yellow tail.JPG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
isoaritfirst

Thanks Kyri. As I mentioned yesterday the first time I did this type of fix when I had a tailplane that had a damaged Le At its tip and also had a crack in the rear of the tailplane also at the tip end at the point where the elevator had been cut out, 

the material is so thin there and so vulnerable that it’s very prone to breaking. 

Poking dry carbon strands through the broken le to the break point in the rear edge made that very strong and was an invisible repair, as the damage was a hairline crack, but left it would have soon broken off. 

Further dry strands were allowed to gather together as the came closer to the le. Once zapped and dry they gave a good backstop for adding more and building up the le. 

The newly formed le was Made a little larger than needed then sanded to form. 

Whole job took just a few minutes. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.