Sign in to follow this  
oipigface

Motor maintenance

oipigface

I am the proud owner of an e-Rotmilan, which was built for me by Tony Fu some years ago. I don’t fly it often, but I’m beginning to think that the motor probably needs some maintenance. I won’t know what motor it is until I can extract it from the fuselage, but I am so naive about motors that I don't even know how to do that! Any suggestions?

satinet

Has it got the reisenhaur gear box. I think I've got the sheet and spanner knocking about.

If so probably one of his leopard inrunners.

oipigface

I don’t know what it’s got! Can you give some advice on how to extract it from the fus? There’s a spinner and a prop on the front, so I can’t just pull it through.

MikeDaBike

Unbolt the propellors. This should give you access to small grub screws which bolt  the spinner to the drive shaft

Carefully ease the spinner off. You will then see 3 screws mounting the motor to the plate glued into your fuselage

Actually if I remember correctly, you can just undo one of these screws and apply new oil through it to the gearbox

Don't think there's much else you can do ?

Mike

• Like 1

MikeDaBike

If it's one of Tony's motors, it should look like the one here : 

http://sloperacer.blogspot.com/2012/

As I discovered, it's nigh on possible to obtain a motor of these dimensions with a 3.17 mm diameter drive shaft so if it is good and
one of these and you want to get rid of it, I'll will buy it as a spare for my eWillow1 anytime.

Fortunately Top Bloke  Neil from Flightech resurrected mine after my high speed tree interface. I'm sad to say my winter apathy
and hibernation has meant I still have to finish the repairs off

Despite the issues people had with Tony in the past, I was very fond of him and have tried getting in touch with him to no avail
simply to ask how he is doing.

Don't suppose anyone know what's happened to him after his bankruptcy ?

Please do not use this to revive all the issues you may have had with him. It's a simple plea wrt his health and whereabouts and nothing more 

Mike

• Like 1

MikeDaBike

Neil also has the spanners and oil to service the last time I check in with him btw

• Like 1

oipigface
3 hours ago, MikeDaBike said:

Despite the issues people had with Tony in the past, I was very fond of him and have tried getting in touch with him to no avail
simply to ask how he is doing.

Don't suppose anyone know what's happened to him after his bankruptcy ?

Please do not use this to revive all the issues you may have had with him. It's a simple plea wrt his health and whereabouts and nothing more 

I didn’t know he had been bankrupted, but I’m not very surprised. I think he is a great bloke but not to be trusted with money. He was very generous with time and advice, and I never had any issues with him, except on behalf of others. In fact, I once spent a whole week in his workshop learning how to fix aeroplanes the FuFix way. 

I think he needs a manager to harness his considerable skills and imagination.

Like you, I hope he and his family are flourishing somewhere.

I’ll follow your advice and start undoing the screws on Monday. Tomorrow, I’m going to watch ‘Once upon a time in the West’ in a proper cinema to celebrate its 50th anniversary. 

• Like 1

satinet

You can get to the gears inside the box iirc. Taking the motor out is pretty easy as outlined by Mike. Getting the spinner back on square again with two grub screws is another matter....

Tony isn't contactable on his old number. 

• Like 1

Kyri

I am looking forward to seeing what motor / spinner / gearbox etc is in this plane. Any pictures would be appreciated as I am intrigued about it.

Depending on the load on the gearbox and how much work it has done and how hot it has been, it may be fine - but an inspection won't do any harm and they are relatively easy to take apart. 

Having said that, watching your choice of film is definitely a better way to spend time than taking a motor apart!

• Like 1

oipigface

What a movie!

Refreshed by 3 hours in the company of Claudia Cardinale, Henry Fonda, Charles Bronson, Jason Robards et al. in Monument Valley, I slipped out to the shed for half an hour. (Charles Bronson’s eyes look extraordinary when they are magnified so they are about 20m apart!) Mike’s description was spot on: 

6C824963-CF60-4832-9973-88983EE640B1.thumb.jpeg.7d0329b421d0b072611f24bf94cb20cc.jpeg

Take the prop off, and grub screws appear:

A6959363-E372-4A43-B19E-1DEECEEA9BC4.thumb.jpeg.2394d6f24fe5540c0a01a1a42e932dba.jpeg

It took a bit of ‘easing’, but I got the spinner off eventually. (Ask me if I dropped one of the grub screws.)

410F7453-3375-41B6-8879-CDFBFD19250F.thumb.jpeg.746a7d9cab55418a6cd5239bf70b59bf.jpeg

And here are three bolts. I’ve removed one of them, and I take it that all I have to do is pour some oil into the hole? What kind of oil? 3-in-one, I’ve got, or Singer sewing machine oil. Or I have a large array of cooking oils.

Anyway, to answer your questions: the shaft is 6mm with a flat on one side only reducing it to 5.4. I’m reluctant to take the motor out unnecessarily to find out more about it. It works spectacularly, and I want to keep it that way!

Tomorrow is the 40th anniversary showing of Alien. Big screen = better.

Do you think that the belief that going again to see movies that you saw in your twenties, is a sign of advancing age?

• Like 1

satinet

Not sure the screw holes go through to the internal gears.

• Like 1

Kyri

You should use the right grease which can be purchased from the manufacturer, you can get it with a needle, check this out:

https://www.reisenauer.de/aid-1798-Reisenauer-PEGGYPepper-9-DROPS-Planetary-Transmission-Lube-5-ml.html

It appears that the holes go through. I didn't know that and may check on one of mine! There is a needle that can be bought with the grease syringe and a picture showing where it goes.

As for the spinner, it looks like a RFM spinner and the thing to consider is that the screw which tightens against the flat may have had blue loctite on it. The one on the opposing side does not need tightening as much, you can even remove it (if it is still there).

The only advantage of taking out the gearbox from the motor to inspect the gears is that you can completely clean everything then re-grease. However if it hasn't had much use and "feels" ok, it may not be necessary unless you are interested in seeing it all inside. Some of the right grease should be fine to give it an easier time for a reasonable time longer.

• Like 2

thermaldoctor

Newer gearboxes have a hollow shaft right the way through so you can inject grease. These are denoted by a  removeable T8 torx screw visible on the end of the main shaft. It looks like yours does not have that particularly if it dates back from Tony Fu days. But you can still access  the main gear chamber by any one of the 3 screw holes that bolt the gearbox to the motor mount. 

If used for a long time without a service and especially under higher power it is wise to check and lubricate the needle roller bearings as well which involves removal of the gearbox from the motor. 

Reisenauer products are the best there is in many people's opinion but lubrication and a service is still recommended from time to time.

Regards

Neil

• Like 1

oipigface

Since I am being careful not to create problems for myself, I’ve taken the motor out. It is made by Leopard Hobby with a Reisenauer gearbox. It seems to be well greasy, but it may be that all the grease that was inside is now on the outside. I’ll post some photos of the whole installation, when this iPad starts to work properly again.

oipigface

Photos. I ‘m going to get the necessary from Flightech and get this fully maintained!

P9059EAA5-E291-428C-A231-090C1A0B29B1.thumb.jpeg.ae965306b414b7980f03a525dd659855.jpeg

1507150B-F27D-4B23-9FC1-06C5D41BDA58.thumb.jpeg.94f052188c01a8c8de58bd352cd904c2.jpeg

2A305A00-F879-4C91-A36F-DB2F650CFCD1.jpeg

satinet

Yeah the long leopard. Good motor. I hag about 1.2kw in my Extreme with 4s. 

oipigface

I just looked at the Reisenauer instructions (URL in Kyri’s post above), which I now know are the appropriate ones, and are very clear about when and how to lubricate the gearbox. Anyway, it can be done through the screw holes, as Neil pointed out, then it is not necessary to remove the motor from the bulkhead, but you do need the right equipment to squirt it in there.

29 minutes ago, satinet said:

Rotmilan goes like stink with this in!

MikeDaBike
1 hour ago, satinet said:

Tony built mine with 6s. Never run it for more than a few seconds at a time otherwise it will disappear !

oipigface

Mine’s 6s too.

Kyri

What is the prop size used with this setup?