Sign in to follow this  
Nick Jackson

Multi 3 AMRT issue - now resolved.

Nick Jackson

I want to warn of what seems to be a significant error in  the RC-Electronics Multi 3 non-FAI firmware: it fails to record launch height for a relaunch.

This is a problem for any class which:

1.  Allows relaunch and
  2. Requires launch height to be recorded

Obviously it does not affect F5J (whether flown with FAI software or, for domestic comps, non-FAI with launch height at 300m) -  no relaunches.

It could affect pretty much any other thermal electric glider class - BARCS ELG, BARCS Multilaunch and Kent Interclub Glider and I guess in principle eSoaring.

As far as I can see this is a simple error which should (like I know!) be easy to fix: I'm told Altis AMRTs record launch height for a relaunch. So does RC-Electronics' own Multi 2.  My guess is that the manufacturers have wrongly built in a feature intended for firmware for the F5J variant which allows an emergency  motor restart for a zero score (where recording no launch height makes perfect sense and will help guard against cheating). I've been pushing RC-Electronics for ages to do something about this, with some help from Bernie.  So far without success. Reaction has varied - sometimes I'm told in effect that I'm wrong / no-one else seems to have a problem /  these classes are minority activities which can't be catered for. Other times, the problem has been acknowledged and a fix has been promised. But none has yet emerged.

Could I invite anyone who might be affected to try this out in practice flying to confirm (or not) that there's an issue. Obvious work-around in competition for now is to disconnect and reconnect before re-launching but this wastes valuable time and risks errors.  Unless I'm imagining all this a proper fix needs new firmware.

I'd be very interested to hear about others' experiences please.

• Like 1

ceebee

Nick,

I have seen some people relaunch without appearing to reset the electronics before but have no idea how they are still getting a height reading. The whole idea of the firmware is to show no reading on AMRT following a motor restart to prevent cheating.

I have always had to disconnect the flight battery and then reconnect to obtain a height reading on all of my Altis'. One does have to remain calm and not rush to prevent any mistakes but it is perfectly possible to do so safely. If people are able to still get a reading following a motor restart then maybe this needs flagging up to the SFTC for investigation.

Colin

SilentPilot

You can setup some AMRT devices to record multiple ‘launches’ from one flight. It comes in useful for practise flights or comps where it may be allowed.

I believe they reset when you get below a certain height. It shows that you have started the motor again and records a new “F5J” height.

Tony

SilentPilot

Sorry Austin, duplicate post, I clicked on quote instead of edit! 

Nick Jackson
36 minutes ago, ceebee said:

I have always had to disconnect the flight battery and then reconnect to obtain a height reading on all of my Altis'

Colin,

Are you thinking of  F5J software ? No experience myself but I've been told by other Altis fliers that they do record height on relaunch when set up for non-FAI. As does the Multi 2.

• Like 1

SilentPilot

Altis does have the option of restart but you need to use the Flight Manager software to enable it. 

Buster46

Nick,

On the Altis, you can set this up for relaunch or for restart under 8m for practice, but this is only in the non-FAI firmware.  It is my understanding that the F5J comp  firmware does not allow motor restart and or relaunch when loaded and does require battery removal between flights. 

regards Eamon

screenshot.png

Nick Jackson
1 hour ago, Buster46 said:

It is my understanding that the F5J comp  firmware does not allow motor restart and or relaunch when loaded and does require battery removal between flights. 

Sure, absolutely. I am talking about non-FAI software used for other comps..

• Like 1

Buster46
3 minutes ago, Nick Jackson said:

Sure, absolutely. I am talking about non-FAI software used for other comps..

In that case Nick, as long as the emergency start and comp restart are checked and the model drops below the specified height, I think its 8m, it should register as a separate flight.

• Like 1

Nick Jackson
4 hours ago, Buster46 said:

In that case Nick, as long as the emergency start and comp restart are checked and the model drops below the specified height, I think its 8m, it should register as a separate flight. 

Right - that is why I think there is a fault in the firmware.

Buster46

I guess you are correct Nick, but I apologise I have no experience on the Multi 3.  I have only ever used the Altis systems.

Nick Jackson

Grateful to Bernie and to RC-Electronics who are now on the case. Hopefully a fix is imminent.

Update 21 March: Andrej from RC-Electrics has sent me a new RC_Multi_3_v205.bin firmware file to try out. Flew with it today and it does indeed record launch height on a re-launch  without having to disconnect. I understand the new firmware will be uploaded to the RC-Electrics site for download. Bernie rightly reminds of the potential dangers of models where the firmware leaves the motor live after landing. Many thanks to both for resolving the issue.

• Like 1