Sign in to follow this  
Nigel Castle

Hi from a not so sunny Devon

Nigel Castle

Getting back into flying after a break of six years, previous member, and previous member of South Cotswold Soaring Association. From Dursley, Gloucestershire originally. 

Main areas of interest are slope flying and Electric flight with several interesting models to resurrect  from the loft, need to go through all my Lipo's to see if they have survived the six year storage lay up.

Won a comp (Coventry Open) back in the early eighties and got blown away at Radio Glide in Scotland in 1983?

Would like to try and find a WildFlecken from the Seventies if anyone knows  where one might be? I had contact with a guy back in 2010ish that had a kit but lost contact with him...…... 

Phil.Taylor

Hi Foggy - welcome to the BARCS forum !

Whereabouts in Devon are you? - I'm near Honiton, East Devon.

Good luck trying to find a Wildflecken - I had one a few years ago - sold it on & the next owner folded the wings & destroyed it on a winch launch. It was good in its day back in the 1970s, but there are plenty of better options these days.

Phil.

Nigel Castle

Hi Phil,

I am up near Torrington, the Wildflecken thing is pure nostalgia, nothing more, I am sure even my foam Alula would out fly one...……… and would not fold up as easily.

Nigel (Foggy)

pete beadle

Hi Foggy

Welcome to the BARCS forum

I don't want to raise your hopes too high but I recently passed on my 'Flecken to a colleague who was supposed to repair the one broken wingtip (there we go, wings again!) for me. I visited him yesterday as he's not too well at present, and he said it would probably be a good idea to try one of the other club members if I wanted the repair done this year(!)

Two possibilities, I have made a set of ribs to replace the broken ones on the 'Flecken so, all it needs is a bit of careful re-sheeting of about a foot length of the repaired wing to get it back to original condition - OR - to suggest you go for a Proton 140 or Hi-Phase as I did back in the day. Both are character-filled R/E/S iconic designs which don't suffer from the 'Flecken's admittedly accident prone wings.......:yes:

Please PM me if you might be interested in the Wildflecken or a Proton (I've got three, all used in competitions in the Open Midlands League back in the late 70's and 80's) and all superb soarers - representative of their time - as they say - so, the choice is yours!:)

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Nigel Castle

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the welcome, I also had a High Phase and a Proton 140 which I bought off a guy at the Radioglide event in Scotland back in '83 ish, it was a superb flyer (that's what I won the Coventry open with), mine had a Red Fuzz but met with a spectacular end on Selsley Common (Stroud/Nailsworth, Glos) one afternoon with a Radio Glitch that had it go into the ground vertically from about six hundred feet like a javelin, it had to be dug out...…good old 27Meg hey? Great on a high start and on the club winch and would float on for ever when it came to landing. 

I think you have one that's been converted to electric? I might be interested in that one if available, otherwise can you send pictures of the ones you have?

Nigel

pete beadle

Hi Nigel

I thought my electric Proton was a carefully kept secret(!) How did you know I'd got one?

Yes indeed, she's a beauty and yes, she is on the list of models I intend to sell later this year........due to a re-arrangement of the storage areas undertaken over the Xmas break, she's in the loft at present, so you'll have to bear with me for a while to get her down and take the pics.....I'll send them within the next 7-10 days OK?

At the moment I'm just finishing a Pike Superior I've built out of the wreckage of three(!) and that has priority, but that'll very probably (hopefully) be finished for the weekend. At the moment I'm having to sort out the X-tail tailplane which is causing a few cursing and throwing things fits....it's the type that has a bellcrank that falls into the base of the fin if you accidentally allow the carbon joiner/pivot to come out:frantics:Hey ho!

BTW I've just finished taking the pics for the first plane I'll be selling, an AVA 100",  and, as you can imagine that has even more priority at present, I thought times like this wouldn't happen when I retired but, as a lot of people have told me, when you retire the first thing you wonder about is how you had the time in the day to work!

I'll PM you as soon as I take the pics of the Proton

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Nigel Castle

Hi Pete,

what do you want for the AVA, again I was trying to buy a mini AVA a few years back, that would be very interesting???

Nigel

pete beadle

Hi Nigel

PM sent just now, please let me know what you think on a PM

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

wookman

Hi Pete.

're Pike Superior. Mine came with a nice little plastic rivet thingy that you push the tail joined out with. The rivet clips in to retain the bellcrank for storage and transport. Push it out with the sailplanes joiner when rigging the model.

pete beadle

Hi Wookman

Thanks for this, any chance you could take a pic of your "little plastic rivet thingy" for me? Perhaps I might be able to try Samba and see if  they still have them

I don't know whether you are aware but, after suffering a stroke a while back, I'm very one-handed these days.....just pushing the tailplane halves together is virtually impossible one-handed......I also noticed that the big carbon joiner has a mind of its own(!) sometimes the tailplane halves seem to jam on the joiner, sometimes the joiner just falls out as though it had been greased - weird I've got two tailplanes and three joiners, and if I try swapping the joiners around, sometimes they jam, sometimes they just fall out the other side, I think at least one of them has been sanded down in order to reduce the jamming:frantics:

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702