martynk

2nd 2019 2m Hi Start 14 day Duration Challenge

martynk

A placeholder for the 2nd 2M Hi-Start 14 day duration Challenge for 2019

Please submit your score below. The clock will start when the first score is submitted.

This is a for fun challenge, anyone with a bungee-launched glider up to 2 metres wingspan and the standard Hi-Start can post a time.

Object: Fly your 2 metre glider for as long as possible from a flat field, the person who's time is unbeaten for 14 days 'wins' and a new challenge starts.

Rules: Launches must be made from the standard Challenge Hi-Start bungee. Flight times begin when line releases from the towhook and the model must land in the field for times to count. While the object is to encourage F3-RES types, any model up to 2 metre span may be flown (F3-RES, foam, full house aileron mouldie) but please state the type of model with your time.

The standard Hi-Start bungee is a maximum of 10m of 6/4mm surgical tubing and 50m of static line (minimum 30lb breaking strain). Lighter/smaller bungees may be used.

Fly safely! No slope soaring

Whitmore

Weather looked good today but unfortunately it had fully clouded over by the time I got out. A little windy but I had some nice flights.

Jon Whitmore, 5:25, Slite, 19/03/19

• Like 1

martynk

Well done Jon. That's a good flight for mid March

image.png.6554af9170ec92b35b7be11096a7dc71.png

martynk

I managed to get out for an hour yesterday afternoon. Absolutely flat calm under a flat grey sky. I probably never got much more than 40m height from the bungee, sometimes a lot less.  I had about a dozen flight ranging from disastrous  with several in the 2-3 minute range and one good flight of 4:30. I am really kicking myself - I had a dreadful transition and lost a lot of the height that I had got from the launch with a big stall. The model eventually settled at 20m altitude and just drifted about 400m downwind, still remaining in the field . Quite a turbulent bubble with the model being kicked out every time it came around into wind direction and had to be pushed back in again for the next circuit. Still quite satisfying though. If I had managed to maintain height at launch, I think it would have been good for at least another minute, So - Jon still winning... :) 

image.png.ea8920cf070e57cc639398c97085c878.png

Whitmore

Nice work Martyn. I quite enjoy scratching around on those overcast light lift days but you need a light model. I flew my Frenzy 1m DLG yesterday. (It's not light 😶)

I'm tempted to build another Skidoo or a 2m version (Skidoo Too) but I have been pretty busy with Free Flight recently.

• Like 1

paulj

At least you guys are in the same country as your gliders...!! I'm back home next weekend, so expect rain and high winds :)

martynk

Jon won that one as well. :)  Well done Jon

New Challenge placeholder will be shortly created and league table updated.