Alan Rhodes

Repair of glass wings -help please

Alan Rhodes

Hi, I am new to BARCS but this forum was suggested by a friend as a possible source of help or information. I have crashed and significantly damaged my 2.5m glass Mach 2 slope soarer wings. Hopefully I can attach pictures. Does anyone know of or able to offer a repair service for these damaged wings please ?  I will have a go myself with the help of some Radio Carbon Art videos but if someone offers this service at a reasonable price then that is probably my better route.  Thank you. 

A011A653-4519-4D42-BC53-7065DD515D0A.jpeg

0155DC49-FDAB-4A41-8F24-9C47D00E1CB6.jpeg

115EFBCF-A7DB-4628-A977-622DD2D1E014.jpeg

CC79286D-A3E9-43D9-B0DE-B7B5EA777E43.jpeg

D83DFE35-544B-4ECB-9912-A019A85EB4E7.jpeg

15518D62-703E-47A1-9D2D-F713F7564772.jpeg

Austin

Ouch, nasty but can be reapired if there is no bad spar damage. The experts will be along shortly but welcome to the forums.

Brett82

Hi Allan 

Everyone will say it is best to do the repair yourself as it is the best way to learn and it's part of the hobby. 

I agree with that but I'm in the situation where I literally do not have anywhere to do repairs other than the kitchen counter. I'm sure you can understand how much my wife loves that...

People will post repair advice and if you have somewhere to do it then give it a shot. If not then look on Facebook for a guy named Tony Manzur. 

He posted something on one of the RC pages saying he could help with repairs. He has all the equipment needed and the time to help. He takes payments for materials and charitable contributions so isn't in it to make money.

His profile poc is of a field of poppies, the background pic is of a rc p51 mustang and he lives in London. If you can't find him let me know. 

Brett

satinet

Looks like a visit from the tree fairy.

There's two basic techniques.

1 - Cutting the damage out square and inserting (blue) foam which is then glassed over.

2 - moulding pieces of wing profile off other parts of the wing and attaching to squared off holes with glass (v sanded in to joints and glassed or put on to foam ribs).

There's a lot of damage and a lot of work. And you will need to buy quite a lot of stuff if you don't have it. 

Never mind painting it! 

• Like 1

oipigface
1 hour ago, satinet said:

2 - moulding pieces of wing profile off other parts of the wing and attaching to squared off holes with glass (v sanded in to joints and glassed or put on to foam ribs).

As far as this method is concerned, there is already a detailed description of how to do it on this forum. Where? I don’t remember. I’ll look for it now. It was my Pitbull which also hit a tree. About the same time Martin Newnham and Peter Gunning also posted things about wing repair. You can look for those!

oipigface
2 hours ago, oipigface said:

As far as this method is concerned, there is already a detailed description of how to do it on this forum. Where? I don’t remember. I’ll look for it now. It was my Pitbull which also hit a tree. About the same time Martin Newnham and Peter Gunning also posted things about wing repair. You can look for those!

I’ve looked for my pdf from 2015, and it appears no longer to be available here. It will still be on my PC, but I am unable to send anything from that over the internet at the moment, thanks to a suspected hacking incident. I’ll get this sorted asap.

paul w

Despite the horrific appearance, it's a pretty straight forward repair job.  I would go with

Tom's suggestion of trimming the damage, tack everything back into shape with CA, insert

blue foam (or similar) sand to shape and then glass. Sand, squeegee some resin over, sand again

and repeat as required. Try not to worry to much about  the painting at this stage, just hone 

your repair skills enough to get it flying.

Phil.Taylor

Hi Alan

Welcome to BARCS forums.

The good news - yes it's repairable - the spar looks ok.

The bad news - no - there isn't really a repair service - someone tried to make a go of it - did great repairs - but ended up going bust - it's  a long story...

So  - accept that you will be mending it yourself - and you will get a lot of help on here - and it won't be pristine - but they always fly better after repairs 😊

Phil.

Crash, repair, repeat...

• Like 1

isoaritfirst

Just have a go. I doubt you can make it worse.

try repairing the smallest break first. 

Quick and simple first go try putting all the pieces back with cyano. 

Treat it as a learning curve and don’t stress. If it’s tubbish, cut it out and try something different. 

Look through the f3f repair thread 

• Like 1

oipigface

Here's my previous post. I can't find the posts by Peter_G  and Martin_N, who had rather different ideas. This worked well for me, and I have used it a couple of times again. Last week, I decided to try painting it as part of a general upgrade (to HV) and refurb of the model that gave me my current F3F PB, even after I'd treated it so badly!

Wing repairs.pdf

• Like 2

Alan Rhodes

Thank you very much everyone. A great source of information, inspiration and support. Very much apreciated. I will report on progress but dont hold your breath. I dont have so much free time so progress will be slow.

isoaritfirst

Repair work like this is ideal for filling small gaps in your calendar. 

Seriously, think of it like a jig saw puzzle, pop in the workshop , stick a piece in then go and have tea..

Then repeat.. Lots of little jobs - I usually find this approach works well.

Enthusiasm builds as progress is made.

• Like 2

isoaritfirst

closer look at hose wings shows that they were built on a foam layer.

Cyano probably wont work, it may dissolve the foam.

Easiest may be to insert foam blocks and then sand to shape.

Scram

I see you live in Huddersfield so if someone suggests going to one Tony Fu - don't.  As said, I think he no longer offers this for various reasons but whatever, don't be tempted!

If you think this is off Austin, feel free to moderate.