oipigface

Artificial Slope

oipigface

There’s not a lot to attract slope soarers to the BMFA National Centre at Buckminster. How about something like this, only better?

• Like 2

pete beadle

Hi OPF

Well found....BTW what is a Klapphang?

A while ago I saw a small feature on a few flyers using a grassed-over rubbish tip to slope soar.

My favourite local hill is, in fact, a large pile of rubble moved away and dumped there from the foundations of the Barnet General Hospital. Also grassed over it's VERY fit for purpose

I have several times sloped the reverse of the wall at the end of the golf driving range near Old Warden - it faces SW and this, of course, is the prevailing wind in the UK

Several South Coast flyers enjoy Groyne Soaring......groynes are the walls that face out to sea to try to reduce coastal erosion...that looks challenging!

Sites ARE there, it's just what the landowner(s) allow you to use them for......

BTW I once saw some of the the Soar Valley Soarers (John Stevens et al) slope soaring the edge of a raised bowling green near Nottingham while at a BARCS comp - may even have been Radioglide.......those were the days:yes::)

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

mikef
38 minutes ago, pete beadle said:

Well found....BTW what is a Klapphang?

Google gives, “hinged slope”.

“Hang”, means slope in German.  The German for slope gliding is, “Hanggleiten”.  This got translated as Hang Gliding but was nothing to do with the pilot, “hanging”, under the glider.

• Thanks 1

oipigface
53 minutes ago, pete beadle said:

flyers using a grassed-over rubbish tip to slope soar.

The main site they use for F3F competitions in Lisbon is exactly that. The local authority had a full landfill site conveniently sited on top of quite a large hill and they asked for bids for new uses for it. Local flyers suggested an F3F facility, and they now have it. It’s landscaped with a nice flat landing area, has a little picnic area, and car parking is about 60m from the centre.  

• Like 1

Lloyd_d

We have in the past 'sloped' off the side of industrial units on the weekends with smaller models trying not to get blown back over the roofs. The seagull's do it so why can't we

SilentPilot

Not sure I'm keen on the idea of Landscaping an ex landfill site 😳

wookman

they landscaped Torbay's tip and built houses on it!

Witch_1
12 hours ago, oipigface said:

There’s not a lot to attract slope soarers to the BMFA National Centre at Buckminster. How about something like this, only better? 

Better = option to configure as "bowl", and rotate towards wind direction, and naturally .... a 100m course !  There could be a 60" pylon nationals.

• Like 1

mtreble

Even better idea... move the BMFA National Centre to Bridgend??

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

oipigface
10 hours ago, Witch_1 said:

Better = option to configure as "bowl", and rotate towards wind direction, and naturally .... a 100m course !  There could be a 60" pylon nationals.

....you forgot the platform at the top, with steps.

GeoffN

If the BFMA centre  provides facilities for all fliers they should build a slope for us. Part of the center could be opened as a rubish tip that would provide valuable income and then when the tip is closed the council would have to landscape it.  A. new f3f site

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

oipigface

Very creative!

I had in mind something that would pack away when not in use, and which could be put together facing wherever the wind is coming from. I have sent the BMFA a link to this thread, but I’ve had no comment as yet. For foamie racing or combat, it could be probably be shorter than 100m, but would need to be longer than 80m.

Phil.Taylor

Plus a couple of big fans for those inevitable no-wind days 😁

1173124734_BigFan.thumb.jpg.94938f52ef2e334093975ad4485e791e.jpg

• Like 2

John T

Brushless motor and lipo John, no slope required....

• Like 1

satinet

No probs

thumb_P1070127_1024 (1).jpg

• Like 1

oipigface
9 hours ago, John T said:

Brushless motor and lipo John, no slope required....

That’s not slope soaring, though.

2 hours ago, satinet said:

No probs

thumb_P1070127_1024 (1).jpg

Neither is this.

Way off thread both of you!

In other news, I’ve heard from Manny Williamson ( BMFA), who says: 

“The artificial slope looks like an interesting idea but I am not sure it would be a viable at the National Centre due to cost and utilisation, however, we are always open to ideas, particularly where there is a good case and supporting evidence/groundwork.

We do have a natural slope fairly close to the Centre so there is an opportunity for those who are in the area and wish to slope soar.”

I take this as an invitation to make a proper case if we think it is worth proceeding.

Munch197
8 minutes ago, oipigface said:

We do have a natural slope fairly close to the Centre so there is an opportunity for those who are in the area and wish to slope soar."

Burrough hill I assume by this? As its only 12 miles down the road. 

For anyone interested it's NW or SW and good amount of rotor on landing. 

pete beadle

Hi all

Quote - "We do have a natural slope fairly close to the Centre so there is an opportunity for those who are in the area and wish to slope soar.” unquote

Anyone know where this existing slope is? I'm surprised that, if there is a usable slope "fairly close" to the centre,  Manny didn't just say "Oh but there IS a slope available already..........or am I just being difficult - again?

Breaking News!!!!!!! Munch197 is ahead of me, and my slow typing, on this, so IS it Borough Hill?..........

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Munch197

It's the only decent slope in the area. Next closest is the peaks I think.

A view from the top

IMG_20180909_144320.jpg

pete beadle

Hi Munch 197

Best wind direction(s)? good landing area? NT land? Private owner? anyone actually flown there? Marks out of ten?.........:)

Several ISA members are going to the National Centre for an Awayday in April.......they'll be taking ELG planes, but could take one or two slope soarers to make an assessment with,  if its worth it:thumbsup:.........

Regards

Pete

BARCS 1702