Pyrenees Cup

Baldyslapnut

Great area and great slopes Greg. 

I had hoped it would run in May like last year. Then I would have gone, sept won’t work for me. 

Thoughly recommend it. 

Mike,

Thank you.

Being a cyclist it is also a good place to go for some serious Col Climbing.

I entered this morning so hopefully I will get a place.

Hope to see you a week on Saturday.

Greg

I'm planning to go 👍

St. Ferriol is a really good slope. Challenging as only a rocky cliff edge can be! Like the wrecker, it takes a bit of bravery to stick it in the compression, something I am still working on...

Limoux is a nice little town too, that tends to be where people stay.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Baldyslapnut said:

Mike,

Thank you.

Being a cyclist it is also a good place to go for some serious Col Climbing.

I entered this morning so hopefully I will get a place.

Hope to see you a week on Saturday.

Greg

I did amend my reply but seems to have not been posted, to say take your bike. we cycled a lot around there last year it is a lovely area.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Well we’ve had the first round! I came last (45th) partly because I took the poles marking the safety line for the ends of the course, so each lap was 5 or 6 metres longer than it might have been. Second flight was better but was scrapped with all the rest of the second round because of light winds.

Tomorrow at Esceuillans is supposed to bring more promising conditions.

Full results are on F3Xvault. Reads like the outcome of a lottery. Peter is at 23rd, Mark at 26th and Stefan 42nd.

• Like 1

Good day today, with light conditions to start getting gradually stronger. Fastest times in low 30’s. I’ve managed to claw my way to 44th, which is more impressive than it might seem, because there are now 46 pilots.

Standings after 7 rounds: Me 44th, Mark 37th, Peter 25th, Stefan 11th. Top three are Lukas Gaubatz, Sebastien Lanes, Andreas Böhlen.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2nd October:

Good day today, with light conditions to start getting gradually stronger. Fastest times in low 30’s. I’ve managed to claw my way to 44th, which is more impressive than it might seem, because there are now 46 pilots.

Standings after 7 rounds: Me 44th, Mark 38th, Peter 25th, Stefan 11th.

3rd October:

All over now, one round flown at Laurac in similar conditions to Friday. 2nd round was scrapped after a few more than half the field had flown because the wind rapidly shifted from E to W. Could have tried DSing but no one did.

Final result: 1st Sebastian Lanes; 2nd Lukas Gaubatz; 3rd Radovan Plch; 14th Stefan; 23rd Peter; 30th Mark; 44th Me (manfully staving off hot competition from Georg Roth, but failing to catch Martin Ulrich)!

This was an interesting competition - not necessarily in a good way - with a very strong field and some challenging weather. Unfamiliar slopes (to me) added to the mix. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Laurac is a *****! It's official, they only fly there in light wind and it was pretty badly crossed too. I was quite happy with a 68 in round 1 as the times before and after were in the 70's but then the inevitable 'good air' started happening later in the round.

Day 2 was good on Escuillens, again quite variable, anything sub-40 I would say was thermal assisted. I didn't get any good air but was also frustrated with myself for not flying the right line. I knew what to do, I have practiced it, but I just coundn't bring myself to do it in the comp! You had to pull up high on the right hand side, so a wide half loop and if you did, there was a bit of something to work with up high and you could pull. I think its due to the trees on the RHS creating tubulance. I was flying last in the round so after we were finished got some practice in and had the line within about 4 or 5 legs 🙄 Must remember next time!

Last day was a lottery again on Laurac, I did OK with what I got.

Once again a great trip, Limoux is a really lovely town and it was 24 and 26 degrees on the Friday / Saturday so F3F in shorts & t-shirts, which is always nice. Seb Lanes was awesome (winning with a 100 point penalty and DNF) and Lukas, Martin and Radvan flew really really well even in the less than good air, so it ended up a very representative podium.

Escuillens and St. Ferriol are really good slopes, very technical and a bit of prior experience / practice really pays off. Thats why I keep going back, one day I hope to 'crack it'!

• Like 1

Laurac is nasty.

I have flown there in a big wind as well, Couldn't open the car door wind. Still awful.

Looking forward to going back to the area one day, but hopefully Laurac slope wont be on the agenda.