Geoffers

400ft limit: CAP 1763 - Air Navigation Order 2018 and 2019

Geoffers

Hi - Am I interpreting the detail in these regs. correctly...?

Has the new amendment overridden the  BMFA member exemption for heights > 400ft?

Looks like soaring above 400ft is being severely limited by the amendment coming into force 13  March 2019

It appears to apply to all "small unmanned aircraft"  (SUA - not just drones), and in all areas, not just flight restriction zones (FRZ)

http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP1763 New UAS guidance Feb 2019.pdf

Anyone care to comment how this affects us?

Geoff

satinet

Yes is the short answer.

The word I've had from the bmfa (David Phipps) is that a new exemption will come in to place.

pete beadle

Hi Tom

Let's hope you, and DaveP are right!

Trouble is, before our very eyes, the current government are showing us all their capabilities at negotiation  by turning  up-cock into a disaster.....seemingly without really trying either!...... What's the old saying - be careful what you wish for?.........

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

• Like 1

Steve J

@Geoffers While the permission will doubtless be reissued to tweak the references to ANO articles 94A and 94B (the ones that AN(A)O 2019 is changing), I will be surprised if anything significant changes.

Steve

• Like 1

SilentPilot

"As such (unless you are operating within a Flight Restriction Zone) it remains business as usual and aircraft of less than 7Kg can continue to be operated above 400ft."

I guess I need to be looking up these Flight Restriction Zones...

satinet

Airports etc i guess

SilentPilot

Looks like Baildon is just outside the Leeds Bradford zone for now. 

I guess it’s only a matter of time before the restriction applies to all “Class D” airspace and not just ATZs.

Geoffers
4 hours ago, Steve J said:

Map here -

https://dronesafe.uk/restrictions/

Steve

PS Basically aerodromes with ATZs.

If you keep a google map (for instance) of your own flying sites, you can easily add the FRZ; RPZ areas

1. In the dronesafe map legend, click on the "..." menu symbol for the FRZ and select "download KML" (then do the same for the 2 RPZ areas) 
  2. Then in your google map editing page, select "Add Layer", and then "Import" for the files you've downloaded 
  3. That's it : Simplez

You should be able to see the results in my map >here< (hopefully it's a shared link, not just my account)

• Like 1

MikeDLG
38 minutes ago, Geoffers said:

You should be able to see the results in my map >here< (hopefully it's a shared link, not just my account)

Thanks for that, useful and informative!

Geoffers
1 hour ago, MikeDLG said:

Thanks for that, useful and informative!

😉 - if you wan't more "useful and informative" (slightly off topic) - one flier on our local slope has just introduced me to >"Windy"< as a general wind/weather current/forecast site and it looks excellent.

Even better: there is a "Windy" app. for the phone which I've just installed which is brilliant - super-imposing the animated current wind arrows on the actual map, plus loads of other weather related goodies 👍

Steve J

@Geoffers For general use (rather than just seeing where the new restrictions are) you are better off using the NATS Drone Assist (aka GuardianUTM) app as it shows all the airspace restrictions and warnings. 

https://dronesafetymap.com shows the same data if you don't want to use a smartphone/tablet app.

Steve

PeteMitchell
4 hours ago, Geoffers said:

if you wan't more "useful and informative" (slightly off topic) - one flier on our local slope has just introduced me to >"Windy"< as a general wind/weather current/forecast site and it looks excellent

I think the link on our front page is the same one you mentioned

https://www.barcs.co.uk/wind-and-weather-forecast/

Geoffers
1 hour ago, PeteMitchell said:

I think the link on our front page is the same one you mentioned

Doh🤦‍♂️ ... thanks, I hadn't spotted that: confirms that you've selected some excellent forecasting tools for the site 👍

• Like 1