Help needed for dlg build thread

Wayne young

Wayne young

Hi guys,

Just received my flipper dlg from hyper flight, I was wondering as I have never built a dlg before if there is a good built thread you guys have or could point me towards as I can’t seem to find one for my glider. I have also noticed the stabiliser in one picture is on top of the fuss but in another picture is under neath. What’s the best position please. Also I have noticed many  people put the elevator and rudder push rods on the outside of the fuss instead of inside like some threads suggest. In my option outside is better so I can support the rods as they go down the fuss. Am I correct in my opinion? Thanks for your help, I guess this will be the start of questions until I finish the build.  

Richard Swindells

Elevator on top

Torsion springs and string instead of pushrod. 

I'm sure someone will provide links (I'm on a train so difficult to provide more details) 

Check out http://olgol.com/  it is a treasure trove of build guides. 

I’m not familiar with the Flipper, but if it is a’normal’ DLG, you will find relevant build information there as most dlgs are put built in much the same way. 

SilentPilot

I built my first DLG last year. They’re not difficult, I built mine at work during my breaks.

The hardest thing I found was fitting the torsion springs. I couldn’t find any info on YouTube or Google about the actual spring placement and it looks like I got the elevator one wrong. It works but has a big visible bow in it which doesn’t look great and probably adds some drag.

The rudder though somehow  ended up ok!

String attachment to servo horns can be fiddly too but that also seems to be doing ok. There were a few adjustments needed after setup, probably due to the string stretching to size, but all is good now.

All character building stuff :D 

Paul Gleeson

Regarding attaching the pull strings to the servos.

I bring the string through the hole in the servo, loop it round and back through the same hole.

Then around the servo horn screw.

You can get a bit of adjustment to align the surfaces, before to finally tighten it with the screw.

Take a look at the left hand servo

DLG.jpg

Wayne young

Guys, I have installed the springs today into the elevator and rudder which went ok. For the string would the below attachment be ok?

88B26CDB-40AD-45FA-9B9B-37AA480FA0B1.png

Paul Gleeson

I use with beadalon wire. 19 strand either 0.30 or 0.38 diameter. And 1mm diameter crimps to secure the loops

I think you might have to pre-stretch that type of line. But I could be wrong.

Wayne young

Thanks Paul will grab some today. On another note torsion springs the ruddder was fine but on the elevator the spring tension is the wrong way. My elevator came with the holes already drilled and counter sunk so it can only fit one way I can’t turn it over. Have I done something wrong? I’m assuming the wire pulls the elevator back to centre.

Paul Gleeson

The rudder horn must be on the opposite side to the launch peg. This is vital for a straight launch.

Yes the wire pulls the elevator back to centre. Sounds like you need to reverse the spring on the elevator.

The end of the elevator spring should go into the elevator near the centre. The other end of the spring will be some way to the tip.

It that's not clear maybe post a couple of pictures

1 hour ago, Wayne young said:

Thanks Paul will grab some today. On another note torsion springs the ruddder was fine but on the elevator the spring tension is the wrong way. My elevator came with the holes already drilled and counter sunk so it can only fit one way I can’t turn it over. Have I done something wrong? I’m assuming the wire pulls the elevator back to centre.

Sounds like they expect you to install the elevator on the opposite side to what you are planning.  Just buy some more wire and bend a new spring. It’s quite easy.  

Or just flip the spring and fit on the other side of the tail. Use the same hole in the elevator -should be as close to the horn as you can - and just carefully push the wire into the other side of the tail to make a new hole. 

Paul Gleeson

On this DLG the tail is on the bottom.  I am right handed, so my peg is on the left wing tip, and my rudder horn on the right side.

The springs are show in red. They may however be on the other way round depending on which way they are bent.

Keep the centre end in the rudder or elevator.

tail1.jpg

tail2.jpg

Wayne young

Thanks Paul reveresed spring and works great. I didn’t know about the positioning though, I have mine central will this be a problem? Why is the spring over  to one side? Sorry about all the questions, I do appreciate your time answering me.

Paul Gleeson

The spring is over one side so that the part of the spring in the control surface is in the thickest part of the surface.

So less likely to push through the surface

If you have it centred its not a big deal

Actually, the spring is off set so that on the elevator the spring force is as close the control horn as possible to avoid the elevator twisting.  The tail has more meat, so can usually cope with the off set location.

Wayne young

Hi all,

I have finished the build and install hopefully it looks ok.My next question is the set up any idea on where to start on the control surfaces and flap  settings. Also I need a settings  for the launch.  Cheers

B5FD38D8-056C-42A8-B9E8-747EEEB87B9F.jpeg

93A7E072-AE84-4CE5-86DC-F7BCBF7F2002.jpeg