Royski

Graecalis 3m

Royski

I have just acquired a carbon Graecalis 3m  and looking for a few build tips.

I have a few mouldies and I’m reasonably confident in my build abilities however there are a few bits I would like a few tips on.

1) The control surfaces don’t have any wipers, what would be the best options for retro fitting wipers, I have used tape previously and wondered if there are other options.

2) The wing joiner is a 14mm steel rod, now this does not look like it wil easily bend in the advent of a coming together with the ground,  would a carbon joiner be preferable?

3) Some tips on a closed loop rudder system would be appreciated 

4)The build instructions I have don’t include control throws (quite surprised by this), I have looked on the website and could not see any recommendations for throws, has anyone built a 3m Graecalis  what throws did you use?

Any hits tips would be greatly appreciated 

Roy

Woodstock

The steel rods that X-models/Glider it use is actually a pretty good idea, as it will act as a "fuse / weakest spot" in event of a bad arrival, and will bend before ripping out the joiner boxes in the wings and/or fuz. Not difficult to re-straighten either (I've done it many times).

Throws: use TLAR (That Looks About Right), then tune to taste with flight.  How far off could you be?

Tape wipers are fine if you want them. Some of their models have top-hinged flaps (annoyingly), and to get decent "down" flap travel it's necessary to cut the trailing edge of the wings back a bit.  Tape wipers become rather necessary to cover the resulting gap. At least that work is on the underside of the wings..

satinet

Are you worried the steel joiner is too strong or not strong enough? 

http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showthread.php/609303-Graecalis-3-0-Baubericht?p=4493241&viewfull=1#post4493241

^Thread on rc-network.  As it's rc-network no doubt 50% of the posts are about the weight of the individual components and the electric drive (!!), but I'm sure there is some good info to be gleaned from the pictures and from google translate. 

This video here has a section on how wipers are added to moulded planes, but I have no idea if it's appropriate to this model (surface travel etc)

http://smsagliding.weebly.com/cut-ailerons-or-flaps-into-moulded-wing.html

Royski

Thanks for the info/links.

Looking forward to getting. The Graecalis in the sir, it is a big old bird compared to my other 3m models, could be a nervous first flight

Roy

wookman

You will be fine.

It will make a nice change from emaciated F3x aeroplanes!

Take it out to Rhossili and fly it like you stole it.

• Haha 1

SilentPilot
1 hour ago, Royski said:

Thanks for the info/links.

Looking forward to getting. The Graecalis in the sir, it is a big old bird compared to my other 3m models, could be a nervous first flight

Roy

I'll maiden it for you :D

can't be that different to the Swift!!!

Tony 

Royski

Cheers Tony, should be ok with maiden, might need a hand with the launch though 😀

• Like 1