Hello!

Tooks

So, I’m new here, and thought it only polite to say hello!

There is rarely a day goes by when I’m not involved in some kind of aviation, I work in the aviation profession supporting grey pointy things that go very quickly, but that’s probably as much as I should say about that!

My previous posting was working with full size Grob gliders, and they re-kindled my interest in non-powered flight that I’d had ever since a glider experience flight in my teens. 

Alongside all this, I’ve been aero modelling off and on, following in my fathers footsteps. I’m a much better builder than pilot I think it’s fair to say, and I’ve had more than my fair share of wrecked models... But, I still own and fly a drone regularly (for aerial landscape photography really), an electric fixed wing trainer aircraft, and a trio of electric 2m ish foam gliders. I’ve also got a partially built G-103 model that one day I hope to bungee launch. Can’t see that going well though to be honest!

I’ve joined up really as my interests have gone more and more towards rc  soaring and gliding the last couple of years, and fairly recently I picked up a 1m DLG (a composite one) and that has really got me hooked! Laying in my sick bed recently I also watched a lot of F3J/F5J YouTube videos, and I just know that’s where I’m headed longer term! My experience of piles of balsa/foam in recent years though has led me to go steady this time around, and I hope to learn from the folks on here whilst I ponder the best way into it all. 

Anyway, I’ve gone on, and thanks for reading this far if you ddI!

Looking forward to joining in.

• Like 1

Welcome to the group Tooks and hopefully we will see you at some of the comps in the future.

I only returned to modelling four years ago and during that time became hooked on F5J and Esoaring.  the guys on the site are really helpful and welcoming and I am sure all of the answers to all of your questions are contained on here somewhere.

Good luck with your building and flying and see you out on the ground soon, hopefully.

Kind regards

Eamon

Thanks for the welcome Eamon!

I’ve been browsing the forum for some time before joining, there are indeed some very helpful and knowledgeable people here. 

I’ve been reading about the home built composite 3m+ gliders, really interesting. 

Iain

• Like 1

Iain,

Colin and Kevin are the leads in that area, and the investment is significant, but I can say, I bought 2nd hand composite models and they are competitive, as once you have a decent model, it all comes down to the pilot, and that is where the most consistent flourish and the rest of us follow.

That said the comp days are great fun and as I said the guys are very helpful and encouraging.  If you get the chance just pop along to a couple to watch, they always need timers, and get a feel for it. but I warn you once you do there will be no going back.

Thankfully, people like Bernie from esoaring gadgets will give you a raffle ticket with any large purchases to pretend you won them rather than paid 😉

Glad to see you joining and hopefully more will follow.

regards

Eamon

Thanks again Eamon, and I will get myself along to a competition soon. 

I do get the feeling it will be a rabbit hole, but hey, been down those before!

Iain. 

• Like 1

Thank you Pete, that’s good to hear. 

Yes, I won’t be doing my default which is to head straight in, buy all the wrong stuff, do it in the wrong way, and then have to do it all again but  properly...

I will definitely be visiting as a spectator a couple of times, I’m perusing the dates now. 

Iain. 

• Like 1

SilentPilot
2 hours ago, Tooks said:

Thank you Pete, that’s good to hear. 

Yes, I won’t be doing my default which is to head straight in, buy all the wrong stuff, do it in the wrong way, and then have to do it all again but  properly...

I will definitely be visiting as a spectator a couple of times, I’m perusing the dates now. 

Iain. 

I did that with RC helicopters.

Learning to fly with a CP isn’t advisable, but hey I didn’t listen, it damn near put me off altogether :( 

Sounds like you’re off to a good start! 

Tony 

31 minutes ago, SilentPilot said:

I did that with RC helicopters.

Learning to fly with a CP isn’t advisable, but hey I didn’t listen, it damn near put me off altogether :( 

Sounds like you’re off to a good start! 

Tony 

I don’t want to come across as ‘me too’, but I’ve just sold off the last of my helicopters. 

I started with a co-axial 250 class thing (sensible) but then went to a  Trek 450 CP (daft), which made a fair size hole in the lawn within 60s and got me to experience my first (and only so far!) LiPo fire... 

There are tiny pieces of Ducted Fan Vampire Jet still at RAF Syerston, but that’s another story, or folly.

No, Gliders are where I’m happiest I think, my brain can just about keep up with them and they do take me to a happy place whilst flying, which is as it should be I think. 

I just know there’s much more for me to learn about it, and the weather reading and thermalling etc interest me  as much as the aircraft  

Iain

• 2 weeks later...
  • Committee Member
Nick Jackson

Hi Tooks,

Belated welcome to the forum.

Hopefully you're keeping an eye on events at the Buckminster BMFA centre, just down the road from you?  Two events there it would be worth dropping in on if you are thinking of having a go at glider competitions in the future: informal hand launched glider workshop 20-21 April - specifically designed for people new to the discipline.  And Radioglide 25-27 May - several different electric launch and hand launch glider comps. You might also be interested in the Ghost Squadron aerotow 4-6 May - spectacular scale gliders and tow planes.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies Nick, I missed your post somehow! 

I really tried to get over for the Easter event at Buckminster, but family commitments took priority.

I’ve got the other two events you mentioned in my diary though, and should be able to get to one or both of them, thank you for the heads up. 

Iain

• Like 1