1st 2019 2M Hi Start 14 day Duration Challenge

martynk

A placeholder for the 1st 2M Hi-Start 14 day duration Challenge for 2019

Please submit your score below. The clock will start when the first score is submitted.

This is a for fun challenge, anyone with a bungee-launched glider up to 2 metres wingspan and the standard Hi-Start can post a time.

Object: Fly your 2 metre glider for as long as possible from a flat field, the person who's time is unbeaten for 14 days 'wins' and a new challenge starts.

Rules: Launches must be made from the standard Challenge Hi-Start bungee. Flight times begin when line releases from the towhook and the model must land in the field for times to count. While the object is to encourage F3-RES types, any model up to 2 metre span may be flown (F3-RES, foam, full house aileron mouldie) but please state the type of model with your time.

The standard Hi-Start bungee is a maximum of 10m of 6/4mm surgical tubing and 50m of static line (minimum 30lb breaking strain). Lighter/smaller bungees may be used.

Fly safely! No slope soaring

John Minchell

Would like to have a go at these comps this year.

Now Martyn has very kindly lent me a correct bungee, I've been and bought a reel of 30lbf breaking strain monofilament line today, think I have an old parachute somewhere.

Will start the first comp with my old 1.5m Highlight HLG whilst I am installing spoilers onto an old Gentle Lady and doing the many repairs it needs before recovering it.

Then the plan is to build a much stronger RES model, but when that will happen is anyone's guess.

John M

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John, welcome to the challenge!

I had a few flights with the Slite this afternoon but it was rather late on (4pm-ish) and so mostly just cruising around at min sink and trying not to touch the controls. A few scratchy bubbles gave me some flights around 4 minutes.

Jon Whitmore, 4:18, Slite, 25/02/19

• Like 2

John Minchell

Thanks for the welcome Jon

I found a couple of old parachutes (needed washing so they went in with the overalls).

Got the mono line measured out and Martyn's old bungee silicone attached, found the old dog screw-in stake and put a 4 cell pack into the Hi light to set the CG.

So should be good to go when I find some time hopefully soon in this fab weather.

John M

Hi Jon

Will you log a score please so we can kick the challenge off. I have been out this morning and my best of 3 was 3:41.  Had to pack in when the power fliers turned up

We are off.

Please remember to submit a score even if its not a leader beater as it will generate points for your league position

image.png.5c481ae48aa62235695cd94d20a7629a.png

• 3 weeks later...

Oops.. Sorry about that, I appear to have lost a week somewhere.

Jon won this one, I have put a placeholder up for the 2nd Challenge and the league table will be up as well very shortly

Well done Jon

Martyn

• Like 1

SilentPilot

No worries!

My Radian had been replaced in the car by my DLG but the wind has been far too strong for that to get trimmed out. I’ll put it back in! Hope to join in the fun again :) 

• Thanks 1