EssexBOF

EC3 Connectors

EssexBOF

I have for some time now, used EC3 Connectors to connect the Li Po to the airborne system. Having used  the smaller half to the LiPo, which then fits into the larger half, I ordered some more Male only half's , as more of these are used than the larger what  I would refer to as Female.

First batch turned up, but being the larger type, assumed that I may have ordered the wrong ones, so ordered some more of the Male type as stated in the description of the item. Yet another parcel turned up of the Larger Female halves again.

Contacted the seller, who said it was correct description, as given in the spec of  EC3 Connectors. He did refund my money however. Found another supplier of Female halves only, so ordered these, which have now been delivered and are the smaller type as required.

Now call me old fashioned, but has the new generation reversed the definition of Male V Female😎😎

Steve J

The confusion comes because the EC3 battery connector has a female 3.5 bullet in a male plastic housing. 

Steve 

Brett82

Im a Product Manager for RS Components and for my sins in a previous life I have the joy of looking after Electronic Connectors.... the joy.... :wacko:

I actually get this enquiry about once a week. Its a pain to explain but I will give it a shot. Now bear in mind there are some far left wing extremest manufacturers who refuse to conform to what society classes as normal because it doesn't fit in with their wacky-backy, hippy ideologies, so there will be exceptions to this. 

What Steve says is correct. When the housing is sold with contacts the gender of the overall connector is described based on the contacts. Generally (and this is where it can have certain manufacturers messing the whole thing up) a male housing will have female contacts and vise versa.  If you buy the housing on its own (so not what is classed as a complete connector) then the housing will have its gender listed.

So looking at the image of the battery below, the housing might be the smaller male but the contacts (terminals) are female so that is described as a female connector. 

image.png.39a607760246fce1bc9e23fc0fbc52f7.png

As such you need to purchase the larger female housing with male contacts which would be described as the male connector (see below).

image.png.6c9c54e997ae367b49c991b8ffb5b5ac.png

• Confused 1

mikef

The way I remember it...   It's the actual conductor that you need to look at if you want to determine its gender - not the housing.

• Like 1

Brett82
3 minutes ago, mikef said:

The way I remember it...   It's the actual conductor that you need to look at if you want to determine its gender - not the housing.

Much simpler way of saying what I said... :D

I always over explain things... Thanks Mike :thumbsup:

EssexBOF

I have never used two of the same type of terminals , in each half of the plastic outer, tending to follow how I wired them up before using this type of connector.

Still find it odd that the Female plastic outer has Male connectors and vice versa for the Male plastic outer.

Still problem solved as I have 50 of the right type (Female), that should see me out😉

• Like 2

Brett82
1 hour ago, EssexBOF said:

I have never used two of the same type of terminals , in each half of the plastic outer,

I hope that's not what you took from my reply...?

Male contacts in one plastic housing, female in the other.

Jef Ott

What Brian was saying was, he has always used the standard practice of a male on one battery terminal and a female on the other, to provide polarity differentiation. 

• Thanks 1

Brett82

Oh, I see... I completely miss understood, my bad.

EssexBOF
11 hours ago, Jef Ott said:

What Brian was saying was, he has always used the standard practice of a male on one battery terminal and a female on the other, to provide polarity differentiation. 

Thanks for explaining as to what I meant,Jef. I thought I had described as to how I wired them up, but obviously that was not the case.

I still cannot see as to why they are described , by he orientation of the terminals, which are interchangeable, fitting in either half, rather than the plastic casings that Male & Female

mikef

Is it really possible to assemble male or female conductors into either housing?

Steve J
13 hours ago, Jef Ott said:

he has always used the standard practice of a male on one battery terminal and a female on the other, to provide polarity differentiation. 

Putting a male and a female bullet into an EC3 connector is not standard practice. 

Steve

SilentPilot

It seems to me like electronic components are sexed according to the actual conducting component, but for some reason RC model connections are sexed according to their insulated housing.

Much confusion follows! 

EssexBOF
5 hours ago, mikef said:

Is it really possible to assemble male or female conductors into either housing?

Yes it is Mike, been doing it for some time now. Precedes before I used these connectors, when we used a different brass connector on the + & - leads.

Quite why they cannot assign the Male connector to the Male plastic out and vice versa I find odd. 

Brett82

Its a crazy world we live in....

You can get genderless connectors but they dont offer polarity protection.

SilentPilot

a bit like real life 😜

• Haha 1

Woodstock

There is way too much assumption of genders in this thread.  BAN IT! 😜

• Haha 1

EssexBOF
On 01/03/2019 at 08:51, Woodstock said:

There is way too much assumption of genders in this thread.  BAN IT! 😜

Let us see now, the external spring contacts, on the brass connector, that projects forwards, in the smaller half of the plastic outer, engage in the sleeved brass connector within the larger half of the plastic outer. 😄

Gender orientation is easier IMHO

• Like 1

mikef

And the leg bone's connected to the knee bone....

• Haha 1